It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
Opinons Please

My bloodwork for my Lupus just was not great today. My sed rate alone, which should not be over 30 is at 103.

I have been taking the Opana ER 20mg, one am, one pm. And I have 7.5 percocet for breakthrough pain. My pain is just out of control. My nurse, after our conversation is asking my doctor is I can go with the regular Opana 5 mg, 1 every 4 hours for breakthrough pain thinking this will last longer in my system. Also, I am going to set the alarm clock to take one of these so that my morning is not so DREADFUL. Right now when I wake, every morning I am brought to tears. Never have I hurt so bad.

It just occurred to me...Can I just switch from the percocet to the regular opana for breakthrough pain without any problems? withdrawals? I would hope I would be okay.

If anyone can answer this for me I would greatly appreciate it. And yes, we are keeping the 20mg ER am and pm as well.

Thanks so much..
Madison104

The following user gives a hug of support to Madison104:
silentwarrior (04-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
(female)

RockSteady5803 HB User
Re: Opinons Please

Personally, I don't think you will have any problem with the switch. You definitely should not have any issues such as withdrawal, since you are still on a narcotic. Also, since you have been on Opana to begin with in the ER form, and you have been okay with that reaction-wise, you shouldn't really experience any side effects with the IR version. Make sure to ask your doctor though. I hope it helps you more!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Rock...I am hoping for a better result. I need something, that is for sure.
I usually have such a great attitude about things, but lately, I just feel kinda hopeless and defeated. Maybe this will help and I will feel like a new person, or at least some improved version, right
Thanks again..
Madison

Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
(female)

silentwarrior HB User

Hi. I too have SLE plus MS. I don't have any answers hon just lots of support and hugs.

Peace.

SW

Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
(female)

RockSteady5803 HB User

I definitely know what you are feeling! My pain has gotten worse over the past few weeks, and I have been having a lot of breakthrough pain despite taking the Percocet I have been on. I feel like if something isn't working that well for you, it's time to find a better solution! See how the Opana goes for you, and if it's still not helping, definitely let your doctor know. If you don't let him/her know, they can't try to help! I hope you feel better :-)

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Oh ((((Silent))) hugs back to you. We surely do suffer....and I know how it just gets to be too much.
Thanks again Rock...my nurse will call later, and hopefully we can find something that works better until I begin feeling better. There has to be some kind of an answer besides the suffering right?
Blessings to all.... from my heart.
Madison

Old 04-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Yes, you could change from percacet to IR oxymorphone without an issue.

For your lupus, have you tried

chloroquine

predinsolone or another corticosteroid

cyclosporin or other immune suppresants?

are you taking an NSAID such as Celebrex, Naprosyn or Mobic?

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 04-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hi Jon, thanks for replying.
I have bad stomach ulcers so I cannot tolerate any NSAIDS. IS celebrex an nsaid?
It seems that I tried that some time ago and I had problems with it.
As far as prendisone, it helped a LOT, years ago, but now it makes me feel like I have drank a thousand cups of caffine

Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I have my MS Contin and Neurontin by the bedside (along with my thyroid medication). When I get up during the night, which I usually do, I make sure to take them anywhere from 3-5 am.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Spine. I am very down today. I woke at about 5:30, after taking an extra opana because I simply could not STAND the pain last night, and my morning was just as shi**y because I need something in the middle of the night. Where I don't wake to use the bathroom or anything, I will need to set a clock.
I hope I am making the right decision to go with the regular opana for this horrific all day all night pain. When I stepped on the floor upon waking, my feet (bones) were just killing me. I am waiting for my appt. for my bone scan. There really is not anything that does not hurt right now. I feel disgusted!

I always have this upbeat attitude. I just moved to a GREAT apartment (had tons of help) so I was just feeling SO happy. I lived here 10 years ago, left then to care for my mom and I feel like I traveled this journey of sorts and I finally got back to the place that I loved so, when I left. I don't regret ONE moment, because my dear, dear mom, needed me.

Anyway..I checked yesterday to get the price/grants for funding so that I can get a homemaker in here for 2 hours 2x a month. She could get my laundry done for me and my grocery shopping all of which is just too difficult for me to handle right now. I live on the second floor and although the stairs on a good day are a cinch, right now they look to me like a MOUNTAIN! especially if I had to carry anything. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I hope I snap out of this mood. I have always lived with chronic pain...and actually I have not one clue what pain-free feels like anymore. But this is different. This is not human! And I am afraid almost to complain in fear of "it could be worse" type of thing.

Sorry to ramble. I am just disgusted as I said. Even my skin hurts. Lupus patients know what that feels like....a sunburn that you don't have

I really appreciate all of the help. Again, I hope the regular opana to go with my opana ER is a good thing. The thing is I don't want to feel "drugged." I like to have a really awake mind.if that makes any sense.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
(female)

3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User

the Opana (ER/IR) combo meets with mixed reviews; some can and others can't. I was one of the ones that couldn't. In me the O combo caused great angst, and one of the reasons, as you mentioned, is that pain control was good as long as exactly timed doses; a few hours off and it was like falling off a cliff. FTP has been a better option for me. You shouldn't have difficulty in changing a btm; be sure however to discuss all changes with your doctor - as mentioned

Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Thanks 3red..
I did see my doctor yesterday. He called me in to discuss my bloodwork results and my pain. He feels that I need steriods, which I cannot start until my bone scan and bone density test this coming Monday, BUT he feels strongly that I should stay with the percocet for breakthrough pain, as in his thoughts it works better. I have never raised my opana ER mgs....and I hope not to have to. SO I pray this pain can get controlled.
I trust this man with my life, so I will listen to him. He again, thinks the combo that I have is good.

NOW my worry is this....obviously the inflammation that I am experiencing is not good. My sed rate was 103 and anything greater than 30 is high. SO I will be on a low dose steroid treatment for a while...The thing is I have stomach ulcers. So here is the catch...can I take this prendisone safely? I know the risks, we discussed them, but I need them, so that is the problem. Plus they make me crazy anxious like I drank a thousand cups of caffine.

Anyone here have this experience? Any advice or should I stick this particular question on another forum here? Now..maybe my body has changed because I have not tried steriods for years...I am hoping I get lucky because we need something to calm the inflammation!

I have my prescription for my Vit. D deficiency, and took my first pill last night. I will take one a week for a month, and I "may" have to stay on it, depending on how things go. I did feel a WEE bit better this morning.

I appreciate your help everyone!!
Madison

Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Mad-

For many people (myself included), Prednisone seems to set off all sorts of psychic disturbances. For some it manifests as anxiety, others panic or depression.

Generally speaking theses effects are most prominent when starting or tapering. Steady dose periods of time are best.

Iso

Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Hi Isotope...I don't know what to do! I have a few days until my bone scan, but then I have to start it...I think. I wish I would suddenly feel better so that I could just forget it somehow!

I keep falling asleep in my chair. What a strange fatigue I have tonight. Maybe tomorrow will be better right? May I ask Iso if you would be worried about the prendisone if you were dealing with stomach ulcers?
Thanks so much!
Madison

Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

hi madison- i too am prescribed opana 40mg 2 a day-at first i thought they were wonderful-but i want so much for my pain med to work i think i sometime jump the gun with enthusiasum -the truth is they are not helping my terrible pain at all and i dont want to get them refilled which i will discuss w my pm on my appt-my ins keeps trying to push morphine sulphate at me and i have yaken it before the generic and i had poor pain help-my ins pays for a brand name of morphine sulphate and maybe it will work better for the intenses pain. anoother thing, my ins does pay for the opana er-but not the opana ir-they pd for my rx for it though and then sent me a letter telling me it is not on formulary and to talk to my dr about changing to morphine sulphate. but i gotta tell you the brand name opana IR 10 is the best medicine i have ever taken for my pain-i mean i was so grateful for the RELIEF it gave me-but the er opana-no relief-i would be in so much pain after taking opanaer dose, 1,then 2,then3 hrs no relief-then i would take 1 opana 10mg-and in about 30 min i was quite comfortable i could not believe it! this time when they fille the rx for opana ir they gave me generic oxymorphone and it is a far cry from the brand name opana ir-did not help at all!! just my experience w/opana-good luck to you. the brand name of the morphine sulphate my ins covers is callled Kadian an so far have heard nothing neg about it

Last edited by BB07; 04-13-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Closed Thread