It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
(male)

tendonitis HB User
I am 19 and Just got elbow surgery!!!

scope+debudement on left elbow. had an olecranon bone spur. shaved that down a little bit, it was too pointy. this happened on the 12th, i go back on the 25th to get stitches out, and to officially take off the dressing/bandage. this was done at Shands/UF/gators. they also sent me home with rehab exercises that i have to do every waking hour. recovery time he said is no more than a month, just the first week should be a little painful.

i can straighten it/bend it, not as painful as first couple days. not even taking the oxycodone anymore even though i cant use that arm yet. i accidently opened the fridge with my left arm.....not going to do that again. It still hurts when I straighten it.

im not going to have regain strength correct? just have to wait for the pain to go away right? doc said i can start lifting again few weeks after procedure, just light at first...

o ya i also got 2 cortison injections. 1 for each tennis elbow, they hurt the day after! lol

Old 04-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: I am 19 and Just got elbow surgery!!!

Sounds like you will have some work to do, fortunately you are very young and will likely bounce back just fine. I hate to say that you should probably just tough out the discomfort if you can -maybe a Vicodin or two if you overdo it, maybe. I see no role here for any long term opiates -as in contraindicated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
(male)

tendonitis HB User

so should I force it if theres pain involved? ex. when bending curling my arm its hard to bend it all the way. Theres pain from elbow, and pain from stitches. Should I help it out with my other arm so it comes up all the way? I can come up a good amount, its just the last inch that is hard. Because of pain...

Old 04-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Naturally you should follow your Doctor's instructions. Don't push into pain, instead you should gradually approach the limits -and know that over time your full range of motion will be the ultimate goal.

Recovery from injury is a very individual experience with many variables. Pushing into, or through pain may be a tactic for a body builder or runner who is breaking down some natural barriers to higher performance but it is not a good approach to healing an injury. Slow and steady is what you need.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
(male)

tendonitis HB User

so if i dont get full range of motion is that okay? I only way I can is by pushing it with my other hand and that kinda hurts. I scared i wont get full range of motion back unless I force it now?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Listen to what ISO said. Don't force your arm. It takes time for it to heal. and as it gets better you will get the motion back, but you need to do it slowly. forcing your arm up with the other hand isn't going to do any good except cause you more pain. You injured arm needs to do the work alone-not by being forced with your other hand. You will get back to normal it just takes time.

Mu mom had a frozen shoulder. Couldn't raise her arm above her waist. She regained full use-and she was 70! It will come back-have patience - and do your exercises faithfully. They will help.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User

Definitely dont force it. I had surgery for tennis elbow also, among my many other tendinitis surgeries. Give it time to heal, do the prescribed exercises and your dr will check the ROM at your follow-up appointments. If he feels you're getting stiff, he'll send you to physical therapy to break it up or teach you how to do it yourself.
I developed a lot of scar tissue after one of my shoulder surgeries and was able to break it up myself.

Closed Thread