It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Lightbulb Time magazine cover story

Just got my Time mag in the mail with "UNDERSTANDING PAIN" in bright red, all caps on cover. In case anyone is interested...the article will probably be on their website soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to NOTSONUTSO For This Useful Post:
Railroad Man (04-06-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Time magazine cover story

It will be interesting what take they will have in the article...This is a many sided issue, as we all know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
(female)

superspy HB Usersuperspy HB User

The article is online on their website.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

Wonderful article. Thanks for posting it.

Carol
Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Old 02-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I got my magazine in the mail yesterday and immediately read the cover story and a few supporting articles. I'm giving to my husband to read too so maybe it will help answer some questions for him. I was hoping it would have been a little more detailed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonces1 For This Useful Post:
Railroad Man (04-06-2011), rayefaye (03-05-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
(female)

After you guys read it, I would be interested in hearing comments. I have a few people in mind who I want to read the "Livin with Pain: What happens when you can't make it go away?"

Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
(female)

Question Re: Time magazine cover story

So did anyone else read the article? I was so hoping to start a discussion. Oh well.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I think the article would be a good intro to chronic pain for people, and good for friends and relatives of chronic pain patients to read, to give them some insite as to what we go through.

I also hope that it might convince some people who have given up on medicine to try again, people who have become dscouraged, stopped going for treatment, and just spend every day living with their pain, who might be encouraged by this artile to give medicine another shot.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (04-04-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Trying to find it on their website. Sounds interesting and I saw the cover of the magazine while sitting in the doctor's office but didn't get a chance to pick it up.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
(female)

Lightbulb Re: Time magazine cover story

I wanted to share two letters to the editor of Time magazine regarding the Pain issue. The first one is from a woman in Ridgecrest, CA & reads:

< edited >

I'm trying to decide whether I should attempt to share these letters & the articles with my doctor when I see her next month. I recall when I first began as her patient she emphasized that she insists on compliance with her patients. She actually told me if I did not comply with all of her "orders," she would withhold my percocet from me. This was back in Dec. 2007. She's never done this but continues to minimize pain. She is a family practioner so that has a lot to do with it.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-05-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Please do not copy and paste from another website. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

In my opinion, presenting the article and/or letters to you doctor may be taken as accusatory. The doctor makes the guidelines for his/her practice. If they don't like a certain treatment or medications, require compliance with a set treatment plan, it's all the doctor's decision. We all hope we will find a good PM doctor and that he/she will be open to discussion about treatment options. I think a doctor may state he/she treats the patients at his/her discretion and " no article will alter my education and experience which guide me in my practice". While I will ask my PM doc about medications or treatments I've heard of or read about, I wouldn't attempt to change his approach to PM if he wasn't open to discussion.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #12
(female)

I see your point although I doubt sharing the article with her would have much if any impact. I would like her to become more knowledgable about "pseudoaddiction." I've been known to obsessively count & re-count my percocet. This particular doctor once told me my behaviors mimicked 'drug-seeking.' I had a nightmare experience with another doctor back in 08. It is extremely depressing to know I will spend the rest of my life fighting for pain relief & having to defend myself against the suspicion that seems to occur with all chronic pain sufferers.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
(male)

fredda HB User

That was a great article!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

not to mention i think alot of pm drs are well read-this i believe about mine-he is easy to talk to me and i always give his suggestions/orders my full cooperation. but if something is not helping me-he hears me and does his best to make me more comfortable and i never feel rushed or intimidated-i currently am experiencing a problem with the opana he has recently prescribed-my pain has not been effected and i thin i have given them a fair chance-he told me they are twice as strong as the oxycontin i was taking-i stopped because they gave me severe anxiety but did help the pain alot better than opana-i have tried morphine sulphate generic in past and it still was better than opana-my ins pays for a brand name of morphine sulfate-kadian-an i believe in alot of cases brand name makes a difference-for example he also gave me opana ir 10 for bt-bot my ins let me have them but sent me a letter they would no longer pay for the opana ir cuz not on formula-so the pharmcy gave me this time generic oxymorphone-and they are crap-the bran name opana ir 10 mg worked better, much bettr evan than the opana er

Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

OpanaER worked relatively well for me but MS Contin in generic is far cheaper on my ins plan so for now I remain on MS Contin. I had the reduced co-pay card for Opana ER but that expired. Since I don't work I don't see the need to spend more than generics if at all possible. So my neurontin, soma,percocet and ms contin are all generics and $10 each.

Closed Thread