It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

mburger823 HB User
Exclamation Please help!! Need feedback desperatley!

I am currently on Percocet (generic version- Oxycodone 10mg) 5x a day, Valium 10mg 2x a day, and was just recently put on Avinza 30mg 1xdaily.

I have severe Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. Facet Joint Dysfuntion, as well as a slipped L4 and L5. I have had all 3 pain block injections to BOTH areas, as well as the Rhizotomies (where they burn off ALL nerves to your Joint) done 2x on both areas to NO relief. The last 2 "procedures" were supposed to work, and has not. My Pain Care Management doctor has now ordered an MRI of my compete lower back w/ a follow up appointment next week.

I just recently got into a fight w/ my husband because he says " I act different, and never want to do anything" but what he doesn't understand, is I CAN'T do anything. I bowl, it hurts...I sit, it hurts...I stand, it hurts... But he thinks that I have become addicted to the medicine, and the only way I am happy is too take the medicine.
I take it as prescribed other than the percocet, which is what I also wanted to discuss. I find if I take the Percocet 2 of them 5x daily, they work and get rid of my pain, but they only last 2 hours. If I take 1 of them 5x daily, they barely work. Is there something stronger that I can take to where I don't have to take so many pills.

And also, how do I explain to the love of my life, that I am not an addict (which REALLY hurt when he said it, cause I NEVER asked for this pain ONLY have I asked for adequate pain relief.) I am dependent on them.

I have been reading up on all these posts. Which have been WONDERFUL btw. I just feel like I am losing my #1 supporter and still not getting adequate pain relief. What do I do?

Sincerely- MB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: Please help!! Need feedback desperatley!

Sorry to hear that your support network (hubby) is getting frustrated. Sounds like you are doing all of the right things, medically, to get on top of your condition. As you have probably been reading already, yes, there are many other levels of PM to consider that may improve your quality of life.

When a Doctor prescribes 3-4 short acting Percocet a day to a patient, their situation is usually one that will eventually resolve (Acute Condition). If your condition is Chronic and unlikely to be resolved in the near future then you will need to consider longer acting medications (OxyContin, MS-Contin, Exalgo, Opana, Fentanyl Patch etc...).

As you have found, the short acting meds become less and less effective. Soon, a Percocet will last less than an hour and you will need a handful of them a day just to function -and all of that pill handling and counting will make you a fiend!

When I first was introduced to pain medications the relief was great! So good in fact that many days I wanted nothing more than to be able to lounge around, and read and sleep. I don't think this is unusual or unhealthy for a period of time. It felt like more of a bodily need to recharge and reboot. My GF was not thrilled!

When you find the right combination of meds you will gradually become more active and willing to participate in life again.

Best to you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isotope For This Useful Post:
mburger823 (03-24-2011), mgm55 (03-28-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

yep-know what you mean. this will happen to you time and time again. you are gonna constantly be judged, and by the people you love and trust the most-they dont get it and you are gonna ware yourself down time and time again trying to get them to walk in your body for a day,all they know is:"she's taking all these pills everyday and that cant be good"!!!!!lol you just gotta laugh at it sometimes;your husband thinks you are having FUN? get him to read some of the threads on this board and let him read what CP"rs have to look forward to-and not having the support of all people your spouse is almost the straw bustin the camel's back-if i didnt take pain medication i could not function, i could not evan get out of bed; yes, i have terrible chronic pain from a bad accident and narcotic pain medication has given me my life back- i take a long acting one-opana 40(similar to your LA med avinza) and an immediate release one-opana IR 10 mg(similar but stronger than percocet).your LA med Avinza dose may need adjusting for better relief,discuss this with your doctor. you have enough to deal with believe me i know and your husband just doesnt realize what a selfish,hurtful thing he did. But everybody on this board does so come here to vent, you will feel better and you wont be judged!

Last edited by BB07; 03-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
mburger823 (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

I take a long acting med but take it TWO times a day.. not once. I uese to take the MS Contin 30 mg twice a day then went to Embeda ( taken off market ) and now am on the Opana 10 mg twice a day. I also take 7.5 mg Percocets up to 4 times a day IF NEEDED for break through pain. My conditions are a mirro image of yours btw. You need to tell your Doc you want to take LESS meds but with MORE relief. you may need to add a dose of the long acting meds. Most are two to 3 times a day anyway
If I have to take one and a half or two of my percs then I run out or have to do without which i DON"T want. You also run the risk of running out of your meds if you double up. We really shouldn't take two when we are prescribed one pill anyway but we all do occasionally.

The Following User Says Thank You to lifeaftr40 For This Useful Post:
mburger823 (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
(female)

mburger823 HB User
Unhappy Re: Please help!! Need feedback desperatley!

Thank you both so much for the pep talk! I haven't ever actually "participated" in one of these Forums, but I was checking to see if I could take certain medicines together and Google popped me onto this site (which I am glad, because I found out I cannot take the medicine in question due to Ulcers) And I just happened about to this website and started reading. There seems to be a great source of information for both the CP as well as their supporter. I think you are right w/ up-ing the dosage of my medicine, but which one? The LA, or SA? (Short Acting). I see my doctor on the 1st of April, to show him what I've found and to talk to him. I have never had a "Euphoric" feel that I have read on some people's threads or craved the medicine. I just can't even get out of bed w/out it. I have tried the all-natural/homeopathic way and seen no results. Trust me, if there was an adequate all natural drug that would touch this pain, I would take it in a millisecond. I never asked for this pain, I never thought when I was 8 years old at 29 I would be taking this amount of medicine a day in order to take 2 steps or even try to get out of bed in the morning. That's not who or what I wanted when I grew up AT ALL, I just wish he would see that.. and support me. I have enough going on, and hearing him say that, just deflated every last bit of confidence I had in myself. Just really sucks....

Old 03-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

mburger823 HB User

I couldn't agree more lifeaftr40. I can't afford to run out, or I won't move. Thankfully I see my doctor monthly, so I really don't, but I also don't want to have to take a double dose either. It's just NOT effective if I take one. Even w/ the Avinza. I see him April 1st, so hopefully this information I take to him will help he and I, figure out what the next step is. Thank you all so much for responding, it feels nice that there is other people out there like me who understands and supports me. Beings I just lost my biggest one

MB

Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I would suggest you ask your doc about changing from Percacet to a long acting narcotic, that you would take 1 pill twice a day of.

It will give you better pain coverage, and you wont always be watching the clock waiting until you can have your next pill.

Common names are Oxycontin (oxycodone) Opana (oxymorphone) MS Contin (morphine)

Addin Celebrex 200mg twice a day (an antiinflamatory painkiller) would boost the releif you get, and doesnt cause addiction.

Adding a tricyclic antidepressant at bedtime (say amitriptyline 50mg) can help control the pain, and also help ypu sleep better.

Best of luck!

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
(male)

backman01 HB Userbackman01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburger823 View Post
I am currently on Percocet (generic version- Oxycodone 10mg) 5x a day, Valium 10mg 2x a day, and was just recently put on Avinza 30mg 1xdaily.

I have severe Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. Facet Joint Dysfuntion, as well as a slipped L4 and L5. I have had all 3 pain block injections to BOTH areas, as well as the Rhizotomies (where they burn off ALL nerves to your Joint) done 2x on both areas to NO relief. The last 2 "procedures" were supposed to work, and has not. My Pain Care Management doctor has now ordered an MRI of my compete lower back w/ a follow up appointment next week.

I just recently got into a fight w/ my husband because he says " I act different, and never want to do anything" but what he doesn't understand, is I CAN'T do anything. I bowl, it hurts...I sit, it hurts...I stand, it hurts... But he thinks that I have become addicted to the medicine, and the only way I am happy is too take the medicine.
I take it as prescribed other than the percocet, which is what I also wanted to discuss. I find if I take the Percocet 2 of them 5x daily, they work and get rid of my pain, but they only last 2 hours. If I take 1 of them 5x daily, they barely work. Is there something stronger that I can take to where I don't have to take so many pills.

And also, how do I explain to the love of my life, that I am not an addict (which REALLY hurt when he said it, cause I NEVER asked for this pain ONLY have I asked for adequate pain relief.) I am dependent on them.

I have been reading up on all these posts. Which have been WONDERFUL btw. I just feel like I am losing my #1 supporter and still not getting adequate pain relief. What do I do?

Sincerely- MB
i have been on 3 percocets a day sinse 1993 failed l-5-4 fusion just put on fentanyl patch only 12mg but helps a little,those percs will ruin your liver try to cut back,Rick pa

Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

I agree with the others, increasing your long acting ( base pain medication) would be a good place to start and changing your short acting medication (breakthrough) pain medication or cutting the frequency of the dosing is in order.
Many patients new to pain management make the mistake of taking their BT pain medication too often, so when they really need the extra pain relief, the BT medication no longer works, and then wind up taking more of it than they are prescribed. All this does, is wind up with the patient constantly chasing their pain. If they steadily use the breakthrough medications, you increase your base medication level, so if you don't continue to take the BT meds along with your LA medications, then your pain levels will appear higher than they really are, because your body is in search of that extra level of medication that your short acting medications provide.
Does that make sense?
What you need to be really careful of , is doing that because you will be dismissed from pain management for not following the prescribers direction. If your base medications and breakthrough medications aren't covering your pain, and you've used ice, heat, over the counter rubs and pain relief options, try talking to your doctor- maybe a TENS unit might help, or rice in a sock, heated in the microwave, some physical therapy might also help, by strengthening the muscles surrounding the painful areas....there are lots of other ways of trying to manage the pain levels besides taking more of the medications than prescribed. You don't want to wind up blacklisted by your PM doctor or to have it in your records that you were dismissed from PM for not following the directions.
Good luck,
Back

Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

lifeafter,jstar- she is taking an LA-avinza-an avinza is an la that is once a day dosing but she is on the lowest dose 30mg,-she probably needs the dosage of the avinza increased-it is not typically prescribed more than once per day like opana,mscontin,etc

Last edited by BB07; 03-30-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

dovecottage HB Userdovecottage HB User

Sorry for your pain I have been there, my husban also thinks I take too much medicatiion. My PM doc put me on time reelase oxycontin 2xs per day one pill lasts 12 hours and I dont feel stoned at all, the reat addicts dont like this new pill because it doesnt crush and cant be abused in anyway. Look into it and good luck to you.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
(female)

Outtapain HB User

I would talk to your doc about switching you to something stronger. Tell him you would like to be able to take less pills and get the maximum relief possible.Let him know the ones you are taking now are not giving you enough relief they are just taking the edge off. Im not sure but maybe he can switch you to the stronger version of the one you are on already.

I know how it is when your loved ones think your just addicted but what they dont get is there is a difference between addicted and dependent. Dependency is so you can live a normal life and do things and right now the pills are helping you do that. Addicted is when you would just take them for fun which to me sounds like you dont do. Maybe if you explain it to him he would understand better. Best of luck!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
(male)

steve63 HB User

Sorry to hear what you are going thru MB. I'm also on Percocet and like you my spouse (wife) doesn't understand. She lost her brother to narcotic addiction so she's especially paranoid about seeing me take Percocet. One of my best friends started PM recently and came home with his first Percocet prescription. As soon as he left for work the next day his wife flushed the whole bottle of meds down the toilet! Thankfully my wife hasn't gone to that extreme but it all stems from the same paranoia about addiction. What people don't seem to get is that there is a big difference seeking meds for pain relief and seeking meds for the euphoric side effects. When you start taking meds on a chronic basis, the euphoric side effects subside quickly and eventually go away altogether. Anyone who has been on the same dose of any pain med for a long time is NOT getting any euphoria from them anymore. Those with addiction problems are trying to chase that euphoria, which is why they need to constantly seek dosage increases, doctor shop, etc. I try to explain this all to my wife but all she can think of is her brother who OD'ed on heroin after his PM doctor cut off his Percocet due to addictive behaviors. Anyway, I wish I could give you the magic answer here but there isn't one. Until someone has been in your shoes, they just don't understand.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
(male)

erfan HB User

First of all, let me tell you my situation. I have three levels of disc herniation, spinal stenosis, DDD, modic changes and more. Currently I am prescribed 100mg of MS CONTIN 3 times a day and 30mg of Roxicodone every 4-6 hours as needed.

Very few chronic pain patients get addkicted to pain meds. What does happen is that we become dependent on them meaning that if we abruptly stop taking them, we suffer withdrawal. Withdrawal does NOT mean addiction.

Addicts doctor shop, they don't follow directions and buy meds on the street. It doesn't sound like you do those things. Most importantly, addicts take pills to get high. Pain patients use them to function.

With pain meds, legit pain patients can get around, do their job and function. When addicts take the same meds, they get high and can't function.

Closed Thread