It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

WooWoo101 HB User
Question re: early refill

When refilling a 30 day prescription, if you go in on day 27 and your insurance covers it and the Pharmacist has no problem filling it, is this considered an early refill? This is opposed to calling the Doc. office up and saying "may I have an early refill?".
Thank you for responses and hope all are pain free today!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User
Re: Question re: early refill

Insurance will pay within 3 days of the 30 days for the most part. If the pharmacist doesn't have any problem with it then all is well. However, my PM doc does keep track of when I fill my meds ( I have NEVER asked for early fill ) and when I have filled mine on day 27 28 or 29 he knew but didn't give me a hard time. Once he did say he was dating my script a couple days out as I should have a few pills left from filling a couple days early. That was not a big deal either for me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

Actually my insurance is set at 3/4 of the Rx time or on a 30-day script, you'd be able to refill it on day 23 (22.5). I think that or 80% is the most common out there.

I will give you one word of warning in dealing with these day limits keyed in by the pharmacist. I recently had my oxy's redone at a 3-week interval instead of my normal 28 day supply. I noticed when I was still at the pharmacy that he had keyed in a 30-day supply for my 90 pills, it technically should have been 22 1/2 days at 4 a day. The trouble is when I go back there in 21 days, the insurance won't cover it. I went back to him and said we have a small problem. He told me he couldn't get 22 or 23 days to work. I told him I thought I'd seen another put in 25 days. He went back in the system and it worked. I told him I was glad I caught that because if I'd have come back in 3 weeks as usual, I'd have had a real problem! I then had this happen again on another medicine not 2 weeks later. As you've probably guessed, I don't leave the pharmacy until I've checked the day's supply limit from now on.

Just my two cents. Hope all is as well as it can be!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Reading all this makes me very glad I live in Australia!

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

My insurance allows refills when 80% of my previous script is gone. I usually don't bother filling a new prescription until two days before I will run out. But, I use a small, mom and pop pharmacy that I have used for many years. I do know that it is expected that that day or two of meds is going to be used to carry me through until my next prescription......meaning that if I fill in March on the 10th, and then fill in April on the 6th- I should have meds now to last me until May 9th......and I also check my days supply number on my scripts to make sure that the days are correct. It can cause problems if a prescription is supposed to be for less than 30 days and the pharmacy inadvertantly puts the wrong number of days on it....
Back

Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
(female)

WooWoo101 HB User

Thank you all for your responses! I have had a terrible flu and thankfully had the opportunity for someone to run errands for me so I sent the script too. I am new to pm and have what I believe to be a good Doc. so I don't want him to mistrust me.
I am there for reasons of going off most of my meds. and getting some help with lingering pain from a head on collision. Hopefully I won't be there for long anyways! Wouldn't that be great!
Thanks for your responses and I hope you all have a great day!

Closed Thread