It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

conductor2244 HB User
please help depressed due to chronic pain

I have been diagnosed with Ehlers danlos syndrome. it's a rare connective tissue disorder that has numerous painful sypmtoms. I have dislocated every finger on both hands numerous times. I had reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder after 6 dislocations. I have also had a disc replacement on L4-5 level, which was diagnosed as a Falied back surgery. My left shoulder has come out of socket twice in the last week, but my ortho surgeon is reluctant to do the same procedure that was done on my right shoulder, due to advanced osteoarthritis in all of my joints(other than my hip).

My family doctor who also specializes in pain management has me on endocet 5mg 3x daily, and for a few months I had my life back. I also take soma and meloxicam. After about 6 months i noticed the percocet stopped working. My pain got worse by the week. I have not been able to sleep at night or do my schoolwork for more than a few minutes at a time due to the lower back and neck pain. I told my doctor all of this and asked about changing or increasing my meds along with starting physical therapy, accupuncture, or anything that could possibly help along with the medication.

He has been completly unresponsive. He just sits there and writes the same rx that I am telling him is not working anymore.I even suggested trying lortab or ultram. I know these are considered less strong, but I am not in it for the high, I just want to feel better. He refused to let me try the lortab saying " if percocet is not working for you lortab will not either." He would not even reffer me to a PT or chiropractor(sp?)

My orthopedic surgeon says that I am on the wrong type medication. He says that I am on a short acting med for a chronic problem and that it is not surprising that I am still in this much pain. He has reffered me to an actual PM clinic, but it will be 2 months before they can see me. I am starting to get panic attacks and having really bad anxiety that I think is stemming from being in moderate to sever pain all day every day. My GP says that the pain I am in should not cause anxiety and or depression. I am no doctor, but even I know that's not true. I thought maybe he was unresponsive because he thought I wanted benzo's or something like that. So I told him that I did not want those type of drugs, but still he acted as though I was making it all up.

I dont know how much more of this pain I can take. The percocet just is not working anymore, and I am still taking it as prescribed. I cry myself to sleep many of the nights just because it feels as though it's all to much to deal with. I have lost close to 50 pounds the past year and a half, and cant get my appetite back. I get really nervous for no reason and always feel as though people are judging me. I hate going to the pharmacy to get my scripts filles because they look at me like a drug addict. I onced asked the pharmacist about any vitamins or supplements to help with the joint pain and spinal problems, and he just said "your taking a strong drug for pain, if that does not help vitamins wont either.

I have never failed any drug tests or asked for early refills or anything like that. Why is my doctor treating me this way? Am I doing something wrong? Is it not normal to develop a tolerance to the percocet within 6 months. I feel as though my life is going by me. I am only 22 but I feel much older. I see my friends doing all the things that I used to do and it really depresses me. I am hoping the PM clinic I go to will treat me better than my current doc. My pain does not care that I am only 22, so I do not see why that should be that big of an issue. Am I wrong? What kind of a medication would be more helpful for my problems? Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice. I don't know where else to turn anymore.

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: conductor2244
Catlady1971 (03-27-2011), havefaithinyou (03-13-2011), storm1979 (12-29-2011), tailwind (03-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
Re: please help depressed due to chronic pain

I am so sorry you are going through this. It's bad enough to be in chronic, severe pain, without having a doctor who ignores you. Can you change to a different family doctor? Even tho the new dr. may not be willing to prescribe narcotics, I don't think I would want to stay with someone so unfeeling.

It does seem like 2 months is a long time to wait with a referral. I really don't know if your dr. would be willing to call them and get you in sooner. What about your ortho? Since he seems to think a change in medication is needed, would he be willing to prescribe just until you see the pm doctor? It's worth a try, I would think.

You're entirely right that your depression and weight loss could very well be due to the pain you are in, tho I would hope that your doctor has checked to be sure there isn't another underlying problem. An anti-depressant would be a good idea as well.

I really hope one of these doctors you have now will be willing to help you through the next couple of months. Please continue to post with questions or comments. This board is full of great, compassionate people who will do their best to help you through this.

Carol
Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
(male)

conductor2244 HB User

thanks carol. I was actually thinking of asking my ortho. if he would handle my pain management until I can get into the clinic. I called the pm clinic and they said that my medical history would have to be reviewed by their office manager before i can be accepted. Is this normal? It just seems really weird to me that someone that is not even a healthcare prof. gets to decide if my medical needs require PM. If anyone knows anything about that please let me know.

I think a lot of my problems with my gp/pharmacist is due to the fact of my age and i live in such a small town. I dont mean to be ugly but I live in the deep south, and the bottom line is that simple minded rednecks live on every street. Most of my family does not support me and tells everyone that I make things up to get pills and attention. (I am not sure how you can fool MRI's X-rays and CT scans, blood tests, ect, but that's how they are. My father has always been behind me though as well as my grandmother. My friends just do not understand. Even my best friend tries to tell me "my back hurts too and my joints, it cant be that bad". I try to explain to him that he has never been under a knife and has never had more than a headache in his life, but he does not get it.

I do not mean to sound as if there is no one out there who has it worse than I do, because I know that's not true. It just gets really tough when you have very few people to talk to and you deal with the pain every single day of your life. It's almost as if when you explain to someone about pain they think it goes away as soon as there not around you anymore, ya know? It's like they do not realize that it NEVER goes away for you, every hour of every day you hurt. That's a hard thing to get across when you have friends in their early 20's.

I know i'm rambling and I apologize It just feels better to get it out sometimes. I think a big part of the anxiety/depression is not being able to talk about it to hardly anyone, either because i'm afraid of being labled a hypocondriac, or due to the fact most people in my life just do not want to hear about it. It makes me feel much better when i'm able to vent, and I guess that's what I am doing here. Hopefully my experiences with the new PM doctor will be better than with my gp. He finally just said "that's all i can do". I am tired of my healthcare being compromised because said doctor wants to write adipex(sp?) to 95Ibs. girls. Like I said I live in a small town and from what I understand the DEA is really watching this doctor. But all that could be talk as well

Please if anyone one has any advice on what long acting meds worked for them, please let me know what worked for you. what if any are some good natural remedies, herbal meds, anything that could help with advanced osteoarthritis and failed back surgery(L4-5 level). Any advice at all would be great. Again sorry for the rambling, just really needed to vent

Hoping everyone is well,
Conductor2244

Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

Conductor, I am really so very sorry that you aren't getting the support you need....that we ALL need. It's hard to live in chronic pain and to be chastised and belittled just adds to the problems.

There are a number of long-acting medications out there. I believe that when a pt. asks a doctor for a particular medication, they get alarmed, so I always just tell them that what I am taking isn't helping and ask them for something else. You can ask for a long acting medication so that you dont have to take so many every day.

As for your "friends", I have learned that it is best to discuss my issues as little as possible and I have also grown very thick skin. I realize that most people have absolutely NO idea of how difficult life can be for chronic pain patients, so when I'm asked how I am I usually say something like "I'm doing fairly well" and then change the subject. You should never, ever, discuss your meds with anyone even if they ask.

I do understand what you are saying about small town living and how narrow-minded some people can be. You just have to learn to protect yourself from their ignorance and try not to let them bother you. They can't begin to imagine what your life, or mine, is like....I just let people like that who want to make comments about something they know nothing about, well, honesly, I just let it fall on deaf ears.

Don't feel bad for venting....it's healthy! This is a place where you can do that and know that folks understand and empathize with you. Come here whenever you need to let it all hang out. I think this is the best board on the internet for our kinds of problems.

Hang in there conductor.

Carol
Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

The following user gives a hug of support to maltluver:
storm1979 (12-29-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maltluver For This Useful Post:
bullymom (03-09-2011), conductor2244 (03-10-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Chroic pain is as lonely as it is devastating. When someone has cancer and is in considerable pain, nobody tells them to "suck it up." They empathize and encourage the patient to work with their doctor to find a suitable pain management medication. We CP patients, however, enjoy no such empathy. My own mother makes snide remarks about my pain meds. I understand your depression; we're all in this together. I'm here are so are the others, and all you need to do is just holler when things seem down. We'll help you get through it. I promise!

The Following User Says Thank You to dave490 For This Useful Post:
conductor2244 (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Two things spring to mine

1. transfer from the Endocet to a long acting analgesic (Oxycontin, Opana, MS Contin, methadone) to give 24/7 pain coverage

2. Start taking Nortriptyline 75-100mg at night. This can help releive some patients of their chronic pain, it is also a very effective antidepressant drug in these doseages.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
conductor2244 (03-10-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

I'm not sure why the pharmacist told you that was horrible advice. 100mg of Zoloft is only 50% of the max dose, and Zoloft takes several weeks to work effectively. It was the pharmacist that gave bad advice.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

I'm still confounded by this rib injury I sustained 2 weeks ago ..... I'm taking 30mg Oxymorphone a day (for Chronic GI distress) and I can still feel sharp jabs with every breath, and sweat inducing pain with every movement. What the...? I imagine if I had some spinal issue (as many do) I would need at least 100mg/d to knock it down to a tolerable level. Yikes.

Iso

Last edited by Administrator; 05-17-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
I'm still confounded by this rib injury I sustained 2 weeks ago ..... I'm taking 30mg Oxymorphone a day (for Chronic GI distress) and I can still feel sharp jabs with every breath, and sweat inducing pain with every movement. What the...? I imagine if I had some spinal issue (as many do) I would need at least 100mg/d to knock it down to a tolerable level. Yikes.

Iso

You know I've never quite understood how it works either, I take 120mgs of MSContin a day plus 4 or 5 Percocet 10/325's for BT pain and I still feel other types of pain. I always figured that when one was on that much pain meds you'd not feel any pain. But i still feel toothaches, headaches, cuts and bumps, that sort of thing...it's never made sense to me.

Kat

Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Yeppers-

My daily pain meds must be busy doing something else I guess....? Maybe I need a special 'Rib' formula?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

Hey, did you say the Vicodin 7.5 ES works better for you? 30 mg of Oxycodone (Roxicodone) short acting is way stronger than Vicodin of any strength available. Vicodin 7.5 ES is a very short acting medication, usually only lasting 4-6 hrs if your very lucky. You should be on a long acting med of some sort like Ex: Mscontin (long acting Morphine),
Oxycontin (long acting oxycodone), Duragesic (long acting patch, Fentanyl),
Hydromorphcontin (long acting Hydromorphone) available here in Canada, but not the Usa. Opana (long acting Oxymorphone) available in the Usa, but not Canada., Metadol or Dolophine (Methadone), which is a very cheap med with unique properties including being a very potent pain reliever, and long acting medication.
But if you are getting 12 hrs from Vicodin you are very lucky! I am glad you are finally getting some relief for your pain. I have been reading some of your posts here and there, and sounds like you went through alot, especially with the doctors in your area. Just reading those posts and hearing your story
really p#%*^# me off. Anyway, it's great that you feel better.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Iso - have you tried adding Advil to your Opana? It is pretty good for musculoskeletal pain

Old 03-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Vicodin ES is a short acting med, usualy lasts about 4 hours.

Oxycontin does come in low doese (down to 10mg of oyycodone)

You could take a low dose of oxycontin twice a day along with an antiinflamatory painkiller (such as celebrex or mobic), and also have some Vicodin on hand for breakthrough pain. That is a common, and common sense, regimen.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
(female)

tailwind HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by conductor2244 View Post
I have been diagnosed with Ehlers danlos syndrome. it's a rare connective tissue disorder that has numerous painful sypmtoms. I have dislocated every finger on both hands numerous times. I had reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder after 6 dislocations. I have also had a disc replacement on L4-5 level, which was diagnosed as a Falied back surgery. My left shoulder has come out of socket twice in the last week, but my ortho surgeon is reluctant to do the same procedure that was done on my right shoulder, due to advanced osteoarthritis in all of my joints(other than my hip).

My family doctor who also specializes in pain management has me on endocet 5mg 3x daily, and for a few months I had my life back. I also take soma and meloxicam. After about 6 months i noticed the percocet stopped working. My pain got worse by the week. I have not been able to sleep at night or do my schoolwork for more than a few minutes at a time due to the lower back and neck pain. I told my doctor all of this and asked about changing or increasing my meds along with starting physical therapy, accupuncture, or anything that could possibly help along with the medication.

He has been completly unresponsive. He just sits there and writes the same rx that I am telling him is not working anymore.I even suggested trying lortab or ultram. I know these are considered less strong, but I am not in it for the high, I just want to feel better. He refused to let me try the lortab saying " if percocet is not working for you lortab will not either." He would not even reffer me to a PT or chiropractor(sp?)

My orthopedic surgeon says that I am on the wrong type medication. He says that I am on a short acting med for a chronic problem and that it is not surprising that I am still in this much pain. He has reffered me to an actual PM clinic, but it will be 2 months before they can see me. I am starting to get panic attacks and having really bad anxiety that I think is stemming from being in moderate to sever pain all day every day. My GP says that the pain I am in should not cause anxiety and or depression. I am no doctor, but even I know that's not true. I thought maybe he was unresponsive because he thought I wanted benzo's or something like that. So I told him that I did not want those type of drugs, but still he acted as though I was making it all up.

I dont know how much more of this pain I can take. The percocet just is not working anymore, and I am still taking it as prescribed. I cry myself to sleep many of the nights just because it feels as though it's all to much to deal with. I have lost close to 50 pounds the past year and a half, and cant get my appetite back. I get really nervous for no reason and always feel as though people are judging me. I hate going to the pharmacy to get my scripts filles because they look at me like a drug addict. I onced asked the pharmacist about any vitamins or supplements to help with the joint pain and spinal problems, and he just said "your taking a strong drug for pain, if that does not help vitamins wont either.

I have never failed any drug tests or asked for early refills or anything like that. Why is my doctor treating me this way? Am I doing something wrong? Is it not normal to develop a tolerance to the percocet within 6 months. I feel as though my life is going by me. I am only 22 but I feel much older. I see my friends doing all the things that I used to do and it really depresses me. I am hoping the PM clinic I go to will treat me better than my current doc. My pain does not care that I am only 22, so I do not see why that should be that big of an issue. Am I wrong? What kind of a medication would be more helpful for my problems? Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice. I don't know where else to turn anymore.
so sorry for all the pain you go through! I have been dealing with acute and chronic pain for 4 months now. Just in this short time, I have become depressed from the pain alone...not to mention loss of my active life! I can only imagine what you must feel... I think you are right to question and request for any thing that might help. I to no longer get relief from percocet, lortab, etc... And like you, hate having to be on such strong meds....I have started on 3000 iu of vitamin D and it has really helped. I still am in pain, but it has made a differance. Keep pushing and fighting for yourself! I know it is a daunting task.....I think you need to find a DR that BELIEVES you and will really listen and encourage you.
GOOD LUCK

Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
(female)

tailwind HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by conductor2244 View Post

so sorry for all the pain you go through! I have been dealing with acute and chronic pain for 4 months now. Just in this short time, I have become depressed from the pain alone...not to mention loss of my active life! I can only imagine what you must feel... I think you are right to question and request for any thing that might help. I to no longer get relief from percocet, lortab, etc... And like you, hate having to be on such strong meds....I have started on 3000 iu of vitamin D and it has really helped. I still am in pain, but it has made a differance. Keep pushing and fighting for yourself! I know it is a daunting task.....I think you need to find a DR that BELIEVES you and will really listen and encourage you.
GOOD LUCK

Closed Thread