It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
(male)

DarrellK1960 HB User
Opana ER vs Oxycontin CR

I've been on Oxys for many years and it used to be a miracle drug before it was re-formulated. The Oxys are no where near as effective as they used to be. I won't go into my degenerative disc problems at lumbar and cervical but have too much damage to have sugery. Does anyone out there that has switched to Opana ER from Oxy CR and Roxicodone for breakthru pain have any experiences they would like to share re: the switch?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Opana ER vs Oxycontin CR

hi-i too have much damage to C & L spine; anyway i too took oxycontin 60mg- 3 a day with much relief-until the reformulation-they began to give me severe anxiety w decreased pain relief-significant. so, my Dr changed me to OPANA ER 40mg- 2 a day-HE told me now they are twice as strong as oxycontin-so he gave me less bt med, cuz i wouldnt need them. opana er is garbage. i gave them 2 months. they do not effect severe pain. i will say he gave me a 10mg opana ir for bt, 10 day supply and they do effect bad pain-100% better than the opana er. but my ins will only pay for the opana er, not the regular ir opana. the opana er has a very low bioavailability(about 10%)when taken orally; the oxycontin bioavailability is much higher; that is why they worked better than the opana er; that is before the reformulation of oxycontin by Purdue. when i refilled the 10mg ir opana, i was given the generic-and it is nothing near the brand name=garbage too. so, i must be changed again-this time i am bringing my ins book of covered meds-there are quite a few options available that i have not tried-but it is still gonna be trial and error as before, i do ok with percocet 10 as bt; the opana 10mg ir is a lot better and works longer. i need to find a LA med that will work for me.

good luck- and if you do try the opana at all please post how it works for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
(male)

DarrellK1960 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
hi-i too have much damage to C & L spine; anyway i too took oxycontin 60mg- 3 a day with much relief-until the reformulation-they began to give me severe anxiety w decreased pain relief-significant. so, my Dr changed me to OPANA ER 40mg- 2 a day-HE told me now they are twice as strong as oxycontin-so he gave me less bt med, cuz i wouldnt need them. opana er is garbage. i gave them 2 months. they do not effect severe pain. i will say he gave me a 10mg opana ir for bt, 10 day supply and they do effect bad pain-100% better than the opana er. but my ins will only pay for the opana er, not the regular ir opana. the opana er has a very low bioavailability(about 10%)when taken orally; the oxycontin bioavailability is much higher; that is why they worked better than the opana er; that is before the reformulation of oxycontin by Purdue. when i refilled the 10mg ir opana, i was given the generic-and it is nothing near the brand name=garbage too. so, i must be changed again-this time i am bringing my ins book of covered meds-there are quite a few options available that i have not tried-but it is still gonna be trial and error as before, i do ok with percocet 10 as bt; the opana 10mg ir is a lot better and works longer. i need to find a LA med that will work for me.

good luck- and if you do try the opana at all please post how it works for you.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
(male)

DarrellK1960 HB User

Wow, you have the same issues I do. I saw my pain mgmt dr yesterday and almost went ahead with the switch from OC to Opana. He wrote me some 10mg Opana IR for breakthru pain and to see if it worked better. I get to the pharmacy and find out that my insurance as well only covers the ERs. So I had to go back and switch my Rx to the Roxicodones, They work better than the new OC CRs. I too have had anxiety attacks since starting the new OCs. My other dr switched me to Klonopin 8mg a day from Xanax 6mg. The Klonopin worked great 2 weeks then the anxiety and panic attacks returned. I called the dr and left 2 msgs re: the Klonopin stopped working. A week later I got a call from his office stating that I was discharged for NON-COMPLIANCE? No explanation whatsoever, only a letter stating I was discharged for NC. Actually under the AMA medical code of ethics 8.115 that he has an obligation to keep me under his care until I can obtain another dr. However, due to prior experience, doctors can get away with this for there is no justice in Alabama! I thought you were supposed to inform your dr. if your symptoms worsen. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I asked him to take me off Seroquel for sleep. Instead he informed me that he gets compensated for writing Seroquel. Then he increased my dose from 100mg a night to 400mg. Then told me if I stop taking it I will have a seizure! As for my pain mgmt. I don't know what to do. The new OCs are almost worthless, it has caused a rash and itching too which I didn't have until they re-formulated the OCs. It makes no sense that people who really need adequate pain relief has to suffer because of the addicts that abuse opiates. It's the same with firearms. One day, omly the criminals will have guns.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
(male)

DarrellK1960 HB User

Wow, you have the same issues I do. I saw my pain mgmt dr yesterday and almost went ahead with the switch from OC to Opana. He wrote me some 10mg Opana IR for breakthru pain and to see if it worked better. I get to the pharmacy and find out that my insurance only covers the ERs. So I had to go back and switch my Rx to the Roxicodones, They work better than the new OC CRs. I too have had anxiety attacks since starting the new OCs. My other dr switched me to Klonopin 8mg a day from Xanax 6mg. The Klonopin worked great 2 weeks then the anxiety and panic attacks returned. I called the dr and left 2 msgs re: the Klonopin stopped working. A week later I got a call from his office stating that I was discharged for NON-COMPLIANCE? No explanation whatsoever, only a letter stating I was discharged for NC. Actually under the AMA medical code of ethics 8.115 that he has an obligation to keep me under his care until I can obtain another dr. However, due to prior experience, doctors can get away with this for there is no justice in Alabama! I thought you were supposed to inform your dr. if your symptoms worsen. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I asked him to take me off Seroquel for sleep. Instead he informed me that he gets compensated for writing Seroquel. Then he increased my dose from 100mg a night to 400mg. Then told me if I stop taking it I will have a seizure! As for my pain mgmt. I don't know what to do. The new OCs are almost worthless, it has caused a rash and itching too which I didn't have until they re-formulated the OCs. It makes no sense that people who really need adequate pain relief has to suffer because of the addicts that abuse opiates. It's the same with firearms. One day, only the criminals will have guns.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

yes-is is a shame, and that is why am ALWAYS afraid to tell my dr something like-this medicine isnt helping me. at all. i have not told him yet that this opana er does not help and am afraid to for fear he will think i am a pia patient, but my husband says i should not feel this way-but you know exactly what i mean-one thing, i never call on phone i wait to see him in person at appt=i will probably chicken out n say nothing-except my ins wont pay for opana ir=that, i cant help

The following user gives a hug of support to BB07:
DarrellK1960 (04-21-2011)
Closed Thread