It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
(male)

marbelmo HB User
strange question

OK, I have a question that maybe someone with medical experience might be able to answer. It's also something I'm pondering asking my pain doctor but thought might seem odd. I have disc related neck/upper back pain that I'm certain is more nerve related than mucsculor/skeletal in nature.
I currently am on a regimine of mscontin with oxycodone for breakthrough.
Obviously the narcotic route has it's pitfalls (escalating tolerance/side effects, etc.) but is fairly successful. I get my best pain relief, however, from medications like neurontin and lyrica. No matter how long I've tried to get used to these medications, I simply get too spacey and have no attention span while taking them. In other words I'm worthless on them at work. At night before bed, a dose is a godsend though.
Would anyone advocate that perhaps I ask to take these meds in place of the morphine/oxy, but adjunct them with some sort of low dose add med during the day? My question really boils down to what is better for my over all health in the long run?
Any input would be appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Re: strange question

I'm wondering how long you've been on the neurontin? The reason I ask is because I was on it for a couple years and until I was on a certain dosage for a couple weeks or more, I felt wierd too. After that though, I was fine. It's hard to describe the feeling, although I'm not too sure I was ever so out of it I couldn't work but nonetheless, I was a little off. At that time, I was tapering off the narcotics and finally neurontin was all I was on except an occasional advil. I've since had more trouble and a motor vehicle accident. I'm now back on narcotics but very stable at this time. I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question directly but the best I can really do it let you know how the drug affected me. Best of Luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I think that is one of hte sideeffects that you get when you take medicines that are used for nerve pain. Although I have to say that i have had much less problems with Neurontin than lyrica and Topomax. I did find that it took me sever weeks of adjustment with them and finally found that a dose in the evening and one VERY early is what works best for me.

If you can take just neurontin during the day is something that only you will know. Most nerve pain is part and parcel of an overall pain complex. I think it is a rare soul who has just nerve pain that isn't accompanied by some additional pain that causes the nerve pain.

I don't know if your neurontin is at a dosage that is high enough to control your pain or not... but it certainly is worth a try if you think it will work to take just it.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
(male)

marbelmo HB User

Thanks you guys. I've taken Neurontin and Lyrica for years. I just can't take either during the day. I'd like to but I simply just get too spaced out and can't concentrate at all. I mean I'll just totally forget what I'm working on. It's really that bad. A dose before bed makes all the difference in a pain free night though, and on the days when I've taken nothing but these medications, I feel much, much better pain wise (hey work better for my pain than the mscontin or oxy.) I know it builds up, you get used to side effects over time and all that, but for me they just aren't viable during the day. However, If I were to off shoot the spaceyness with maybe a low dose adderal or other ADD med (I don't know much about them) might it help?
If so, I could be narcotic free maybe. Or are ADD meds worse for one's health than the narcotics I'm already taking during the day?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

if you say they work better at nite-then arrange your dose schedule that way-discuss this with your doctor.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I think you may be exchanging one problem for another. I'm not extremely familiar with ADD meds, but my understanding is that they carry their own set of problems with addiction.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User

Are you taking both Lyrica and Neurontin? If you are, I would imagine that could be why you feel so spacey! Truthfully, I have never heard of a patient that takes both these meds; one or the other is usual. Which of your doctors is prescribing these?

Either one of them is capable of making it difficult to think, especially in the beginning until you build tolerance to them; with some people that never happens. Together, it is a wonder you can even stand up straight!

Maybe I mis-read your post, and if so, I'm sorry. Either way, I can't recall anyone who is taking one of these meds and not needing any kind of pain meds but there is nothing lost by trying, if you wish to.

Carol
Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
(male)

marbelmo HB User

Thanks again everyone.
No, I'm not taking these together. They both work the same as far as I'm concerned but currently I'm using Lyrica. Praise samples because this stuff is expensive.
The more I look in attention deficit meds the more I'm going to stay away from them.
Oh well. I'm just frustrated all. I'm very sorry to vent but I really don't know what to do anymore. I've been on ms contin and oxycodone for nearly three years. I'm taking 60mg BID of the morphine and Oxycodone 10mg TID as necessary, with lyrica at bedtime. The medications just don't cut it anymore. My pain is caused by bulging and torn discs at multiple cervical and 2 thorasic levels evidently, with a dash of myofascial pain syndrome for good measure.
I have done it all, trust me. PT, injections, even a discogram. I have an Empi traction device hat halps somewhat. I do all my PT on my own right now because I've basically learned it and don't have the money to keep going.
ESI's help a lot for about a month, so I can't keep doing that, plus the cost!!!
I know a lot of you have it much worse so I'll stop. I did ask to try subutex for a few weeks and did not have a very good experience with that.
What about methadone? I hear it's good for nerve pain and fairly cheap.
My doctor said he'd be willing to try it if I got an EKG first, but the NP I see in his office is sooooo against it.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I have a good friend that swears by methadone, but her doctor allows her to take her SA med with it. I went on it for a few months myself. Although it helped it would not touch certain pain like in my chest & shoulder, which a surgeon DXed as myofascial damage. Now my friend has the same & did say she would probably struggle more without her SA meds. I think had my PM allowed it I would have done better on Methadone.

Many doctor do not like this drug & will not prescribe it. Its really up to your doctor as he is over the NP. It does take time to build up in your system though so you may have to live with higher pain levels while they slowly get your dose to where in needs to be.

If I remember right this med is slowly increased. Some people complain of the drowsiness also. I did not suffer as much as some others in that way.

Not sure how well that would work with Lyrica but your PM or pharmacist would be able to help you there.

In fact I use my pharmacist a lot when it comes to meds. I have come right out & ask what they feel would work best based on my history. I got some of the best relief by doing that but we changed insurance & my relief went right out the window.

I know its hard to look for the right combination & wish you the very best of luck. God bless, Sammy.

Closed Thread