It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User
Long acting dilaudid

Hey, here in Canada we do have a long acting form of dilaudid called HydromorphContin it comes in strengths of 3 mg, 6 mg, 12 mg, 18 mg, 24 mg, and 30 mg capsules. It is taken every 12hrs. I alot of people find that like Oxycontin, and Mscontin that taken 3 times daily has much better coverage for their pain relief than the marketed wice daily, but everybody is different with their pain and some find the twice daily fine, others may need the every 8 hrs dosing. In the Usa their is a new drug it is 24hr dosing and it is a long acting version of Dilaudid as well called Jurnista. Not sure how well it works it is so new, have not heard anything about it yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to ruko4 For This Useful Post:
konagirl222 (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
(female)

2hipscopes HB User
Re: Long acting dilaudid

I'm currently taking the 24-hour Dilaudid, called Exalgo ER, and I think it's overrated. I'm not getting any kind of real relief from it so far. My PM's office is a little strange, though, in that they just change my meds if something isn't working rather than increase the dosage. Anyway, I just started taking it on Tuesday evening so maybe it hasn't had time to come to it's full potential... I don't know. I'll likely be calling the office tomorrow to let them know I can't go through the weekend like this after having done 2 weeks prior to starting this one on another long acting that did nothing for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i went thru similar situation with OPANA ER-i was change from oxycontin to the opana er-and it was terrible-opana er is suppose to be twice as strong as the oxycontin- so dr adjusted dose accordingly-i got 00000 relief-was told later that opana(oxymorphone)when taken by tablet orally has much lower bioavailability than oxcodone(oxycontin in my case)so when i went from oxycontin to opana i experienced WD-i was so surprised and dint realize thats what it was at first-i thought like you with your exalgo-that maybe i just need to take it and give it a chance to build in m y system-big mistake and i suffered terribly as a result-pain built so high i thought i may have a stroke or heart attack-no kidding-i hadnt remembered pain getting that bad in long time

Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

Again like I said before, Hydromorphone, and Oxymorphone give great relief and are very potent through iv or injection at the hospital given right dosage. But orally they are poorly absorbed. I find dilaudid and also Hydromorphcontin (hydrmorphone) to be awful and we did raise the doses pretty high. The oral bioavailability is just very low especially with Oxymorphone, but also some what with Hydromorphone.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
(female)

bunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB Userbunz50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruko4 View Post
Again like I said before, Hydromorphone, and Oxymorphone give great relief and are very potent through iv or injection at the hospital given right dosage. But orally they are poorly absorbed. I find dilaudid and also Hydromorphcontin (hydrmorphone) to be awful and we did raise the doses pretty high. The oral bioavailability is just very low especially with Oxymorphone, but also some what with Hydromorphone.

Hi ruko4, my Dr recently(Mar/31) changed me from Oxycodone 5/325 1-2 every 4 hrs and put me on Hydromorphone 2mg 1 every 6 hrs. Well I wished I had seen this posted a month ago, my question to you is do you think the 4mg would work better, doc will not up the oxy to 10's (was on oxys since 2006) he is strict when it comes to narcotics, but he understands my pain and will try and help me out, or would you suggest something else?
Just to let you know some history, I had a 3 level ACDF C4-C7 with titanium plate and screws which was not successful, since C3-4 has herniated and I have osteophytes at C4-5,5-6 and C6-7, cervical stenosis,etc... Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, L2,3-4-5 are herniated/ bulging, I have a lot of chronic pain issues and hate to pop pills all the time, I have been on a waiting list for about 1 year for pain Doc, few in my area of Ontario.
Thanks for any assistance.
Bunz

Closed Thread