It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

2hipscopes HB User
Question Blah...

Hi there. I'm new to posting here in PM but have posted elsewhere. I read a lot in here and there are so many intelligent folks I was hoping someone could give me some input.

I have a whole host of issues that have been around for a long time. Anyway, I had arthroscopic surgeries on both hips last year (L in April, R in October) and one of the possible outcomes of the surgeries was long term pain. Basically that is what landed me in PM. I also have a long-standing history of back problems at L4/L5, L5/S1 as well as SI joint issues, piriformis syndrome, sciatica, blah, etc., blah. So after doing the typical PM rounds of injections - ESI's, Facet Joint whatevers - with no success, they opted for the pharmaceutical route and put me on Nucynta which didn't do anything except give me headaches and make me space out. I called and let the office know and they changed me to Oxycodone 7.5/325. So after taking that for a while it didn't do much and althought the tylenol part was low, I was afraid of continuing with it long term due to some prior blood tests that showed liver issues. So, about 2 weeks ago the PA put me on 30mg of MS Contin twice a day and I have been absolutely miserable since... I mean I'm bordering on agony - and I can handle pain relatively well so that's saying a lot.

My problem is this... I'm so reluctant to bring up the fact that this medication isn't working at all. After having read stories on here about how people have been treated, I'm happy to be seen at all! I know this sounds ridiculous because there's hardly a point in continuing to go there and be seen and prescribed medication if it's doing nothing more than no meds at all would do. So what is the best way to approach this? Is what I went from in the Percocet roughly the same as what I went to with the MS Contin?

I would sincerely appreciate any information anyone could provide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Blah...

hi-

the ms contin will should begin to give you relief once you reach the rite dose along with the percocet possibly for breakthru pain. unfortunately you are in the titration stage of opiate therapy-and it is basically guess work on your docs part-if the pa does not adjust up your long acting med-ms contin=i would ask to see the doctor-keep a pain journal for now and bring to next appt-you must also remember not expect 100% relief, if you can get 50% that is concidered quite sucessful

Last edited by BB07; 04-25-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
(female)

2hipscopes HB User

The PM office I go to has never mentioned any type of BT medication, though I read a lot of people take them on this board.

I just cannot imagine that it's possible for this medication to do absolutely nothing. I don't want to stop taking it because I want to comply with their suggested plan of action but what's the point?

I appreciate your response, BB07. I know not to expect a complete disappearance of all pain. I just need some kind of relief at this point before the moodiness from the pain makes my family dislike me. I feel like I'm ripping my husband's head off every five minutes and after the words come out of my mouth I wish I hadn't said it but I'm at the mercy of the pain right now. I'm just... I don't even know what to call it any more. Hurting hardly seems like a strong enough word to describe what's going on.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i know exactly what you are going thru-you must share with your doc what the quality of your life is like at this point-you are on a very low dose-your doc will increase as you guide as to what type of relief you are getting or not getting-your spouse should go with you during this time-be patient-pm works if your dr finds the rite med n dose for you and your pain=quality of life

Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
(female)

2hipscopes HB User

I had my appointment this morning and let them know that the MS Contin wasn't doing anything. Rather than attempt an increase, the PA changed the medication all together. So, shortly I will pick up a prescription for Exalgo ER. The PA said it was "pretty potent", but we shall see how it goes.

I let him know that I was reluctant to call and let them know any medication wasn't effective. He told me that PM is a very individualized process as far as the medications go and that it was okay to call if I wasn't having any relief. While that can't possibly change the fact that it bothers me, it did make me feel a little better.

He seemed to want to push the Fentanyl patch an awful lot, but I have issues with things stuck on me. I have nasty reactions to bandaids and had problems before with an anti-inflammatory patch, so I tried to steer him away from that.

There has still been no mention of any "break through" type of medication, but again, I'm reluctant to "ask" for any kind of anything, really. Ahh, it's all a little maddening!

Thanks for listening to and responding to me, BB07. It's nice to be able to get some of this out of my head, especially among people that understand.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Hi there. You know, it sounds like you doctor is trying to help, but I have never heard of a drug called Exalgo.....I'll have to look it up. I just wanted to let you know my experience with MS contin generic. My doctor had prescribed me ms contin same dose as you 2x per day. it didn't help so I split the dose up to three times per day and it didn't help then either. Then I got my insurance to approve Kadian, which is a brand name slow release morphine. I took the exact same dosage as i was taking with the ms contin but with the brand name and it made all the difference in the world. I can't explain, but for a couple of months I had to go back on the generic and my pain was worse then ever and then once I went back on the name brand it was a huge difference again.

I am not a huge advocate of brand name drugs over generic. Every other drug I take is generic because my insurance only covers the generic if there is one available, but for this medication the difference was huge. I am so lucky to have this covered. If my insurance stops covering the Kadian, I am going to have to go on a different medication. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I have not found the generic ms contin to be effective, but if you can get the brand name covered it might be worth a shot.

Closed Thread