It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

sprite26 HB User
Would a third cortisone shot help?

I have had 2 cortisone shots in each foot in the past month. I'm scheduled for another set next week. The first two haven't helped at all, and I've had headaches and felt generally lousy since I had the first set. . .Would the third make any difference since the first two haven't helped at all? I'm inclined to give up and live with the pain or have an operation on the neuroma.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Would a third cortisone shot help?

Sprite,
If the first set of injections didn't help or made things unbearably worse, then I would forgo the next set. Too much cortisone or prednisone into areas that are bony is not always a good thing.
I got osteonecrosis in my wrist from taking oral prednisone for a bad bout of pneumonia. I have to have surgery on the wrist to take out that row of bones or have a fusion on the wrist because of it.
Back

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
sprite26 (04-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
(female)

Matchfoot HB User

A course of cortisone injections is Step I of extinguishing neuromas(sp?). Back in the 80's, the podiatrists I saw removed mine without the injection procedure. Nowadays, it seems conservative treatment rules.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
(female)

sprite26 HB User

According to my insurance company-you have to try this first. I just think that after two sets, they haven't helped at all and I've been sick both times for over a week afterwards, and I don't want a third if it won't help. Did the surgery help? I'm hoping for some relief-only have one pair of shoes that don't aggravate the Morton's Neuroma-in spite of having lots of pairs. And for a 60 year old woman to spend her life in hiking boots-well-there are a lot of places they dont fit in!
Thanks for responding.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Hi sprite. I have a double neuroma in the right foot. The doc said he cannot operate because you cannot cut both nerves without losing a toe, and just doing one would not get me that pain relief that we need.

I too have heard that we can only have so many injections. My thought is they did not get the right spot, and or you are having a reaction to the medication. When I got the injections, despite that hurting, it helped me SO much and I really need to have another done, but I have so many other issues right now that THAT has been moved to the back burner. Sorry you are hurting, I know how miserable this can be!!!

I have a friend that had the surgery and it helped her a lot. She did say it hurt a LOT, meaning the recovery time. When I can, I massage that foot and use ice, which does seem to give me some relief. I am just SO arthritic right now that I cannot bend enough for that foot massage that I need

Keep us posted... Hope you get relief soon!

Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
(female)

sprite26 HB User

Thanks for the information. I'm really scared of getting another shot-and since he told me that he would operate if they didn't work, I'm thinking that might be the best way to go. I've been so sick after each series so far, and then there is absolutely no relief. I'm glad they helped you. I can't imagine having 2 neuromas on the same foot.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
(female)

Matchfoot HB User

Oh, I forgot. This 52yr.old uses Lidoderm transdermal patches for foot pain. Am I repeating myself? I'm so sick of being immobile-I'm losing it! Much luck to you

Closed Thread