It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
(female)

Chunnie HB User
Vicodin ES to Norco 7.5

As a result of horrible leg/back pain..my pc gave me a choice.. take pain meds or referral to a back surgeon, after 3 weeks or horrid pain and blowing out the back of my recliner to find that comfortable spot and 10 mg of percocets, I finally gave in and got my laminectomy 3 yrs ago. After the surgery the feeling in my upper left leg never came back. I have been seeing a PM doctor, where he has put me on Vicodin ES 3X a day..back braces, epidurals...I have a good relationship with my PM doctor, he also conducted a nerve test on my leg and confirmed the damage. I have never had any problems with my meds, the vicodin es were always helping me. I take them as prescribed. He also has me on 10mg of Ambian. I do exsactly what he tells me to do. I've been on this regime for 2 years now. My recent appointment I did tell him that on occasion during the night there is break through pains, I also suggested to him that since it's been a while and since I have insurance now, could I get an MRI, he said it has been a little while...okay, lets get one with contrast. He always asks me, not me ask him...do you need your medications? I'm always honest with him, if I have some left, I tell him....I could not get an epidural for awhile since I lost my insurance, when I was getting them, they helped. He asked me if the epidurals helped, I said yes..as I waited in the exam room, he comes in and hands me my PX and it said Norco 7.5/325. I asked him what they were he said they are better for you however, not that I can take more they are dispensed the same as the Vicodin ES 3 per day as needed. I've been taking them now for over a week and for me they are not as effective as the Vicodin ES. I am scheduled for an MRI next week, I don't understand why he changed my PX..I've been miserable and now the pain is constantly there...some relief but not like the Vicodin ES.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Vicodin ES to Norco 7.5

The difference is the amount of acetaminophen (tylenol) in each pill:

the Vicodin ES has 7.5mg of hydrocodone and 750mg of acetaminophen

the Norco has 7.5mg of hydrocodone and 325mg of acetaminophen.

There are two ways you could jump - 1 is simply taking one tylenol tablet with each norco, which would increase the amount of acetaminophen to 825mg per dose, the second is to tell your doctor the Norco isnt as effective, and ask if you can change back to the Vicodin. I would go with the second choice.

One last option would be to take 1-2 Advil with your Norco, that would significantly boost the releif you get, while still keeping the acetaminophen dose nice and low - speak to your doctor!

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The following user gives a hug of support to jonnstar:
Chunnie (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

Chunnie HB User

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm debating as to either call him or wait till my appointment with him on 4/4 (I've been on the new Norco's now for a week)...I'm hoping to have my MRI done by then, I'm still waiting on an approval from my insurance company for the MRI, but either way..I still have the appointment on 4/4 with PM Doc. I was under the impression that because I mentioned break through pain he was giving me something stronger or to take between my Vicodin. He also gave me Robaxin 500 mg 1 twice a day and that isn't helping either. If the Vicodin ES were helping then why change it over without an increase in dosage of the Norco? My pharmacist assured me that the Norco and the Vicodin are the same except less tylenol today when I went to buy a heating pad, she told me they are cutting out the amounts of tylenol little by little for the change overs due to come. I will take the tylenol with the Norco's for now. Thank you...

Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

There is an extremely low chance of liver damage due to long term intake of tylenol, especialy if you take more than 4000mg per day.

There have been a few cases of people who were taking less than 4000mg per day for long periods suffering liver damage, so the FDA and doctors are scaling back doses, for increased safety, without considering the reduction in analgesia.

It would be best to speak to your doctor over the phone before adding the extra Tylenol on your own, just to be safe.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
Chunnie (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
(female)

Chunnie HB User

Thank you, thank you...again, I don't understand why he would take me from the Vicodin ES to Norco if my PX for the Vicodin ES was 3 X's a day was at 2250 mg of tylenol in the first place, well under the max...to the Norco 975...I thought the Norco's were to be used in between the Vicodin for break through pain, and he just substitute the Norco for the Vicodin..should I wait till my appt 4/4 or should I call him before? I have read that the Norco's are faster acting but don't last as long....I'm confused....all I do know is that they don't work as well and all I'm being told is that they are the same other than the tylenol...I don't want to do anything that would jeapordize my relationship with my PM doctor...

Old 03-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

BTW, the dose of robaxin he has given is way below normal - you are on 500mg twice a day, "standard" dose is 1500mg 4 times a day, so it isnt suprising it hasnt given you a great deal of releif, you're on less than a quater of the normal dose..... I'd say at this point that its just an expensive placebo.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
Chunnie (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
(female)

Chunnie HB User

Hell-o and thanks so much again for your reply...I called my PM doctor today and asked to be switched back to the Vicodin ES, they told me he does not switch any meds over the phone, so lucky for me there was an opening today at 3:00. He asked me (mind you I asked for the MRI) if I had it yet and assumed that is why I was back in to see him a week later. I told him No, his office just got my auth today for the MRI and now when I get home I have to schedule the appt. I was honest and direct with him, I told him I do not like the Norco's and that the management he had me on prior to him switching me was working fine and that since my insurance is back in place that maybe I should re-start my injections since they did help somewhat. He told me he doesn't understand why the Norco's arn't as effective as the Vicodin ES...I told him I take them as px, I asked him why he switched it over in the first place since I was on a good regime, he said less tylenol is better, he said it was just all in head, I said no...it's in my back...he leaves the room and said well, lets see what we can do...he comes back in the room with a blank scrip pen in hand and said I could write you the Vicodin ES right now, but I don't think your pharm will fill them with your insurance since you just got the Norco filled and they are the same thing. I still said I did not like the Norco's....his advice was to take a tylenol ES with my Norco's....don't get the refill and he will re-write my Vicodin on my next visit and once my MRI comes back. I said now I have to take 2 pills in place of the one and now my tylenol intake is more than just one Vicodin ES...I understand that they are monitored with the px they write, I do...my pharm even told me he can change your px or have you take more of the Norco....so I don't get it...now I'm taking 225 mg more of the tylenol than before...he did go on to tell me about the cut backs that are going on with the tylenol...so with pen in hand and a blank script he write me mobic 15 mg, yet another pill....I just don't get it....so, I have my MRI with contrast scheduled for next Tues..and I will do as he tells me...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well, you have a solution for the short term anyway.

Less Tylenol is better, if you want less pain releif..... less of any drug is always better.

Another way to boost the effect of Vicodin, Norco, Lortab etc, is to take 2 Advil with them, they work in different ways against pain, and the effects are addative. It can be a way of getting an extra boost on the days where you need it. Regular daily use if advil can occasionaly cause stomach irritation or ulcers, so its best used intermitently unless you are under medical supervision.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
(female)

Chunnie HB User

You have been so helpful and supportive to me and I truly do thank you so very much. Do you have an idea as to where he may be going with this? Are the mobic's like advil? I still don't understand where he is concerned with the tylenol intake and now I'm taking more of it. Could he have changed the script....still a little confused....but, I'm glad that I have the relationship with my PM doc to be able to be direct and he listens....

Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes, mobic and advil are same same but different........ if you take Mobic, dont take Advil.

The FDA have been making nervous noises about long term Tylenol use - they were talking about totaly removing all the Tylenol out of Vicodin, Norco etc.

Closed Thread