It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
(male)

Embeda HB User
Embeda Recall

I have been taking Embeda for about 1 year now. Found out last week that it had been recalled (all lots). My Dr. did give me a replacement. Same med but without the Naltrexone. Does anyone have any info on the recall and overall safety of the product?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Embeda Recall

King Pharmaceuticals Inc, a wholly owned subsidiary of Pfizer, has voluntarily recalled all dosages of a combination morphine sulfate and naltrexone hydrochloride (Embeda Extended Release Capsules CII) from wholesalers and retailers in the United States because "a prespecified stability requirement was not met during routine testing,"

Patients can continue taking the product as prescribed, the letter notes, and should not stop taking it without consulting their physician about switching to another opioid. They are advised to explore alternate forms of pain relief with their healthcare provider before coming to the end of their current supply.

Good luck

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

In other words, the drug might not be good until the use by date on the bottle - there isnt any danger to those who were taking it.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User

I got the notification about this, too, and got nervous because I take a similar drug that King Pharmaceuticals makes (Avinza). I'm guessing that this may be what your doc gave you as a replacement med. I've been using it for a little over two years and have had significant relief with it. The base pain med in Avinza is the same (extended-release morphine) as Embeda, so you should have similar results with it.

Good luck!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

My Doc and pharmacist said it will be back on the market something about the efficacy in working as long as it should as well as the beads melting in a timely manner.
I was changed to Opana ER that also has a card that will pay for the med since it is brand name only. I actually LIKE it better than the Embeda and i loved the embeda better than MS Contin.

Last edited by katlovesdogs; 03-22-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

FrazzledFairy HB User

I too have been switched to the Opana ER. However, I'm not finding any relief w/it and I know at 30mg, I should - well, I think. Is there any possibility that the med. is old or something? Anyone else found Opana ER to be ineffective? I'm confused. I've read great things about it.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

It iwll be released again. Something about the absorption in trials.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzledFairy View Post
I too have been switched to the Opana ER. However, I'm not finding any relief w/it and I know at 30mg, I should - well, I think. Is there any possibility that the med. is old or something? Anyone else found Opana ER to be ineffective? I'm confused. I've read great things about it.
Oxymorphone has a very low oral boiavailability, around 10% which is very low. This means when you take Oxymorphone orally you don't absorb much of the drug. Obviously some people probably absorb more, but it would still be pretty low for the average person. Don't get me wrong Oxymorphone is a very, very, very, potent drug when used intervenously in a hospital setting. But orally not so much, but for some people it works fine. There is a nasal spray in the works using oxymorphone for breakthrough pain, but I am not sure how much more absorption there will be, but it should be fast acting intranasaly.
Oxycodone on average is very well absorbed at around 80% absorption rate. That is one of the reasons why it works so well orally. Also one of the reasons people started abusing Oxycontin, starting out taking it orally because of the high absorption rate.
Methadone also has a very high absorption rate when taken orally.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i am prescribed opana too, 40mg, i went to the opana from oxycontin cuz the oxycontin made me feel nervous/anxious; i am not experiencing good relief either-and i am on the 40mg 2 x day;i am getting headaches everyday and i am pretty sure it is the opana er-i didnt say anything to my dr about cuz i wasnt sure i have given it chance yet-my next pm appt is next wk and i'll have been on it 2mos;my dr gave me opana IR 10mg about a week ago cuz i re-injured self pretty bad(fractured ankle and trauma to back n hips) and i get better relief from it than the opana er and the percocet 10mg i took for bt. -

Last edited by BB07; 03-25-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
(female)

Bristolpharm HB User
Smile Re: Embeda Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeaftr40 View Post
It iwll be released again. Something about the absorption in trials.
Actually this is not correct. The company voluntarily recalled Embeda because a pre-specified stability requirement was not met during routine testing. The naltrexone in the sequestered core was projected to have a degradant (break-down product) level higher than the specified 1% before the expiration date. While the degradant is not believed to pose a safety risk to patients, the decision was made to voluntarily recall the product.

Call the company if you have questions -they explained it to me.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

I had headaches for a while. 2 weeks into using and I am getting some pain relief but I am EATING everything in site. It is like it kills the feeling of being full and satisfied. i am going to weigh a ton if I keep this up

Closed Thread