It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
(male)

MarylandWest HB UserMarylandWest HB User
In PM but going for sugery for the reason I'm in PM I have ? and concerns Please Help

Ok. Ive had a fusion of my 1st MTP (Big Toe). Its become a non union due to the fact that the 1st surgeon didn't remove some things he should have. I went to one of the best surgeons in the area finally and he will be doing surgery on me next week. It will comprise of removing several bones that should have been removed and taking a piece of my own bone and replacing the cadaver bone which hasn't fused. Now onto my ?'s

I'm in PM 15mg MS Contin 3xd and 5 perc 10s for BT pain. I brought all this up to my surgeon and he stated that he would give me something stronger on top of my PM Meds to handle the post op pain for a few weeks but to keep taking my PM Meds.

I have an appointment with my PM this week to explain whats going on and what the surgeon said. The surgeon also asked for the PM Docs name and number and said he will contact him.

Has anybody been through this before? This is my first time having surgery while on a PM regiment and I'm a bit concerned. How is this usually handled? Does your PM Doc usually keep you on your PM regiment and the surgeon just adds on additional post op meds to get you through the first couple of weeks? And then you go back to your PM Doc? I have no clue so any info would be great. Needless to say I'm more then a bit nervous cause I know I have a high opiate tolerance. How do you convey this to the anestesiologist and nurses etc without sounding like a junkie?
Thanks
MD West

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: In PM but going for sugery for the reason I'm in PM I have ? and concerns Please

It depends on the PM practice. I've had it done both ways , where the surgeon prescribed all of my pain medications for about three months post op, then I returned to my PM doctor and the last time that I had surgery, the surgeon handled my meds during the stay in the hospital and immediate discharge but after that, I saw my PM doctor.
Either way, I made sure that the plan for my after surgical care was clear to me, to the surgeon and to my PM doctor so that we all were on the same page.
Back

Closed Thread