It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
(female)

MagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB User
Question SSI Denial Question

Hello,
I applied for SSI and was denied. Some interesting things happened during the time I was waiting for a reply. I had an MRI to find out what was wrong with my back. This information was to be added to the other medical problems I applied under. I personally took the MRI results to my local ssa office. Twice! Both times I called to make sure it was forwarded my analyst and she said she never got it. This over a 2 month period. After calling both the SSA and my analyst several times concerning this problem. I got the denial letter in the mail 3 weeks before I was told the decision would be made. Call me crazy, but it was like this evidence was "lost" on purpose. It was important evidence I was sure would get me approved. My denial letter is full of untruths about what I reported and what they consider safe for me to do for work. Things my doctor flat out told me not to do. And things I claimed are missing in the report.
My question is,is it crazy to think they "overlooked" evidence to give me a denial hoping I'd go away? I plan to appeal this, does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by MagicPotion; 03-08-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: SSI Denial Question

It isn't at all uncommon for first applications to be denied; it's almost routine unless you are on your death bed! Do appeal and have copies of everything that lends credence to your physical claims. If you are denied again, then I would get an attorney who specializes in SSI and SSD to help you with it. Usually they get get an approval within a few months. There shouldn't be a charge for the consultation and the lawyer won't take your case unless he is pretty sure he can win as he only gets paid if you win!

Best of luck....and hang in there.

Carol
Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

The Following User Says Thank You to maltluver For This Useful Post:
MagicPotion (03-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
(female)

MagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB UserMagicPotion HB User

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Consider an attorney but one that ONLY does disability law. The way SS works is when you submit the claim everything "freezes" and the evaluation is done by what was submitted. Then if you appeal you gather everything relevant and send for reconsideration. The people at the local office don't have the ability to continually add medical information to your file. My SS attorney did the initial application and submitted my request for reconsideration. There's a lot more information on the DISABILITIES board here on Health Boards with many discussions about SSDI/SSI.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

one really huge thing you have to do here before anything else gets submitted for your reconsideration phase is get ALLL the records that ssd used to determine your denial if that occurs. almost everyonmes medical records just seriously DO have at least some forms of errors in them like actual dx you had made and supposed to be documented by that particular doc that didn't or even bigger errors. this is what i did after i was denied and was astounded at amount of stuff that was NOT even in some of my many docs info on my visits along with missing Dxes too(never "just assume' that anything you think is in your records is just 'there'). in some cases, YOU yourself can end up obtaining even more good info yourself than they happened to even give to SSD as well. that also happened in my case(i was told this by one medical records dept when I asked for my records). but anything that got used, you just really DO need to see everything yourself.

my recon phase was also when i decided to hire my attorney too. i really DO think that this makes things appear more serious or official when simply hiring one(since some people DO attempt that inital then give up completely if not awarded). i really was not so much concerned with how much of my backpay she would get as i was about just even BEING awarded benefits at all. i simply had to have an income again. and i was awarded on that recon phase too. an attorney will also be able to get a copy of all your records submitted too. you can then find out if what you get from any docs as far as records was even GIVEN to ssd then as well.

just make certain that you have written down every concievable place that someone just may have ANY good medical documentation on you at all. like i had my own 'caseworker' who my ins co attached to me after my spinal cord surgery was done to help me navigate thru all the brand new crap that was my life? we talked at least every two weeeks for the first year following my discharge from the rehab facility i got sent to after cord surgery. i obtained HER notes and found in them a total and complete 'timeline' of all my documanted Dxs that just slammed me after SCI. it was perfect for what i needed, and just backed up ALLL my many docs notes too. so there just CAN be some places you still may have some form of documentation at that you may not have thought of yet too.

i also made copies of anything that i personally sent in too. it helps esp if you have to fill out the very same things again.

and i DO agree with AZ that this HBs disabilities forum is wonderful for questions and answers for anything ssd and ssi. i used it too while going thru MY disability "journey' too. good luck to you in being awarded this next round. and DO get a specific disability lawyer as AZ mentioned. you see commercials for these people ALL the time. thats how i found mine,and she was great. Marcia

The following user gives a hug of support to feelbad:
MagicPotion (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
(female)

I didn't know they had a disability board thanks. I'll check it out! You guys gave me some really helpful tips

Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
(female)

mytrose43 HB Usermytrose43 HB Usermytrose43 HB Usermytrose43 HB User

Get a attorney,I was denied the first time and went to appeal which was also denied,I got a attorney and was approved the first time .They say everyone is denied the first time but i know this is not true .Just don't give up..GOOD LUCK
Valerie

Closed Thread