It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
(female)

angelomercy HB User
Unhappy switched from methadone to fentynal patch having problems

Hello, I was injured at work Dec. 04 and have been taking methadone since then which my pm doc and workers comp group liked. I was only taking 20mgs 2X daily which brought my pain down a bit but not enough to allow much QOL. After repeated complaints and nearly 4 yrs my hubby got good and angry then PM doc finally upped it to 30mg 2X daily not all at once of course. That was about 1.5yrs ago problem was that didn't do a heck of a lot either and caused nearly untreatable constipation. Two weeks ago after my hubby again complaining and a consult with my PCP he switched me over to the fentynal patch 75's. Since then my restless leg syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder has greatly increased and I can't seem to control my body temp. First I am cold and shivering and then I get hot flashes that turn my face beet red and makes my back feel on fire. I had a total hysterectomy 8yrs ago and have long since been done with the hot flashes. The pain seems to be well controlled and constipation gone but I am really bothered and unable to sleep much with the jitters and temp changes. Any idea's what might be going on?

Old 04-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
Re: switched from methadone to fentynal patch having problems

It can be a difficult medication to get used to but if you can persevere things may improve after a bit. It took me quite a while to adjust but once it settled down I have had good pain relief now for a couple years. Some people decide not to continue with the patch as it does effect people differently and it is quite a strong medication. I hope you are able to adjust. You may still need to watch your diet and water intake. I find the patch much easier than taking tablets. Also there are things you can use in combination with the patch. There are lots of threads about the patches so try reading a few. Just do a search. Some of my older threads include lots of my experiences. Welcome to the boards, I hope you find some support here.
Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread