It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
Does hydrocodone make anyone cranky and...

...tired, more so as the day's doses add up? Starting in the AM, I begin my prescribed amount (Take 1-2 tabs every 4-6 hours, Hydro 5/325's) until bedtime. By then, it's usually been about 6-10 pills. I've been on the same doses for 2 years, didn't feel tired at first taking them, just felt better! Diminished pain and more freedom, more energy, it was a good thing.. As time went along, the tiredness and even soreness began until now, I seem to be tired and droopy a lot as the day goes on. I feel cranky within an hour and 1/2-2 hours of taking the last dose. Does anyone have any similar feelings from Hydro? JB

Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Re: Does hydrocodone make anyone cranky and...

I may be wrong but it sounds like your body is yelling at you for more narcotics (i.e. - withdrawal). When I'm ready for my next dose of meds, and particularly if I forget and time gets on, I get tired and my eyes ache a bit. That's a sign you're coming off the meds. About the crankiness, I don't know as I don't really experience that symptom but best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Everyone has different effects from medications. Sometimes the mere presence of pain can alter the way we feel, our sleep patterns, etc.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

I notice my eyes get "heavy and tired" after about my 2nd or 3rd dose of the day then they kind of stay "heavy" until bedtime. Maybe that causes you to feel tired when your eyes are tired, also the pain begins to ease in just before another dose so I'm holding it at bay. I have heard others say these meds make their eyes feel "heavy"> Oh well, thanks, JB

Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User

I am not on Norco but Percocet. However I find that I too get cranky and snappy whenever I take a full days dose ( all pills on schedule ). if I don't take them all I tend to be in a better mood. But this doesn't mean it is the same for everyone. I often ask myself where is that euphoric feeling they talk about that people get when they take these meds.
I have actually tapered myself down and emotionally felt better mood wise. But then pain was an issue so I had to take my meds.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
(female)

Brnt2acrisp HB UserBrnt2acrisp HB User

HI,
Everyone has different reactions to their meds- but I know for me I feel drowsy during the day (most days ). It's really hard to pinpoint what is actually causing me to feel like this. I take Hydro's 10/500 3-4 times a day and Flexeril 10mg 3-4 times a day. Like others have posted, I too can tell when it's time for my next dose, as I will become tired, obvious increase in pain - or cranky... (as my children say). I'm not sure if it's the pain I feel, or it's my bodies reaction to a lower level of narc. (withdrawal) symptoms.- that make me feel like this. I've been taking these for the past 2 1/2 years non-stop - I started with lower doses back in 06 and have increased over time as my pain has also increased. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm addicted to these meds, and stopping them would put my body into shock. I've gone a day without them, here or there- and to say that my pain was unbearable would be a understatement.

Have you had to increase your meds at all- to help with your pain? Sometimes it's the pain, causing us to be drowsy- as the meds that we're on are barely taking the edge off. I know for me I was taking them every 4 hours when they where prescribed in lower doses. I try to only take 3 doses a day- but sometimes that isn't possible as the flare ups that I have can make it so that I don't even sleep for a couple hours a night( because the pain in unbearable ). Are you able to rest , for about an hour a day when this happens- sometimes that helps me, takes the edge off , calms me - more or less it takes the beast out of me LOL. Actually, I'm heading there right now , as I'm a bit tired and cranky and I took my last dose about 1 1/2 hours ago. Sometimes we just need a bit more rest, possilby because we don't really sleep well a night like everyone else

I hope this helped a bit, you may have to do like a trial and error thing with your meds, rest, whatever you use that helps you get though the day. Hope you find some relief soon
CP

Old 04-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User

I agree with Brnt.... as it gets closer to my time to take my meds I get a bit drowsy. I figure it is mini Wd's, my body asking for its meds. It isn't really addiction but more of a tolerance and dependency issue

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

I just read your post where you said you take 3-4 Flexeril a day. Wow, I used to use those as a sleep aid, once I figured out I could stay awake after taking them, and one would put me out like a light! Those things are major strong and if you're feeling at all tired, I would be shocked if it wasn't the Flexeril. My Best to everyone here today!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to mju58:
mgm55 (04-23-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
(male)

I have increased them slowly over 1 1/2 years or so. I have severe teeth issues and lots of pain, then at the other end, 2 good sized Neuromas, one on the ball of each foot. They are not responding to NSAID or injection treatment but just a little bit, the hydro's have at least enabled me to work. I do think it may be my body "asks for more" sooner than it used to, more time, more pain, more tolerance. I won't go into the back and hips, which have hurt forever. I recently found vital information on these Neuromas that are mostly found on folks with a "Morton's Toe", which means the big toe is shorter than the second toe, causing a huge pronation of the feet and subject to a Neuroma. I have this. Do a search on this if anyone suspects a neuroma (a very tender and painful quarter-sized lump caused by a nerve being impinged between the 3rd and 4th metetarsals, causing lots of problems. It took me 25 years to find this out and I found it out myself. Dr.,s don't talk to us anymore. JB

Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mju58 View Post
I just read your post where you said you take 3-4 Flexeril a day. Wow, I used to use those as a sleep aid, once I figured out I could stay awake after taking them, and one would put me out like a light! Those things are major strong and if you're feeling at all tired, I would be shocked if it wasn't the Flexeril. My Best to everyone here today!!!
mju 58,

I used to feel the tiredness from taking these meds- when I first started back in 06, at that time I was only taking Flexeril @ 5mg- at night- as I had a f/t job and I couldn't function well when I would take them during the day. I took them one day, and worked a 12 1/2 hr shift- drove home, and almost went off the road (as I was falling asleep ) - so I never did that again, while working. But b/c my injuries are worse now, and I have built up a tolerance to them over time- they hardly ever cause me to "pass out", actually quite the opposite- they seem to make me more wired at bedtime ( so now I have to take a sleep aid ). I take pain mrds round the clock now, and they really don't effect my ability to drive or anything else- but I do get an almost burnt out feeling mid day ( kinda like coming down from a caffeine high)- you would think I could sleep like a baby with all of this in my system .

I wish I could stop, but I would be in sooooooooo much pain- and would probably not even be able to get out of bed. I don't suggest that ppl should increase a narcotic- easily- but if the pain is constant , like mine is - and they have no other options- and the meds are the only thing giving them some relief- then that might be the only choice they have. I would welcome anything that would bring me pain relief- would totally love to be off these meds forever- I hate them, and know that with taking them I'm going to kill my liver over time- but I've tried almost everything else ( except surgery ) and nothing else helps. I've seen to many horror stories from ppl that have had cervical/lumbar surgeries - scares the hell out of you- most end up with more pain and damage in the end. Chronic pain SUCKS- I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Sorry so long winded - Hope your day is good.
CP

Old 04-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbeanstalk View Post
I have increased them slowly over 1 1/2 years or so. I have severe teeth issues and lots of pain, then at the other end, 2 good sized Neuromas, one on the ball of each foot. They are not responding to NSAID or injection treatment but just a little bit, the hydro's have at least enabled me to work. I do think it may be my body "asks for more" sooner than it used to, more time, more pain, more tolerance. I won't go into the back and hips, which have hurt forever. I recently found vital information on these Neuromas that are mostly found on folks with a "Morton's Toe", which means the big toe is shorter than the second toe, causing a huge pronation of the feet and subject to a Neuroma. I have this. Do a search on this if anyone suspects a neuroma (a very tender and painful quarter-sized lump caused by a nerve being impinged between the 3rd and 4th metetarsals, causing lots of problems. It took me 25 years to find this out and I found it out myself. Dr.,s don't talk to us anymore. JB
JB,

Wow, I feel your pain- I had surgery back in 91- on my left foot- a bunion-ectomy-,and something to straighten out my 4 digit ( a wire was placed in that toe because it turned outward ) I still have a problem with the ball of my foot- but no where near the pain that I had b4 the operation. My big toe on that foot is longer also- The ball of my foot only causes me pain if I wear high heels- and with my back and neck issues I don't bother as it will make my injuries flare all the more. I did have orthotic insoles made for my sneakers- and had to wear them for about a year- I also have huge spurs on both heels. But now I only use them when my feet flare up- Not often at all . I was a big time high heel wearer - absolutely loved my shoes LOL - but then the pain was unbearable- so I had to be sensible about the whole thing - giving up my shoes wasn't easy- but I did, and now my feet are pretty much pain free. Now I know, that you prolly don't wear anything like I did LOL - but even a mans workboot or some shoes have a heel in them- and they can do the same thing- I've seen w/b's that have a 1-1 1/2 heel- , our feet were not meant to be put into these things- and some of us will suffer for it.

What type of shoe do you use ? I've found that wearing sneakers is the best for both of my problems. And your job, are you on your feet a lot ? I also remember trying to elevate my feet - daily- to help with the pain, do you have any swelling from this ? Only once in a while, do I feel pain , in my foot where the ball ( feels like it rolls ) inside my foot. I found ice helped also, and just listening to my body- when it was tired - had to rest. I know that your foot problem seems much worse than mine was- I hope you can find something to give you relief, as obviously we have to use our feet- for everything we do ( other than sleep) and our whole body weight is on them- they sure do take a beating- but don't give up, keep looking and trying anything you think might bring you some comfort

What is up with your teeth? is there anything your dentist can suggest to help with that- I know teeth pain is unbearable, it just causes us so much pain- and throws off our ability to focus.... on anything-causes headaches and earaches - on top of the pain that is felt in your mouth- Sending you some hugs , as I know you must be hurting something fierce

I wish you the best, hope your feeling better soon
CP

Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
(male)

Well, CP, the shoes I had worn before this mflared up were probably too tight at the toes, making it easier for a Neuroma to act up or get worse, which mine did, so I got some new Asics (spelling?) with insoles. I work with people on the gym floor and outdoors, so I'm nealry always on my feet.They can swell or ache at random. The teeth problems came from 3 years of toxic mold exposure, making the system "ornary" to other bacterias and fungus, and very out-of-sync. It affects many ares of the body. My step-son and I got it in the teeth. His are all gone, I got 4 left on the bottom, 10 left on top. They decay from the root where the bacteria gets in. I'm hanging in there but it all hurts, bottom line, so 5that's where options come into play. I can't see clients grimacing and hobbling so I take a pain pill to continue working. When I put it like that, taking a pill in order to work is not such a bad thing, it's just when it becomes too many pills or taking more than you should, there is such a fine line between addiction and physical dependence. Take care, JB

Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbeanstalk View Post
Well, CP, the shoes I had worn before this mflared up were probably too tight at the toes, making it easier for a Neuroma to act up or get worse, which mine did, so I got some new Asics (spelling?) with insoles. I work with people on the gym floor and outdoors, so I'm nealry always on my feet.They can swell or ache at random. The teeth problems came from 3 years of toxic mold exposure, making the system "ornary" to other bacterias and fungus, and very out-of-sync. It affects many ares of the body. My step-son and I got it in the teeth. His are all gone, I got 4 left on the bottom, 10 left on top. They decay from the root where the bacteria gets in. I'm hanging in there but it all hurts, bottom line, so 5that's where options come into play. I can't see clients grimacing and hobbling so I take a pain pill to continue working. When I put it like that, taking a pill in order to work is not such a bad thing, it's just when it becomes too many pills or taking more than you should, there is such a fine line between addiction and physical dependence. Take care, JB
JB,

Wow sweetie, I feel for you and give you credit for the strength you must have to keep going. I remember when I had the foot issues, it was extremely hard to stay on my feet. I understand your need to take the pain meds, as you have so much going on. Only you can control how often you take them- but I do understand the need to get some relief from all of the pain. It is a very thin line, one that we have to be very careful with. With your teeth issues, is it just a waiting thing? There is no hope of saving them, or having them extracted sooner so that your not in that pain anymore, I mean if it's inevitable that in the you will loose them - just trying to think of something to ease the pain your in now. I knew mold was a troublesome thing, but I never realized the severity of what it could do- Was this in your home ? I'm really sorry that you and your stepson have had to endure all of this- with all the meds out there it really upsets me to think that there isn't something that could help you. I wish you well in this, take the meds that you need to- in order to keep working, just be careful. Maybe a different med would last longer, and not cause you to be tired. Have you tried other pain meds ? Discuss this with you PC and see what they have to say- I hope you find some relief, and comfort soon. Wishing you and yours some pain free days
CP

Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
(male)

Such a nice response deserves a decent one back. I moved into my fiance's condo to aid with her son's care while she underwent 3 surgeries. It was tougher than it should have been to me. I noticed my head felt clearer when i was not in the condo. My lady had already called about the smells in the kitchen, I felt there had to be mold or something, so she finally got the landlord out to check. He told her "I didn't find a thing" after he "inspected the pantry, under the sink, etc. I didn't believe him so a licensed Mold Inspector I knew from the gym came in and took air tests and spore swabs. the report came back showing 5 molds, 2-3 of them were toxic, causing a myriad of symptoms that have laid us for a loop. We are under litigation because we found out he knew the leaks were there before but would not pay to fix them, a plumber told us.The Mold guy saw them and told us they should have been fixed or replaced 4 years ago. The leaks were coming from the upstairs bathtub and toilet. It has made us sick in more ways than I'd ever believe. Don't wait if you ever come across similar circumstances, there's probably mold present .If there is faulty plumbing, you'll generally find mold. JB

Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
(female)

Outtapain HB User

Hydrocodone can make you feel this way. I think it is from giving you such a good feeling when it starts working and then it relaxes you. You go from feeling energized to feeling so tired your eyes just want to close. You should talk to your doctor about upping your dose so you only have to take one at a time. Your body will build up a tolerence to fast otherwise and they wont be working.

Closed Thread