It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Nucynta for BT?

Hello Friends,

I was wondering if Nucynta had any usefulness as a BT med? My Norco is failing, it's been barely a blip of relief when I've needed it lately. I wouldn't mind switching it up to something that works, but I also don't want to draw too much attention from my PCP.

I could ask my PCP for IR Oxymorphone -but first I thought I would ask you guys about more benign options.

~

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: Nucynta for BT?

The Oxymorphone (Opana ER) is already in play at 10mg/tid. My Norco is 30 pills/month/prn..... Can't get too carried away with that allotment. When I have BT pain it requires 2-3 Norco's to cut through......

I'd like a new BT, but IR Oxymorphone isn't really a good choice since the onset is slow and the action long. I've already concluded Oxycodone doesn't work for my anxiety. Dilaudid is just about the only other high power fast acting Narc available..... So that's why I wonder about Nucynta. They say the onset is 30-45 minutes which is pretty good, but will it work is my question.

People have a love/hate with Nucynta as well as Opana, either it works or it doesn't....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

I hated Nucynta. Made me stupid. i couldn't think of the thoughts that were right there on the tip of my tongue

Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Back to the question; Is it a good choice for a BT med? Is it stronger than Norco? Any other suggestions for a BT med if I rule out Oxycodone? Anyone having good results from Dilaudud?

Also, regarding Compounding Pharmacies. Anyone used one? Could they mix up a 30mg pill of straight Hydocodone? Is it costly?

Last edited by Isotope; 02-22-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: add

Old 02-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
(female)

nchantng HB User

isotope - I would like to ask you (please don't get upset with me, it's a question with genuine concern) why you seem so intent on going in to the doctor to get what you want. I think research is always good, but your Doctor is the one who went to med school! He has a wealth of knowledge that far exceeds yours and is not just there to write scripts for you when you want them. When you and I first interacted you were taking norco or hydro prn and getting 30/mo. In such a short time you have gone through Oxycontin and now are on Opana 10mg/tid and THREE norco is not cutting it? That is quite a jump in meds in a short time. Maybe you can go in with a pain diary keep a daily diary of your pain/time/intensity etc and a log of how you take your meds, and then ask him to help you manage your pain. Thats truly his job. I would think constantly asking about narcotic medication is going to be a red flag in the future.

respectfully,
Heather

Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hello-

I do most of my inquiring and venting about meds here. My PCP is not aware of it at all, and on the rare occasions that I do go in with suggestions, they are just options that I want feedback on.... You may be a type that avoids red flags with your Doctor, I don't know.

Opana is quite a bit stronger than Norco, so it's not any revelation that its effectiveness could be waning by comparison. I'm actually pretty happy with where I'm at now as far as pain relief but like I said, it does take 2-3 Norco to get on top of BT pain. It's not so much of a problem at the moment since I haven't run short yet, I haven't called for early refills or anything like that.

And, I also wonder if perhaps trading Norco for the possibly more benign psuedo-Narc Nucynta is a good practical move?

Yes, I'm a constantly trying to think of new and better solutions.... I'm a bit 'crazy' in case you haven't heard. Crazy people spend a lot of time spinning. I'm reading about meds as part hobby, part obsession, and partly to explore possible improvements.

But, to answer your question, no, my PCP is not being pestered by his patient.

~

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
(male)

first there89 HB User

I agree with the red flag BS, im 21y/o male i get red flags either way so I may aswell be upfront and i tell my doctor I have done research talked to other doctors etc... and just decide whats best and try it granite i do not ever say no im not trying that because im down to anything. i found that fentanyl lozenges were VERY helpful for EXTREME BT pain

Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlovesdogs View Post
I hated Nucynta. Made me stupid. i couldn't think of the thoughts that were right there on the tip of my tongue
Same here.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Porbably not the best med for breakthrough, as its onset of action can be a bit slow, although its duration of action is somewhat mkre prolonged than the usual 3-4 hours.

Morphine or hydromorphone would perhaps be more sensible steps up from norco 10/325, given that oxy is a non starter for you, either than, or simply take 2 of the Norco.

Taking the morphine/hydromorphone with 1000mg of acetaminophen (2 x extra strength tylenol) can give a boost to the releif it offers, provided you dont excede 4000mg per day fromall sources

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 02-23-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks John, that's all I wanted to know. I think I'll stick with Norco for the time being.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Have you tried the simple measure of taking 2 Advil Liquigels with your Norco - they can substantialy add to the releif it gives. Given that you can buy a small bottle for about five bucks, it might be a worthwhile experiment

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread