It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

Alania HB User
How long is this prescription supposed to last??

I have a precription that is written like this< Take 1 - 2 tablets by mouth every 4-6 hours as needed for pain it is 60 tablets. How long is this suposed to last? IN days? PLEASE

Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: How long is this precription suposed to last??

Was It written by a pain doc you see once a month. If that's the case it's a 30 day supply. When is your next apt? Percocet is a C-2 so he won't be calling in a refill. You will have to see him. Didn't you discuss how to use the medication he prescribed. Often Break through meds the prescribing instructions may be amibigous but when you know your next apt is 30 days from the last, It's not a huge leap to consider it a 30 day supply. You really better to tough it out as long as you can than burn a relationship with a doc before you realy get it started. What were his follow up and after care instructions. Were they prescribed for chronic pain or an injury? What type of doc. what type of injury or pain? Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
(female)

Alania HB User

i just had total hip surgery. i just need to kno how long it is suposed to last before i call. i have 4 oxycodone 5 mgs left. they wrote it on the 13th.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
(female)

Alania HB User

surgeon wrote it. before surgery i was on oxycodone 10 mgs 4 x a day or lortab 10 4 times a day

Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

By my calculation, that's a max of 8 pills a day. Therefore, 60 pills should last you, if taking the max, 7.5 days. Today would be the 6th day, so you're a little ahead of schedule. You may need to contact the surgeon if you're still needing the max dose this many days after surgery. It may indicate a problem but he/she should know. Just my two cents worth, best of luck!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User

If you take 2 tablets every 4 hours they will last 5 days ( 12 a day ) 1 tablet every 6 hours would be 4 a day lasting you 15 days. But is depends on how the script was written. Most Sch II are for 30 day supply regardless of how many you take a day. 1-2 every 4-6 hours with 60 pills have to last 30 days

Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

The label should have a MMD designation on it somewhere. That means Maximum daily dosage= the number of pills in total that you can take on any given day. So despite the dosage of 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours, if the maximum daily dosage is 6, then your prescription should last you 10 days, no matter what else the label says.......if the maximum daily dosage is 10, then the prescription should last you 6 days from the date of filling.
We should all make sure that if the MDD is there on the label that we follow that rule along with the dosing schedule because the MDD is what the pharmacy and the doctors office is going to stick to when it comes to refills.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

As others have said, call the doctor..... he might issue you more of these pills, or, since its been a week since your surgery, he might switch you to a different analgesic.

Call him and let him you still need a prescription strength analgesic for a while. There will come a point where, while you still might be in some pain, he will stop the prescription stuff, and expect you to use simple Tylenol to manage minor pain, that can persist for some weeks

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: How long is this prescription supposed to last??

Now that we know it's post surgical pain tand not chronic pain their is no reason to think it's a 30 day supply. However your surgeon likely has his own comfort zone when it comes to how long you will be on oxy befiore switching you to something milder and then using OTC. Someone mentioned the MMD. Max calculated day supply. it is on your paper work. The pharmacist had to calculate it to submit it to your inurance. He could have calculated anywhere from 6 pills a day to 12 which greatly effects when insurance will pay for the next script of 5mg oxy. Not neccesarily when your doc will right the next script. If your that low absolutely call. Post surgical pain is treated very different without contracts and the hoop jumping Chronic pain patients live with. When you run low and if your still hurting, call the doc. Dont let it turn into an emergency on friday night. Call your doc and let him know you still need something for pain, He may give you more oxy or he may call you in some hydrocodone or tramadol, It jusrt depends on the doc.
good luck, dave

Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Re: How long is this prescription supposed to last??

I know I already posted on this and I really don't want to beat this into the ground but...

First off, you do appear to basically be taking the meds as prescribed, give or take a bit. That is also considering your taking the max amount allowed. Now, I still say that if there is still a post-op need to take the max amount of pain meds about a week afterwards, the Doc needs to hear from you, period! Surgeons typically only give out about a weeks worth of pain meds post-op for just that reason, if you need to continue the meds, he needs to evaluate why. It could be a number of reasons but he needs to see and talk to you to make that "call". Please call the Doc and work with him to get things settled. Best of Luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
(male)

vsromero HB Uservsromero HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
The label should have a MMD designation on it somewhere. That means Maximum daily dosage= the number of pills in total that you can take on any given day. So despite the dosage of 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours, if the maximum daily dosage is 6, then your prescription should last you 10 days, no matter what else the label says.......if the maximum daily dosage is 10, then the prescription should last you 6 days from the date of filling.
We should all make sure that if the MDD is there on the label that we follow that rule along with the dosing schedule because the MDD is what the pharmacy and the doctors office is going to stick to when it comes to refills.
Hi backhurtz,

I have been on pain medications, break-through pain meds and NSAIDs for the past ten years and I have yet to see a MDD on any of these prescriptions.

Of course, there is the prescribing doctor's instructions on how many and how often to take them and for what purpose but, never have I seen a MDD on any of my prescription container label.

Although, I have seen a MDD directive on many over-the-counter products but not on any of my prescription labels.

So, it's hard to say how long a prescription should last especially for a medication prescribed to take post-surgery. Who knows how painful or how long the pain will last while recovering from surgery.

I know for sure that there are exceptions to refills when it comes to medications that were prescribed for post-surgeries. So, it's very important that the patient be very vocal about how much pain he/she is still experiencing when getting close to running out of post-surgery medications.

Man, I will NEVER forget the pain I felt after I had my fusion surgery back in Sept/2007. It still seems like it was yesterday.

Closed Thread