It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
(male)

hippy765 HB User
what is and what does cotisone epidural shots do for pain ?

What if anything does cotisone epidural shot supposed to do for
Chronic back pain from degenerative discs and arthritis.
Like how long does it take to work , any side effects etc.
Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: what is and what does cotisone epidural shots do for pain ?

When you get one of these injections, the doctor sticks a needle very close to your spinal cord (in between your vertebrae) and injects a steroid medication. The steroid is supposed to reduce any inflammation or swelling that could be occurring in the vertebral joints or near your spinal cord. The theory is that swelling in that area could be causing your pain, or at least part of your pain. By reducing that swelling, your pain goes down. Some people will say it takes a couple of days to start working, and some people don't feel any relief until after the second or third injection. I have had three courses
(3 shots each) and they have only helped me a little, however my brother got tremendous relief from them in his lower back.

You have to get the shots in a procedure room under a special xray machine (called a floroscope-sp?) and it's very technical. It only takes about 15 minutes though. I got mine in the cervical spine, and they wouldn't let me drive myself home after the first few shots in case my arm fell asleep after the shot.

Are you getting them in the cervical or lumbar spine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
(male)

hippy765 HB User

I am getting lumbar , however I don't recall any x-ray
He seemed to swab my back twice and said I would feel
The needle jab , then pressure and burning . It wasn't in the lower lumbar where most of the pain is just a little up my back. They wouldn't let me leave for 15 min. Just in case my legs wouldn't hold me. They were shaky and are still feeling worn out tired and achy. Back hurts more now and I have a headache. Supposed to help , lol go figure.
I guess I will have to be patient and hope the next few days show improvement.
Thank you for the information.
Hipp.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

maybe wait until you get the second shot, too. Hopefully it will help you somewhat. We have to keep trying.

Closed Thread