It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
(male)

DD2338 HB User
Itching

I have done the slow progression of having to take narcotic pain relievers for almost 6 years now due to a back injury I sustained at work. Obviously, the first course of action was the Ibuprofen 200mg, Vicodin 5/500, rest, and PT. As the years went on and the procedures took place and my tolerance grew, my doses of the narcotic pain med has slowly increased and I have now been taking Norco 10/325 for about 3 years now. About a month ago, I noticed that I am always itchy and I cannot seem to put my finger on the problem. The meds are the same brand, strength, and dosage that I have taken for over a year (1.5 tabs 4X Daily). There has been no change in my diet or environment. My question is; can Norco 10/325 cause itching even after taking the same medication for over 3 years with no side effects? Can it just all of a sudden appear? If so, does anyone on this board have any advice? Please do not respond to this thread by telling me to take another medication such as Benadryl or another antihistamine. I hate taking meds as it is and I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I take narcotic pain meds seeing that I am only a 29 year old male. I feel that if I add another medication to the mix, it will just be masking the issue and not solving the problem. I know that sounds very hypocritical due to the fact that I take a pain med to mask a problem, but I have tried numerous things to stop the pain, with no avail. Finally, my doctor and I realized that this may just be my best and least expensive option for pain relief. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Itching

Hi has kidney function been tested? After that many years of drug use the kidneys need a check in my opinion.

After looking at the side effects I would want liver function testing because of that drug also.

Last edited by sjb; 03-22-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: addition made

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
DD2338 (03-22-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

That is a side effect of hydrocodone. Your body could easily be absorbing it differently at any given time.
I ahve been on narcs for years but Vicdin still made me itch even after taking stronger meds

The Following User Says Thank You to katlovesdogs For This Useful Post:
DD2338 (03-22-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
(male)

DD2338 HB User

I had a liver and kidney function test about a year ago and everything was normal.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I know you said dont suggest another pill, but, you could try taking a single dose of an antihistamine such as Zyrtec - if that stops the itching, it would suggest histamine release is the problem, if it doesnt, then you need to look elswhere.

It might come down to what you dislike most, the idea of taking a Zyrtec every day, or putting up with the itching.

Mention it to your doctor at your next apointment.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
DD2338 (03-22-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi the post says the itching began a month ago perhaps it is time for another test?

That drug is very toxic in my opinion.

Last edited by sjb; 03-23-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

sjb, Why do you feel Vicodin is "toxic"? And, which part of that medication is toxic? Since it's made of two different meds...janiee

Last edited by janiee08; 03-23-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi DD2338 Vicoden has a very long list of toxic side effects including liver and kidney toxicities and terrible side effects that can occur such as vomiting. These can be looked up on the net for oneself to see.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

sjb,Yes, Everyone of us can look things up on the internet; that's easy. However you said that YOU thought that Vicodin was toxic. So, I just wondered which ingredient in the Vicodin did you think was toxic? The acetaminophen, or the hydrocodone? You have to remember sjb that all meds have side effects, even foods do. Eating peanuts can be fatal to my son. But they are healthy for other people. Also, perhaps it's hard for you to understand how much pain we experience here, and we have it everyday. It's up to the individual to weigh the risks of side effects against the benefits. And yes, if you take tons of acetaminophen or hydrocodone, you will reach toxic levels...janiee

Last edited by janiee08; 03-23-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I agree, everything it toxic - excess water or oxygen will quite easily kill you. Its all about risk/benifit.

And as for Vicodin being "highly toxic", I think thats a bit of a stretch, millions of doses are taken every day, without anything bad happening to 99.9999% of users.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
(female)

hausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB Userhausofmouse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD2338 View Post
I have done the slow progression of having to take narcotic pain relievers for almost 6 years now due to a back injury I sustained at work. Obviously, the first course of action was the Ibuprofen 200mg, Vicodin 5/500, rest, and PT. As the years went on and the procedures took place and my tolerance grew, my doses of the narcotic pain med has slowly increased and I have now been taking Norco 10/325 for about 3 years now. About a month ago, I noticed that I am always itchy and I cannot seem to put my finger on the problem. The meds are the same brand, strength, and dosage that I have taken for over a year (1.5 tabs 4X Daily). There has been no change in my diet or environment. My question is; can Norco 10/325 cause itching even after taking the same medication for over 3 years with no side effects? Can it just all of a sudden appear? If so, does anyone on this board have any advice? Please do not respond to this thread by telling me to take another medication such as Benadryl or another antihistamine. I hate taking meds as it is and I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I take narcotic pain meds seeing that I am only a 29 year old male. I feel that if I add another medication to the mix, it will just be masking the issue and not solving the problem. I know that sounds very hypocritical due to the fact that I take a pain med to mask a problem, but I have tried numerous things to stop the pain, with no avail. Finally, my doctor and I realized that this may just be my best and least expensive option for pain relief. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi DD2338,
I have a similar problem with Dilaudid. Sometimes it makes me itch and sometimes it doesn't. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't be willing to try something like Benadryl to help with the itching. I realize it is no fun taking medications, but when it can very simply control a side effect like itching...well, I'd much rather take that little benadryl than deal with the constant annoying itching. Honestly, I think your most effective way to deal with the itching would be benadryl. but if you are absolutely against it, maybe try oatmeal baths. Aveeno makes a great oatmeal bath product that works pretty well. Best of Luck getting a handle on your itching!!

Closed Thread