It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User
reward for being compliant

My last PM appointment was a routine med follow up. Did the UA I was expecting, ( every 3-4 visits ), saw a new PA of course and had to go over history as I had only seen her 1 time before a couple years ago. Very approachable Doc though, very relaxed visit. She then asked me if I would like to have 2 months of scripts given to me so I wouldn't have to come back next month just to pick up a script basically. She said I have always been compliant, following all rules, one pharmacy, no Doc shopping, etc. I have been going to this PM for 3 years now. I was floored. She said I am only the 2nd patient she has ever offered this to. So I have scripts post dated for May that I locked in the safe. It felt good the be trusted this way and I realized she wished all her patients were this trustworthy. I asked her how many patients abuse them there at that practice and she said about 20%. It is hard to follow all the rules all the time, not take that extra pill,not sip that glass of wine or that cold beer on a hot day, or give in the the "family member" whose back is KILLING them . I realized that I was lucky to have a Doctor who trusted me,( not that I could do anything with the extra script as it was dated in future ). But I have earned that trust over the past few years as well. I think if more patients were compliant with their contracts with PM we wouldn't have to deal with all the other BS that comes with the territory. Everyone can lose a bottle of meds on vacation, luggage really can get lost, safes can be broken into or even taken if not bolted to the floor. We all have days where we need that extra pill because we did too much in the yard or walked too far etc.
Nothing much to say really other than what I said. I really just wanted to share my experience yesterday at my PM visit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: reward for being compliant

Isn't that great? It makes you feel like you have won the jackpot. I am in the same position. After 5 years I am now given two months of post dated scripts. It's funny because I kept telling my PM that I really needed to come in and see them that third month. I just NEEDED to be there. My PM finally laughed and said I didn't need to come in. What I did need to do was to take my meds. We have a every visit battle. He wants me to take the meds and i would prefer not to. Finally I took then one month the way he wanted....i have to admit that I felt better. Then I had to eat crow and tell him. He yelled "YES" and threw his arms up in the air. He didn't need to make such a big deal out of it! But it is nice to be trsuted....

Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

I have the same relationship with my PM doctor as well. It is nice to be able to come in every three months to see the doctor and then just not have to come in to pick up scripts the others. I have been there though for the previous 5 years and I jokingly asked one day why I had to come each month and the doctor heard me and said, you don't need to. I just like talking with you.....LOL
So, I only see him every third month. I like it that way. It sure makes things easier for me and for him I think too. But I have also earned the right to be treated as a respected patient by following the rules, even before the rules were made part of his daily practice.
Back

Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I had something similar happen to me this month too! My doctor's nurse called a few days before my appointment and asked if I would rather come in just to pick up my script, due to the doctor having a scheduling conflict. I was very pleased for that feeling of trust as well. I don't expect it to be a ongoing thing, but just that once made me feel good.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
(female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User

I have the same thing with my PM doc, but after only 6 months! I'm following the rules, but some of you know I'm having problems there now. They're still only having me come in every 3 months, but they're giving me a hassle about breakthrough meds.

I would rather come in every single month if it meant I got consistent care that didn't change abruptly (and that I wasn't being lied to about why, I suspect, anyway).

I love feeling like I'm being trusted (and I've given them every reason to, no failed UAs, no doc shopping, bringing back unused scripts from things insurance wouldn't cover or unused pills because of bad reactions, always having my meds with me, etc.), but part of me wishes they had made me wait/work longer for it. I know that sounds insane, but now that I may have to change PMs because of the issue I'm having, I wonder if having more strict appointment scheduling, no called-in or mailed-in scripts would have prevented this from happening.

I think it's great that you all have such awesome relationships with your PMs. I feel like mine barely knows me - in and out in under 5 minutes and now I'm only seeing the PA. I especially love the person whose PM just likes to have them come in to talk to them. That is truly wonderful. You all have certainly earned your doctors' trust.

Closed Thread