It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

paintednails1 HB User
Rash after spinal cord stimulater

I had a spinal cord stimulater implanted 6 weeks ago. A couple of things: I have tremendous pain right under shoulder blades parallel with the incision the surgeon made to guide the wires. Anyone experience this? Know how long to expect this pain? (I am using Lidoderm patches to cope.)

Now... Yesterday I developed a rash which starts at the implant site and stretches across my back. Looks and feels like a sunburn. I took a bath and am wearing clothes that were washed in another house to make sure it's not a reaction to detergent. Still there. Surgeon's assistant and St. Jude rep said they've never seen a reaction like this. Anyone experience a rash?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Re: Rash after spinal cord stimulater

You say it looks like a sunburn? Do you have blisters? If so you very likely have shingles, which at some stages do sort of feel somewhat like a sunburn. If you do have blisters contact your primary care Dr or go to an urgent care center TODAY. You are still in the 72 hour timescale where antiviral meds may help prevent long term nerve damage and associated pain. Also if you never had chicken pox it can't be shingles and it probably something else like a soap. If you are sure it's not shingles you can try using a plain unscented soap like dial basic, or dove sensitive or a hypoallergenic baby wash, could be shampoo or conditioner too, baby shampoo is hypoallergenic. For laundry try "ALL" free and clear, avoid tide and cheer even their sensitive brands have a rep for causing hives. Keep in mind that it might take a couple of days for the effects to go away even after you eliminate the allergen. Try benadryl or zyrtec, or it it's really bad ask your dr for hydroxyzine. Knocks you out at first but really helps the itching.

Good luck,

Tigg.

Ps. Dryer sheets can cause this too so either leave them out or get the "free" ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

paintednails1 HB User
Re: Rash after spinal cord stimulater

thanks for your reply. no blisters. no fever so I guess it's not an infection. The rash is still here but has not darkened or spred. I found a report that said the implant batteries have been known to leak and I am worried this could be happening. I've alerted the neurosurgeon and will go see him if it hasn't gone away in a few days. But if anyone has had the same experience I would like to know.

Closed Thread