It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
(male)

freddy0303 HB Userfreddy0303 HB User
MYLAN fentanyl patch, please advise

Hello, Iam new to this forum but need some true hands on experience. I have used 150mcg per 48hr, " sandoz" fentanyl with great outcome. This week my pharmacy is filling script with "Mylan". Should i be concerned about this?Once i got watson brand and it was like i didnt even have a patch on.I went thru horrible withdrawl.Got the sandoz and felt fine. Please advise if i should stay away from the mylan brand or will everything be ok. Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Re: MYLAN fentanyl patch, please advise

Hmmm... I have been on Mylan since I started the patch and never had a problem. However, I was recently in the hospital for four days and they had to administer my patch change and it just so happened the patch type that the hospital used was Sandoz generic. Well, when I got home I had to change my patch immediately, because I didn't feel like I was getting any pain relief from at all and actually felt like I was going through withdraws. It was bizarre and all this time I had read such great things about the Sandoz patch.

I guess my point is, (and this is definitely not scientific, but from personal observation/experience and things I've read from the experiences of others), is that it seems our body chemistry grows accustomed to whatever patch type we start with and change brands seems to be difficult to adjust to for many and it seems like the body starts going through withdraws of sorts until the body adjusts to the new brand. So, there may definitely be some adjustment period. I have really found that Mylan's Matrix delivery works wonderfully and I love the smaller patch size.

Did you ask the pharmacy what happened with your usual brand? Was there any way they could have special ordered your usual brand?

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

~ Fiona Jo

The Following User Says Thank You to Fiona_Jo For This Useful Post:
freddy0303 (03-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
(male)

I really appreciate your feedback. All i know from experience is the watson brand that had the "reservoir" style patch was a horrible expereince. Seeing that the mylan and sandoz are the same in design i feel the absorption should be ok. The med is in the adhesive on both mylan and sandoz so ill keep you all posted. Feel good.

Last edited by freddy0303; 03-07-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
(male)

I really appreciate your feedback.How long were you on the sandoz till you noticed withdrawl? All i know from experience is the watson brand that had the "reservoir" style patch was a horrible expereince. Seeing that the mylan and sandoz are the same in design i feel the absorption should be ok. The med is in the adhesive on both mylan and sandoz so im pretty confident i will be ok. The reason for change is because my pharms dist. claims mfg delays from sandoz. So i had the choice of malinkrodt, watson, mylan. So since i have seen the mylans and there like the sandoz were the med is in the adhesive i chose the mylan. I have actually read mixed things per mylan and sandoz. So maybe since delivery method is the same ill be ok. Keep you posted.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I was on patches for 1 1/2 years and I used either the sandoz or mylan brand. I actually preferred the Mylan brand I thought it worked better and it stayed on better. Hopefully you'll have an okay switch. The Watson brands were pretty much junk, I had to use them once when the pharm was out of the other 2 brands, and it was awful.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
freddy0303 (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Hi Freddie,
I'm sorry your having problems getting the patch you are used to but it lets me know there is still a problem with getting my patch again this month which is the Duragesic brand patch manufactured by Janssen. They also manufacture the Sandoz patch, so this in not entirely a surprise to me.

I was hoping the manufacturer problem would be resolved by now, but apparently not. I had to jump through hoops last month to get my patches. The pharmacist I regularly use told me the manufact. of Duragesic was halting it development of the matrix style patch. OH GREAT!! I finally called Janssen and they told me this was due to some type of "investigation". Of course they said this was only temporary and they expected the problem to be resolved very soon. Well it's one month later and obviously there are still problems.

By seeing your post it lets me know that I need to get ready for another circus this month when it's time to refill my patches.

If anyone can find any information on what kind of "investigation" is going on I'd love to hear about it. I can't find any information on the web to explain this mess.

I really hope the Mylan works for you friend. I have not been able to use it in the past but I do think it's because I started using the D. brand in the beginning and IMO there is a huge difference in the two brands.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bullymom

Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
(male)

I really appreciate everybodys feedback. Heres something ill throw out there im curious about. My skin does not get irritated at all. Best placement for me is on the side of shoulders "upper arm", my question is by rotating shoulder to shoulder can the tissue get over absorbed? What i mean is by having the patch in the same spot does it not penetrate and absorb as good as if it was not used on the same spot? From when i have called sandoz and other mfgs they claim it doesnt matter. The reason they claim to not use same spot is to avoid irritation. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thx

Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy0303 View Post
I really appreciate your feedback.How long were you on the sandoz till you noticed withdrawl? All i know from experience is the watson brand that had the "reservoir" style patch was a horrible expereince. Seeing that the mylan and sandoz are the same in design i feel the absorption should be ok. The med is in the adhesive on both mylan and sandoz so im pretty confident i will be ok. The reason for change is because my pharms dist. claims mfg delays from sandoz. So i had the choice of malinkrodt, watson, mylan. So since i have seen the mylans and there like the sandoz were the med is in the adhesive i chose the mylan. I have actually read mixed things per mylan and sandoz. So maybe since delivery method is the same ill be ok. Keep you posted.
Interestingly enough it was a reservoir style patch that they gave me in the hospital that caused the feelings of withdrawal and inadequate pain relief. I thought it was Sandoz, but maybe it was actually Watson now that you mention that Sandoz now is also a Matrix style patch. I much prefer the matrix delivery system and feels it works much more effectively. So, since you've been on the Matrix delivery system, I would think the transition should be just fine.

Quote:
I really appreciate everybodys feedback. Heres something ill throw out there im curious about. My skin does not get irritated at all. Best placement for me is on the side of shoulders "upper arm", my question is by rotating shoulder to shoulder can the tissue get over absorbed? What i mean is by having the patch in the same spot does it not penetrate and absorb as good as if it was not used on the same spot? From when i have called sandoz and other mfgs they claim it doesnt matter. The reason they claim to not use same spot is to avoid irritation. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thx
That is actually what I do as well (I don't have any issues with irritation either). Given that it's doing it's job and keeping my pain managed, I don't think there is any issues with alternating arms at all. That is the other downfall of the reservoir style patch vs. the matrix delivery system is the tendency for reservoir style to cause skin irritation. Which I haven't had any irritation from the Mylan patch.

I really hope the transition goes well for you, keep us posted on how you're doing.

~ Fiona Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 03-08-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I prefer the matrix as well and was not thrilled that I could not get Duragsic Brand and had to go with Actavis which is still the gel resevoire. I am not really fond of the Mylan but I love the size and wish they all would go to that small a patch.

I do get skin irritation. My doc prescribed the allergy med flonase and I spray it on the area where I am going to put the patch and no problems. For some reason, I get very red and itchy on one side of my body so I tend to put the patch on the same place every time. I have never had a problem that way and never noticed anything differently when I was switching sides. In fact on the one side I haven't wore a patch there in over a year and the skin still itches like crazy just where I used to wear the patch!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
(male)

Hello all, Well i just picked up my Mylans and so far i can say that the adhesive is much better then the sandoz.Also i love how much smaller they are. From talking with you all and others, it seems that when using the matrix style like sandoz/mylan were the fent is mixed in with the adhesive going from other brands that use matrix style there normally is not any issues. Were the problem lies is when you use matrix and switch to a reservoir style patch like a watson. The absorption in the reservoir style is much slower compared to the matrix style. Also for u all to know if you use the mylan brand you can get free overlays. call 800-848-0461 ext 6214 "meredith", if i dont have a overlay bioclusive etc the patches dont last and makes it very tough come shower time, sweating etc. Living in Scottsdale,AZ come summer time you sweat alot and without overlays your going to go thru a patch a day. Kepp you all posted on how the mylans are working.

Last edited by freddy0303; 03-10-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
(male)

Well i would say the switch was no problem at all. The mylans stick alot better and also if u call mylan they will send you free overlays, "covers"

The Following User Says Thank You to freddy0303 For This Useful Post:
Fiona_Jo (03-15-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

Quote:
Hello, Iam new to this forum but need some true hands on experience. I have used 150mcg per 48hr, " sandoz" fentanyl with great outcome. This week my pharmacy is filling script with "Mylan". Should i be concerned about this?Once i got watson brand and it was like i didnt even have a patch on.I went thru horrible withdrawl.Got the sandoz and felt fine. Please advise if i should stay away from the mylan brand or will everything be ok. Thankyou

No one can tell you what to stay away from as far as brands go. They work differently for different people. You will just need to jump in there and try it.

For me, when I was on the patch, I started with Mylan and it made me nauseous to the point of vomiting. Like, nauseous 24/7. I could tell when my patch needed changed because the nausea was leaving.

I really liked the Sandoz, if I were comparing it to Mylan. Same nausea issue but not as intense, and I really do think that it covered my pain better and especially stuck to the skin far better.

But in the end the nausea was just too much and I had to get off the Fent.

Last edited by Brokend; 03-14-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: speln

Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thumbs up Re: MYLAN fentanyl patch, please advise

Quote:
Well i would say the switch was no problem at all. The mylans stick alot better and also if u call mylan they will send you free overlays, "covers"
I am happy things are going well with the switch Mylan. I wasn't even aware that Mylan would send out the free overlay "covers", that is great. I just called and ordered them as well.

I hope the transition continues to go well.

~ Fiona Jo

Closed Thread