It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Unhappy Chronic Nerve Irritation in Foot

I had mortons neuroma foot surgery 3 years ago and since then I have been suffering with a terrible nerve irritation in the ball of my foot. I believe it is nerve damage or a nerve entrapment. I have been to several pods in the last 3 years including the one who did the surgery and no one seems to be able to help me. I have also tried accupuncture, tens, custom orthotics, you name it I have tried it.

Right now I am trying wsn nerve support formula ( which is really a very good b-complex vitamin with hopes that it may help me , but so far I notice no improvement. What do they do for people at a pain clinic? Do they always put you on a drug? I am not crazy about "going on drugs" as they sometimes cause worse problems with the side effects that go along with them.

All I know is that my quality of life has diminished with every step I take. I can't imagine going the rest of my life feeling miserable. My advise to anyone is to avoid surgery at all cost if you possibly can. I would never have had surgery if I knew what the outcome would be for me.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: Chronic Nerve Irritation in Foot

I had a 7 year problem with neuromas and also had the surgery. At first I didn't know why they hurt and just powered through it but eventually it got too bad. I was seeing an ortho for my knee and just brought up my foot pain and it went from there. If they do not cut the nerve back far enough then you can get another neuroma on the nerve. So that could be an issue. I have only had the surgery once, I had 2 on each foot. I have talked to some people who have had numerous operations as the neuromas grow back. I do not think that is the way to go as you will build up scar tissue. I have had years of no problems but now I notice when I work out that they bother me again. No where near what they used to be so I am not planning anything.

Do you think you could have another neuroma on the end of the nerve?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
(male)

MFrakes HB User

I've seen you in the past on another forum somewhere. I have the same problem after two surgeries..........I am on some pretty heavy pain medication simply because there is no answer. It helps get through the day and although there are a host if issues with opiate medication, I just don't feel like there are any alternatives. Like you, I have tried everything..........I am sorry for what has happened to us both and like you I would counsel anyone considering MN surgery to do anything but surgery. It has nearly ruined my quality of life. Good luck Dancin'............

Old 04-07-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Boxerluver:

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear you are doing better. I have been checked for a possible stump neuroma but have been told I do not have one. If I did I would be in alot of pain when the pod manuevered my foot. What I have is not actually pain, it's more like a bunch of jumbled up nerves on the ball of my foot going into my toes. I think the pods think I'm crazy when I describe the feeling to them.How do describe a nerve problem? I have even seen a neurologist in the past and was told I do not have neuropathy.

MFranks:

Is what you are experiencing a nerve annoyance with every step you take? Did it start right after your surgery? The bad feeling I had in my foot before surgery 3 years ago just continued and even intensified since surgery. I have tried padding, custom orthotics, accupuncture and everything else you can think of and nothing helps My pod gave me a prescription for Voltaren Gel that I rub on the area 4 times a day, but so far I don't think it is helping. So the search and the misery continues while the pods fill their pocketbooks. Did you go to a pain clinic and what did they put you on. I am reluctent to go on a drug due to the hideous side effects. Keep in touch and I wish US the best! Who would think a nerve problem in your foot could effect your life in such a terrible way.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
(male)

MFrakes HB User

Dancin',
The POD that did my first surgery wanted to operate again but thought my issue had to do with a separation of some ligament between my big toe and second toe. I just knew that the pain inthe BALL of my foot couldn't be connected and told him I wanted to get a second opinion. To his credit he recommended an orthopedic surgeon in Baltimore who had operated on his torn achilles a few years ago. Turns out that Dr. Lew Schon is one of the foremost ortho foot surgeons in the country. (Google him). With my MRI in hand, he knew immediatley that the real issue was a stump. He buried the nerve ending in muscle tissue to protect it as it grew back over time. That being said, there is no guarantee with any of this stuff. I am worse off today, not because of what has been done surgically............it's just the issue with nerves and surgery. Saw him last monthand we agree that any other surgery will only open up other cans of worms and to wait another year. Baltimore is the center for foot study and research and his practice at Union Memorial Hospital is among the finest if not the finest in the country. See him if you can> forget the podiatrists........they have their own philosophies about the foot.

In the mean time, I am at a pain clinic in northern Virginia where they are very understanding. I am on alot of meds but I function fine and my pain is at least mitigated to the point that I can function. My life has been changed by all of this and I wish I had never had any surgery at all..................

Old 04-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Hi dancinboots, I ve talked to you a couple times in your other posts, You could try the nerve blocks pain management does those, Just let them know you need pain relief but would like to consider non opiate options. theres also the spinal cord stimulator, mine works pretty good for the nerve pain from my RSD ( MN surgery caused my RSD)
I think it would also help with the nerve pain from MN.
hope this helps some.
kelly

Old 04-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyevans40 View Post
Hi dancinboots, I ve talked to you a couple times in your other posts, You could try the nerve blocks pain management does those, Just let them know you need pain relief but would like to consider non opiate options. theres also the spinal cord stimulator, mine works pretty good for the nerve pain from my RSD ( MN surgery caused my RSD)
I think it would also help with the nerve pain from MN.
hope this helps some.
kelly

Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hi Kelly

What were you experiencing when you were diagnosed with rsd? How was your foot after the neuroma surgery? What I am experiencing is not exactly what I would call "pain" that hurts. More like some numbness in toes and ball of foot and a continual chronic nerve irritation in ball of foot. Nothing seems to be able to take the terrible feeling away and I have tried everything you could ever think of. Anything you have ever read about that might help, I have tried with zero results. Just wondering how long after your surgery did you start having problems. Was your problem more of a hurting pain rather than a nerve irritation. So hard to describe what you are feeling to anyone. No one seems to be able to help.

Thanks.. Sharon

Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Hi dancinboots, the pain after my surgery instead of getting better just got worse and worse and worse it never felt better, I wish I still had my neuroma! I have all kinds of different pains burning, stabbing, ripping, sometimes it feels like little ants are crawling on my foot, my foot would turn deep reddish purple, and you couldnt touch it NO! a brush of a finger felt like a hot poker slicing me open. All of these pains are nerve pains, I also get deep bone pain because RSD affects your bones as time passes. My stimulator only helps with the nerve pain it does nothing for the deep bone pain. I hope this helps, I would ask about sympathetic nerve blocks and maybe check into the spinal cord stimulator, with the stimulator instead of feeling pain you feel like a vibrating massage feeling, they do a trial first to see if it works for you and if you can deal with the sensation for me it feels good but some people cant tolerate the vibrating feeling.
hope this helps some good luck
kelly

Old 04-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
(male)

Superdacker HB User

Me neither. I've had two back surgeries which have resulted in chronic neuropathy in my feet. I have yet to find anything outside of all the meds (gabapentin creams, anti depressants, anti-anxieties, etc. etc.) and painkillers. One of my symptoms is a similar sensation in the balls of my feets, as if someone had stuffed them with toxic marshmellows that are excrutiating. So, see a pain doc, tell him about your concerns with drugs. A good pain doc will tell you the drugs are only temporary, and that the goal is to "rewire" your brain so the sensation in your feet doesn't register, and particularly not as pain. Ask them about neuroplasticity and methodologies for re-training your brain. A good pain doc will be all over that stuff, rather than just dispensing painkillers.

Super D

Closed Thread