It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User
Off all meds for last 3 months now. Good and bad.

I haven't posted in quite a while but some of you might remember me. I had the crappy ordeal with the injection happy PM who refused to prescribe meds unless I got the injections too, then my family doc also refused to write anymore since he wanted me in a pain clinic rather than having to prescribe himself, which turned back into the pain clinic being willing to see me for injections only but zero meds. Reason cited was my age (35) and the meds being dangerous and not something they prescribe other than on a short term basis only.

Long story short, 2 weeks before Christmas they cut me off cold turkey for non compliance. I guess they thought they could bully me into taking the expensive injections even after I told them they didn't help, and I ended up with a take it or leave it deal and told them all to stuff it.

The first month off was really hard. It was a horrible time of the year to have to go through that and something I am still a bit upset about today.

The second month wasn't all that bad to be honest. The pain was there, sure, but the withdrawals were gone, depression was lifting and I was starting to be able to get out and do some things.

Here it is on month three now and emotionally/mentally things keep getting better and better. The pain has eased somewhat, which I think is normal once someone quits the meds for a while. I remember hearing from countless sources that while the pain meds worked great, they also were responsible for making the pain worse than normal if you ran out, blocked the body's natural pain killing process, etc. I'm sure some of you are familiar with the... theory I guess.

While the pain improved, just dropping from a daily 6-7 to a 5-6 isn't much to brag about. I have been taking a lot of OTC stuff; Tylenol, Ibuprofen, sleep aids, for the most part. I will drink from time to time too when it gets bad enough but will also lay off the OTC stuff when I do.

Then a few weeks ago I started getting really bad back pain and upper abdominal pain. My liver hurt to even touch it and my kidneys are showing all the signs of damage (to what degree I have no idea yet), which was where the back pain was coming from. They suspect that my gall bladder may be suffering too.
In the meantime between here and the diagnostic tests I really need to lay off the OTC meds. I was averaging 16-20 Tylenol a day and about the same in Ibuprofen, then the sleep aids at night on top of that but still only getting a few hours sleep.

I can't blame anyone but myself, as my doctor told me not to take that much. Yet it still makes me kinda bitter when I think about having to take that much OTC medication to remain functional because 15mg of oxycodone twice a day was too dangerous, according to them.
I never had internal pains like this with the prescription stuff so I'm left wondering what the deal really is. I couldn't get a straight answer out of either doctor I was dealing with. Other than prescription meds are bad for you.

So, I'm alive and rehabbing the back and soul. If it ain't one thing it's the other tough, it seems like. Nothing easy, eh?

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Brokend
Fiona_Jo (03-15-2011), Pegala (03-17-2011), Toonces1 (03-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Off all meds for last 3 months now. Good and bad.

It's nice to see you back. I'm sorry for the issues that you are now facing. I suppose that this is a stupid question, but won't eithre one of the docs you are seeing prescribe something besides the OTC for you to take? I owuld think that they would prefer to prescribe something rather than see you ruin your liver with OTCs.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Remember-a door never shuts that a window doens't open. May sound corney, but it has been true in my life...hang in there...

Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Congrats Brokend! You win!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

It sounds like you've really been through a difficult time. I admire your strength in dealing with this. It angers me what your Doctors have put you through! So, has your primary Physician run any liver function tests? It would seem to me that if your liver is having these issues, he'd rather see on you on the 15 mg. Oxycodone twice a day, rather than having to damage to your liver to get any kind of relief. It just seems ridiculous and obviously if you are needing to take so much OTC pain relievers that you are experiencing extreme pain. Would there be any sort of pain medication your Doctor would be willing to prescribe? There might even be some non-narcotic options that might at least give you better pain relief, with less potential damage to your liver. This just seems ridiculous.

However, I respect your attitude about this. I just feel so bad that you are having to take so much OTC pain reliever that it is potentially causing damage to your liver.

You're in my thoughts.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
(female)

superspy HB Usersuperspy HB User

Wow. You are taking so many OTC meds. That can't be better than 30 mg. of oxycodone per day. Please, please, please, can you find another doctor? Tell your doctors that you are taking the OTC medications because of your pain and tell them that you can't handle the pain without medication. It is sickening that they would rather see you harmed from OTC meds. than prescribe. What a tragedy. They should be ASHAMED.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

wow brokend, I am really sad that you need to do this damage to your liver and kidneys because you can't find adequate pain treatment. I can't see where you live, but can you try to find a doctor in another town or city? It might be worth the drive once per month. This seems so unethical to me. For someone who went into a helping profession, I really don't think the doctor is living up to his/her hypocratic oath. My heart goes out to you.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

So sorry for all you have been through. While a part of me is cheering that you told the PM doctor to stuff it, I am also concerned for you. More people die of accidental Tylenol overdoses per year than prescription pain meds. So please look until you find a doctor who treats you both kindly and appropriately. Best wishes to you!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Have you ever tried SR Tramadol..... in a dose of 400mg/day it is quite potent, but it isnt a controlled drug and has a low addiction potential..... maybe your GP would be willing to prescribe it?

I take tramadol SR 200mg twice a day together with a prescription antiinflamatory, and get pretty good releif

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Brokend-

I'm confused, are taking pain meds or not? You still have pain right? Why would you ever take 16+ Tylenol... did it work?

I understand getting stuck, I'm all about being stuck..... And, it's a breeze to tell someone else what they should do.... So, here is 'me', the guy that thinks he knows something, the guy with all of the answers>

Dude! What were you thinking! Fire your Crap-Docs, ditch the lame Pain Clinics, and forget the Injections.

There are only a Zillion M.D.'s, P.A.'s, and N.P.'s to choose from out there in the world....

Call a Nurse Practitioner, one with his/her own practice, maybe working out of a an old Restored Victorian House or something. There is an LMT on the second floor and an Herb-list on the third floor. Get cozy on her couch, do the share session, walk out with whatever script you want, then go upstairs and get a nice massage, soak in a dark and hot salted tub, read a book about a kid with Asperger's Disease. Plan to visit the Herb-list next time..........Forget the 'system' that racked you and screwed you...... Make your own reality Bro!

See how easy it is.....

Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
(female)

paintednails1 HB User

Hydrocodone 24/7 tore up my stomach so I have been usin Fentanyl patches for almost 4 years. I was vomiting every few days for a couple of years and thought it was the meds. Finally went to an internist and found that I had a chronically inflamed gallbladder. They removed it 4 months ago and my stomach issues stopped. Point is: be careful about the drugs you're injesting and get to a pain doc that can prescribe what you need, but realize that you may have other issues going on that need to be addressed by another kind of doctor.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

Thanks for all the replies. Iso, I think I liked yours the best. Heh. We actually have a NP here in town that is WELL known for writing pain med scripts. I am seriously considering seeing her. These OTC meds are killing me.

Anyway, I went back to my GP today after my tests at the hospital. Gallbladder looked good, elevated liver and kidney functions (not too high though). He said 3200mg/day of the ibuprofen is the ceiling, then 3-4g of Tylenol. That's pretty much what I average so maybe it isn't doing as much harm as it feels like it might be.
We discussed going to see another PM towards the end of the appointment but I told him I'd rather have my dignity. And, honestly, I really don't know if I could sit in front of another new PM and take the kind of treatment and prejudice that the previous ones have given me.

Earlier tonight on Hannity, he and Lisa Ling were discussing the problem of prescription drug abuse. She said that it starts with a prescription for pain, could be yours, could be someone in your family's. She said that people can walk in all kinds of doctor's offices complaining of a back ache and walk out with pain meds in Ohio. She and Hannity both agreed that we need more government oversight to stop that sort of thing... ugh. Idiots.

Closed Thread