It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

conductor2244 HB User
My pain doctor is wonderful! Need a little help though.

I am still really new to healthboards, but I first off want to say thank you to all of those who responded to my previous posts. It's amazing how someone you have never even met or talked to in your life can have such a positive impact on you just by providing a little support.

Anyway for those of you (almost everyone) who do not know my situation, here goes. I am a 22 year old male, recently diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome by a geneticist(sp?). Basically it's a connective tissue disorder that effects nearly every part of my body( I have the hypermobile type, not the type or types that effect the heart!) I have dislocated my right shoulder 6 times before having reconstructive surgery on my R shoulder due to complelty torn labrum and many other issues. By 17 I had advanced osteoarthritis in every joint of my body, other than my hips. They diagnosed the arthritis through an MRI along with a physical and all that. I have dislocated every finger on both hands numerous times. My toes also dislocate without warning.

When I was 18 I was second in my class (surgical technology) and had gotten all the way through the first year without a single c. Anyway, I woke up one morning in the most intense pain of my life. I could not walk, stand up, or hardly even move. Another MRI showed ruptures to my L4-L5 discs. My family and I opted for the replacement (charite Disc) and it was the worst decision I could have possibly made. I feel now that I was bullied into that surgery almost. I was never given any other options other than suffering, so we did it. Well now I have bulges at many other levels and the artificial discs is slightly our of place to put it in lamen terms. My ortho and pain management doc both agree, I should have had the surgery only as a last resort, due to severe arthritis in my spinal cord. Now it's causing major problems to many other levels. I have been diagnosed as having scoliosis and spondylosis(sp?). I dunno if those are the same things are not as we have never really discussed the spondylosis- I just have seen it listed in my chart on many different occasions.

Anyway, I have just recently started going to an actual pain clinic. I was seeing my GP who specializes is PM or something like that. There was only so much he was allowed to rx(he said). Also the more proactive I became in my care the less he seemed to care. So my ortho started sending me to my current pain management doctor, and she is truly wonderful! In fact everyone form the receptionist to the doctors really seem to care and not cast judgements. My PM doc started me on oxycontin 20 2xdaily , and percocet 10/325 3xdaily compared to 5mg of percocet 3xdaily. More importantly, she listened! She spent over an hour with me on my first visit and we went over my entire medical history, and not once did I feel like I was being treated like an addict. She told me pain does not care how old you are, and I am not going to let you suffer because your 22 instead of 44.

I began having lots of side effects from taking the oxycontin. It was really helping with the pain, but not near enough to outweigh the side effects. I had EXTREME constipation, even when on stool soft. and high fiber in my diet. Also I would have terrible nightmares starting the very night I began taking them. I would also start feeling as though I needed another pill even when I was not hurting, and was afraid I was starting to become mentally addicted as opposed to just physically. I explained all of this to her, and she was great about it. She changed my ER med to Kadian 20mg 2x daily and left the oxycodone alone because I never had those feelings when just taking the IR. I began the Kadian yesterday and It is working really well. What is the real difference in the two ER drugs. I know Kadian is morphine and Oxy is well oxy, but why is it I am getting more relief from the Kadian-I was under the impression oxy was way better?

Sorry for all the rambling, but I finally have some good news to share! Anyone that could explain the difference in these meds in detail would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping everyone is well
adam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: My pain doctor is wonderful! Need a little help though.

honestly I don't know if you'll find anyone that can give you a real scientific reason, it's just the way some meds work on different pain receptors and different people react to different meds. I was on Oxy's for 3 yrs. and they worked great. The side effects were minimal, the pain control was great, only had to do 1 increase in mg during that time. Then a few months back Purdue changed the way they made them to try and market them as safer and not as easy for street use. Whatever they did to them, they killed the effectiveness of the medication. All of a sudden a med that I'd used effectively for years didn't do squat anymore, it was like taking baby aspirin. I had to switch to MSContin which is Morphine, and now it's working fine. It took a couple of months to get the dosage right, I have to take a higher dose of it to control what the Oxy did, but the side effects are minimal and the pain control is their.

So as for why one works and another doesn't, it's just a matter of your body's chemistry and which pain receptors the meds are designed to work on, and how your body works with the med.

I'm glad you're getting good relief. I know it sucks having to deal with this at a young age. I started the Chronic Pain game at 17, have had 13 surgeries in both knees and been off and on narcotics for 12yrs, and on them daily now for the last 8 yrs. No fun, but luckily I have a great doc who understands when there is an actual need for pain control so that a person can live a somewhat normal life. Sounds like you found one too, that's a good thing.

Take care,

Kat

Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

hi adam-

i too was rx'd oxycontin-but when they reformulated this med that was really helping me and very good pain control-i began to have terrible side effects-anxiety-strange dreams. i was thenm placed on opana er and did not do well on this at all-i suffered terrible pain plus heaaches,dizzy-spacey feeling-no pain control evan though dr told me this med 2 x stronger than the oxy-it did not effect me that way at all-anyhow seen my pm yest eve as emerg visit n he placed me back on ms contin er and ir and today i feel so better after much agony after going thru 6 weeks of hell on opana because i thought maybe i just needed take for a while and it will build up in my system or something-i was apprehensive to complain to my dr because he told me how well i should do on it and i wasnt-so i finally had terribly bad pain melt down n couldnt tolerate it-i thought how i could understand how having under or not treated chronic pain could drive one to suicidal thoughts-i brought the med w me and they destroyed per law in this state and in front of me n witnesses. so, like already said, not everyone will respond the same to medications-there just is no 'cookie cutter' recipe that will fit all-it's trial n error n you will come to the rite combination of meds that give you the most help-and a very patient, compassionate,experienced pm dr such as i am so lucky to have. goodluck on your journey

Last edited by BB07; 04-27-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

Actually from what I've picked up over the years, what you're experiencing is extremely common. What works for me may not for you. That's just the way we're put together. It could be your more dominant pain receptors respond to one thing and mine are weak for that one. You get the idea. Basically, go with the flow and if it's working, Praise the Lord! I wish you the Best!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Kadian is morphine sulfate, but it is a stronger strength than what you were taking in oxy. Constipation is something that you will get with almost all the Class II narcotics. It's not something that they tell you-but they should. There are several threads around about dealing iwth constipation and what people take. I use Miralax on a daily basis, other oflks use other things. It's not something that I foget!

I am pleased that you have found your doctor. Ones like her and mine are to be commended and cherished. Three cheers for you!

Closed Thread