It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
Concerned about taking Cymbalta

Hello everybody! It's been a few months since I've been here. I'm happy to say that, while my pain is steadily increasing, my pain relief is better I'm seeing the 'real' Dr now instead of his PA and he's the best.
So, he asked me to try Cymbalta 60mgs. It was way too expensive so he gave me a month worth of samples and said please just try it and if it works, maybe I can find a way to pay for it. Ok, I tried it last night. And I got horribly sick and threw up Yuck. I read about it on the internet this morning and almost all the reviews were horrible, but the one that scares me the most is the withdrawals. I went through a terrible withdrawal from Effexor a few years ago and I dont ever want to experience anything like that again.
I'm thinking of callin him and telling him never mind.
What are your experiences with this drug?
Thank you.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
(female)

musiccitygirl HB Usermusiccitygirl HB Usermusiccitygirl HB User
Re: Concerned about taking Cymbalta

I hated it. It made me sick at first too. I took it for about a month but, I was started out at 30 mg. One night I forgot to take it and the next day I felt human again. It took forgetting to take it before I realized it was turning me into a zombie. Two thumbs down!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
(female)

Thats pretty much the same response I read all over the internet. I'm not going to take it anymore. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Mom- I have been taking it for almost two years. My doctor added it as an additional pain med. He was also concerned at that time about my state of mind. My parents had passed 5 weeks apart. I sat with my mom for a week until she left us. I think he wantd to make sure there wasn't amny deep depression.

I can say that it made me woozy when I took it in the morning, so I switched to the evening. I take it with a meal and i don't have any issues with it at all. It really does add coverage, but it is expense. It's in the top tier of co-pays under my plan....

I would hope that you give it more of a chance than the one pill that you took.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

Sorry about your parents ibake
How long does the nausea last? That was so horrible last night. I did take it at night; he told me to. I have anxiety, so I take Celexa, which is the best med I've ever been on, and I've been on plenty of them. He wants me to substitute my wonderful celexa with the cymbalta. My biggest concern is the expense; if it works, but I cant afford it at the end of the month, I'll have the withdrawals. Scary!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

The cymbalta will replace the celexa and give pain relief. So it covers two issues instead of one. I think it only took me less than a week to get over the "new medicine" issues. If you find that by the end of the month you can't take it for whatever reason-cost or side effects, I don't think that you would be dependant on it. It usually takes longer than that- i think...

I hope you find relief with whatver you use! hugs

Old 04-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

I took Cymbalta recently, and described it here on the Forum. Gotta say, I'm not a fan of it.

The side effects were mild, a few of the Effexor brain zaps, and an odd disconnected feeling. I also had no pain relief that I could discern (though it wasn't expected).

Cymbalta for me was the culmination of 20+ years of SSRI's and SNRI's, all basically doing variations of the same thing, NOTHING! Well, nothing positive.

At the end of Cymbalta I was a locked vault of distress and apathy. Cymbalta successfully stuffed down the last remains of my humanity and made me a near total vegetable.

A couple of months ago I finally tried Wellbutrin, which I have always waved off as inferior........ After 3 days on Wellbutrin I was crying like a baby, letting out years and years of pent up emotional distress..... Not fun but I felt alive, it felt real, and since then I've really made some strides. All is not perfect, for sure, but at least there is some movement and even some joy!

All the best~

Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User

I started on 30 mg at night then gradually went up (Cymbalta). I have no effects from it and am on 120 mg now and have been for aprox 6 months now. Effexor, now that was another whole story. I took that for 3 months and for the whole 3 months i was sick, dizzy, nauseaus, light headed etc....finally could not handle it any longer and have no idea why I even waited that long to stop taking it.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
(female)

Isotope~the way you described that is the way I felt on Effexor; apathetic, a vegetable, brain zaps. And the withdrawal, oh Lord. That was the worst few weeks ever. When I quit taking it, again like you said, all the pent up emotions poured out of me. I'd cry for no reason, then burst into hysterical laughter, then cry again. My brain was zapping so bad, I couldnt leave the house for a week. I never want to go through that again. Ever. Thats why I'm so afraid of this new med. It sounds way too similar.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow View Post
I started on 30 mg at night then gradually went up (Cymbalta). I have no effects from it and am on 120 mg now and have been for aprox 6 months now. Effexor, now that was another whole story. I took that for 3 months and for the whole 3 months i was sick, dizzy, nauseaus, light headed etc....finally could not handle it any longer and have no idea why I even waited that long to stop taking it.
I actually took Effexor for a few years before I noticed problems. Well, actually my hubby and friends noticed it. The apathy and whatnot came on slowly. My family approached me, not knowing it was the medicine causing it, but wondering if I needed serious help. I was 35 lbs overweight (rare for me and I didnt even care that I was fat) and just emotionally flat-lined. I soon realized it was the effexor causing it. I was so afraid of all anti-anxiety meds after that that I wouldnt touch another one for 2 years until my Dr basically forced me to try the celexa and its been the greatest.

Last edited by mombomb; 04-22-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

I'm not happy with these Pharma companies. They tweak one tiny carbon chain and call it something new -then they try to figure out a use for it. It's all nonsense.

I read the trials on Duloxetine (Cymbalta), it was essentially a failure, not even as effective as Venlafaxine (Effexor), they had to devise a purpose for it to exist..... But, I still wanted to try it!

Closed Thread