It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
(male)

MarylandWest HB UserMarylandWest HB User
Brand New to PM and just got a referral in Maryalnd any info would be great.

Ok just quick background. I have had 3 foot surgeries in the past year on the 1st MTP (where the big toe connects to the foot) due to the fact that I wore all the cartilege away in the joint and was pretty much dealing with bone on bone in that joint, needless to say......Awful Pain:

1st surgery had an arthrosurface hemicap implanted in 12/09. Worked for about 3 months and back to agony. Body rejeceted the implant.

2nd surgery 7/10 first implant removed and replaced by a silicone implant. Worked for about a month and even worse pain then before. Problem was too much scar tissue and bone work.

3rd surgery 11/10 all implants removed and cadaver bone installed to lengthen toe due to all the surgeries. Joint has been fused with a metal plate and 5 screws. Recovery was tough off from work for 9 weeks (0 sick leave left). It has left me in unbelievable pain every day, can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time, cant run, cant play with my 3 children, have been on 15mg Roxi's after surgery, then percoset, then vicodin, then back up percocet 10/325. Can't sleep life pretty much sucks cause my foot is in soo much pain that it effects my life everyday and night. So after going back and forth between my PCP and my Podiatrist, they referred me to (See below.) Only problem is, I have never seen a PM and have heard horror story after horror story about Doc treating them like junkies, addicts, doctor shipping, etc. So here it is.......Just got a referral to the Center for Pain Management in Maryland. Has anyone had fortunate or unfortunate dealings with this medical group? I read all the threads in the message board and it seems like finding a good PM doctor is kind of like winning the lottery and all I have right now is a ticket waiting for the drawing. Any information would be greatful. I spoke to my referring doctor and he said he has never had a problem with the doctors there but as chronic pain sufferers on this board I feel like I would get an honest opinion that people may be hesitant to tell their PCP/POD.
Thanks and sorry for the "book"
MDWEST

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
(male)

MarylandWest HB UserMarylandWest HB User
Re: Brand New to PM and just got a referral in Maryalnd any info would be great.

forgot to add, I'm a 37year old male who used to hit the gym atleast 3-4 times a week. Don't smoke, barely drink and no illegal drugs ever!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User
Re: Brand New to PM and just got a referral in Maryalnd any info would be great.

Hmmm. That is such a generic name. Where is it exactly? Is it affiliated with a hospital or university? I live in western, MD, and have been driving several hours east to go to the Blaustein Pain Center at Johns Hopkins. I have been very happy with the procedures they have done and the general direction they have given me. I have my local doctor prescribe and change my pain meds though. Any additional info might help me in helping you. I did a lot of research in selecting a PM place. Best wishes. Lisa

Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hi, welcome to the boards. I have a question for you that I hope won't sound to shocking. Have they ever discussed amputation of the big toe, to illeviate the problem? I only ask because I have a Degenerative Cartiledge Disease in both my knees, which is spreadig to my hips and wrists. My left knee is basically donor material, screws and rods, with only 15% cartiledge left. My right knee has only 20% cartiledge left. So I know the pain you refer to. I've deal with this since 1987. I've had 13 surgeries on both knees. I've been on narcotic pain management for the last 8 years.

As for the Pain Clinic and discussions of horror on the board, one thing you have to remember is that, the amount of people on this board is very small. Out of all the people in pain managment we represent a very small number, so there are many, many people out there who are in Pain Management who may have great experiences with their Pain Management docs and we just don't know.

I have been with the same doctor for 12 years, she is my GP and she handles all of my pain management, I trust her explicitly and she listens to me, my ideas on my care, my information on new meds, etc.

I've been with a Pain Mangement clinic but it didn't work because they were into biometrics, and injections, etc. I already get injections from my ortho surgeon, and wasn't interested in the biometric feedback route, but they were very nice, just not my thing.

Kat

Closed Thread