Ok, so monday is my first pm visit.my ortho pulled some strings so I do not have to waint 2 months! I am a 22 year old male, recently diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I have had L4-5 Discs replacement, and two different doctors have both diagnosed me with failed back surgery syndrome. I have also had reconstructive right shoulder surgery due to 6 dislocations. I also have dislocated my left shoulder twice in the past week and have dislocated my fingers too many times to count. I have also been diagnosed with advanced widespread osteoarthritis, especially in my spinal cord and my hands. I am currently taking endocet 5mg every 6 hours or as needed, along with flexaril(sp?)25mg 1/2 tablet every 6 hours, and meloxicam(mobic) These medications are no longer working for me and my family doctor who also specializes in PM is unresponsive when I tell him that these meds are no longer working very well at all(been on them for 10 months) and that I want to start therapy as well instead of just taking pills. My ortho reffered me to the PM doctor I am seeing monday and my questions are:
1. I know I probably need a long acting med instead of a short acting one (my ortho discussed this with me) but from what I hear, its always best not to ask for any certain type of med, so how should i convey this to my PM doctor. I cant sleep at night and the endocet is only helping for about two hours. by the time 6 hours is up and i can take another my pain is so bad, it does not even phase it half the time. What's the best way to talk to my PM doctor, should i just be honest?
2. should I speak up and ask for things such as a tens unit, blocks, therapy, or do they usually just do those things anyway?
3. It seems as though the more I try to get proactive in my care, the more of a jerk my gp seems to become. should I just shut up and let the PM doctor tell me what's best?(btw, *** is so wrong with being educated about your condition and medication? its like as soon as i got proactive in my care he looked at me as a drug seeker)
4. What if they want to do things to me that I am not comfortable with, should I refuse, or will this hurt my chances of getting something that will actually help with the pain.
5. basically what should I expect. I know some of these questions probably seem pretty stupid to some of you, but I just do not know what to expect. Please anyone that can tell me how your first visit to PM went, please, please give me any info you possibly can
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to give me some advice. I know I am really new to the board, and It kinda seems as though if your not a long time poster you cant get any responses, so thank you to anyone who helps
hoping everyone is well,