It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

Amanda06 HB User
Tramadol After Vicodin 500 mg.

Hi:
I was on Vicodin (only half a pill a day) for the past 3 weeks or so for two different pains, one for around the neck to shoulder blade area and other for Lumber area, both are related 'arthritis' in the spine as you may know.

Even on the tiny dosage of Vicodin, I gained much relief not feeling any pains at all, however 'lightheadedness and dizziness' surfaced as day went by. It must be 'side-effect' from Vicodin.

Yesterday, I went to the dr. and he rx'ed 'Tramadol, 325-37.5.' I picked it up from the pharmacy this morning, but it's still sitting on kitchen table.

Both, Vicodin and Tramadol is said to be 'narcotic drug' and the G.P. only rx'ed one-month's supply.

BTW) ... is APAP & Tramadol 325-37.5 is 325 mg.? When I looked at the Internet site, I only see 200 mg. or so dosage.

If any of you know about this med.,Tramadol, I'd appreciate it if you'd share the experience and anything about this med., Tramadol.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
(female)

RockSteady5803 HB User
Re: Tramadol After Vicodin 500 mg.

What you have is Ultracet. Tramadol without the acetaminophen is regular Ultram. It's similar to a narcotic, but it's not classified as a narcotic. Be careful with it though, as it has been known to cause seizures if you take more than what is prescribed. If you take Zoloft, it can also cause seizures (I had that in college, having grand mal seizures in my dorm...I only found out about this interaction because of that!). I hope it helps for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The med you have is tramadol 37.5mg/acetaminophen 325mg

It is roughly comparable to Vicodin 5/500 in strength, one tab being somewhat milder, 2 tabs being a bit stronger. What dose did your doctor prescribe (normal dose would be 2 tabs 4 times a day)

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
The med you have is tramadol 37.5mg/acetaminophen 325mg

It is roughly comparable to Vicodin 5/500 in strength, one tab being somewhat milder, 2 tabs being a bit stronger. What dose did your doctor prescribe (normal dose would be 2 tabs 4 times a day)
Thanks for the responses, both. I reallly appreciate for taking the time to respond to my query.

The G.P. rx'ed, ... one tab. twice daily for 7 days then as necessary. On that day, the GP took several different tests for my heart and blood, but all came out 'clean.'

Since I'm now pain-free and also a terrible experience from the Vicodin, .... I'm truly afraid to take this med. until I'd start to feel pain, for that I really pray not to.

History to this is,
Late December last year, my Neurologist initially dx'ed with Pinched-nerve in the upper-spine and gave me five packs of sample, but it didn't do anything for my pain. During that time, I even lost a desire to drive due to pain radiating from shoulder blade to all way down to the left arm. It was very debilitating pain, as you all might know about.

Beside Vicodin(a tiny dosage, .... only half the pill a day), I've also been on High Blood Pressure med., 'Lisinopril 20/25 that the same GP rx'ed about two and a half years ago and works well without any side-effects. With two meds., however Vicodin and Lisinopril might have interacted? When I visited two days ago, the same GP didn't tell me as to interaction between two meds.

Any other suggestions and advices on this would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

One twice a day is an extremely small dose, you'd likely get more releif from plain Extra Strength Tylenol or Advil, but see how you go, if the releif isnt adequate, then call your doctor.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
One twice a day is an extremely small dose, you'd likely get more releif from plain Extra Strength Tylenol or Advil, but see how you go, if the releif isnt adequate, then call your doctor.
Thanks for all the informations.

Prior to Pinched Nerve that surfaced suddenly around late November, I had cronical nerve pains in the upper left leg and muscle-spasm mostly in the right leg. For those nerve pains, my neurologist took nerve test along with jagular-vein/neck test(I forgot a name for this test, ....) and both came out clean. For about three and a half years, I took Gabapetin 100 mg. for nerve pain and Methocarbamol 500 mg. for muscle spasm. Thanks to two meds., I was almost pain-free.

For Pinched Nerve that is a very debilitating pain and I asked my neuro. for the med., but he refused to rx saying after a test for the nerve connecting to the upper part of my spine. I really disappointed him not giving an rx and went to the Chiropractor afterwards. The chiro. did a wonderful job on this, but I still felt nagging pains, both in both legs and pinched-nerve.

On my first visit, I mentioned my pain-history to my GP and he rx'ed Vicodin. It was a life-saver for the first week or so without any side-effects and seemed all pains were gone, but I started 'light-headedness' and 'nausea,' but not all day long. Wonder because I kept taking Vicodin even after I was about 90% pain-free with a very minimum dosage, only 1/2 Vicodin pill?

Also, in reading your response, ... since I never exposed to any powerful med, like Vicodin, I started wondering whether an over-the-counter med. is enough for me? ...., but then seeing Vicodin was so good to all the pains I have, should I take it 'as needed basis?'

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
(female)

vixien66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda06 View Post
Hi:
I was on Vicodin (only half a pill a day) for the past 3 weeks or so for two different pains, one for around the neck to shoulder blade area and other for Lumber area, both are related 'arthritis' in the spine as you may know.

Even on the tiny dosage of Vicodin, I gained much relief not feeling any pains at all, however 'lightheadedness and dizziness' surfaced as day went by. It must be 'side-effect' from Vicodin.

Yesterday, I went to the dr. and he rx'ed 'Tramadol, 325-37.5.' I picked it up from the pharmacy this morning, but it's still sitting on kitchen table.

Both, Vicodin and Tramadol is said to be 'narcotic drug' and the G.P. only rx'ed one-month's supply.

BTW) ... is APAP & Tramadol 325-37.5 is 325 mg.? When I looked at the Internet site, I only see 200 mg. or so dosage. any of you know about this med.,Tramadol, I'd appreciate it if you'd share the experience and anything about this med., Tramadol.

Thanks,
I know a great deal about this medication what would you like to know? The one that he prescribed for you is ultracet. It is not as strong as the tramadol I take mine is 50 mg without ap. They work for me but seem to be hard to get a doctor to prescribe around here. And for future reference Ultram aka tramadol is not a narcotic it is a synthetic. I have been on and off it for 18 years. If you want to know anything else just yell.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Have you had an MRI and consultation with an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon and/or Neurosurgeon to evaluate surgical and non-surgical options? And perhaps a Pain Management doc?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixien66 View Post
I know a great deal about this medication what would you like to know? The one that he prescribed for you is ultracet. It is not as strong as the tramadol I take mine is 50 mg without ap. They work for me but seem to be hard to get a doctor to prescribe around here. And for future reference Ultram aka tramadol is not a narcotic it is a synthetic. I have been on and off it for 18 years. If you want to know anything else just yell.
Thanks for the responses, all.
For many years on this med., tramadol it sounds you know everything about.

One thing I concern about is 'side-effect' taking tramadol. I know everyone reacts differently, ... but just in general.

Also, another thing is I can not eat any foods that contains 'cheese?' Before or while on tramadol, I ate half a block of cracker barrel and a hour later I got really sick, ... really nausea and light-headedness. Not only this amount of cheese, even a tiny amount of cheese, ... consuming a cheese-filled breakfast bun sold in the Grocery store, I get sick.

My pain in the lumber-area seems not as bad as my GP thought, but whenever I work outdoor, my lumber in the spine/waist-line hurt. He said it's arthritis in the spine that can not be cured but manageable with med., tramadol.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

If tramadol/acetaminophen works, then take it!

Whatever works for the individual is good!

Keep in mind that if you ever take your Ultracet and it doesnt fuly cover your pain, you can take 2 Advil (ibuprofen) at the same time quite safely.

Last edited by jonnstar; 04-12-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

If you are concerned about 'Narcotics' etc.... You may also benefit from Nucynta

Iso

Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
(female)

Outtapain HB User

Tramadol is a anti-inflammatory it is used for pain but not like vicodin. There is mixed feelings about tramadol because some people say its great and it helps but some say it doesnt do anything for them. Tramadol is not a narcotic pain killer like vicodin. Also be careful taking it because a lot of people do have reactions to it. Me personally can not take it because im allergic to it and it caused stomach bleeding. First signs of your stomach hurting or feeling weird stop taking it and call your doc immediatly.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
(female)

vixien66 HB User

I have been on tramadol on and off for ten yrs. It is not a narcotic it is a synthetic. Man made. Origanally thought to not be addictive but then found it was highly. You go through kicking the habit literally. Chest burns arms and legs ache vomiting sweats restless legs rapid heartbeat all the same ones as heroin but then again it is synthetic herion what you are taking is a very small amount it is usually 50mg the ones you have are ultracet they did'nt do anything for me but the tramadol does. I was the first person to be addicted to it in the us even the drug company that makes it did'nt know what to do about it to help me through it nor the drs at the u of iowa. Suppose to be the best yah right. So it will help but it has the side effects that I had to be truthful about. But yuou do have to take it for along long period of time to become physically dependant. Hope this helps if not let me know I can answer any question about this drug.

Closed Thread