It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
(female)

xenagurl20 HB User
Unhappy Wrist Pain...... Please Help!!

So I have been dealing with wrist pain in my left wrist for a while now. Its been on and off mostly but I guess taking a couple falls here and there don't help the situation. So here it is...I have noticed that sometimes when I go to get up putting pressure on the outermost part of my palm will strike up a very sharp pain on the ulnar side of my wrist and hand. I have also noted that while pushing carts, by the way I work at a grocery store, that will aggravate my wrist but will send a dull ache to that part of my wrist instead of a sharper pain. I did play golf for 3 years in highschool, I worked with horses throughout college, and I have taken a couple of falls since graduating last May. One I do remember was in the winter and I landed on my wrist because I remember a sharp pain in my wrist, but it only lasted a few minutes. I guess my question here is should I keep taking aleve and Wrap it for work or should I just take the aleve alone and not worry about wrapping it? I bought an ace elastic bandage but I'm not going to worry about wrapping it if that's the case. I am also right handed in case that matters. So I do a lot more with my right hand.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
Re: Wrist Pain...... Please Help!!

Have you seen a Dr? That'd be my first step. You need x-rays and possibly an MRI to see whats going on in there. Your regular Dr can order the xrays and if those come back negative, I'd ask to see an orthopedic or hand surgeon Dr. for another opinion. Xrays only see solid objects, like bones, so if the damage is the soft tissues (tendons, ligaments) thats why you would need an MRI.

I prefer braces (like the kind you buy at pharmacies) over wraps, but thats just me. The way I feel about them is, if it decreases the pain, wear them, if it doesnt, dont. I have chronic tendinitis in my arms and wear braces/slings periodically. I go through periods where it helps and then sometimes, it seems to make it hurt more, so I take them off. Also, with a brace (or wrap) you dont want to wear it constantly as it makes the covered skin ultra-sensitive after awhile.

The following user gives a hug of support to mombomb:
xenagurl20 (05-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
(female)

xenagurl20 HB User

hey mombomb,

Thanks for the post. I did end up going to the doctor today and they took xrays. He didn't find any fractures, breaks, etc. He did end up diagnosing my wrist pain as a Sprain, so in turn i am in a splint for about 10 days or whenever it feels better. If it doesn't feel better after 10 days I am supposed to go back in for more xrays. I decided to not take aleve today just to see if it would feel any different. It did...It felt worse. I felt a really bad dull ache from the center of my wrist radiating up my arm on the inside. That's along with the sharp pain when I go to get up. But nevertheless it is a sprain. Thanks again for the post. It is most appreciated!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

If you have had wrist pain on the ulnar side of your wrist , it may be something called osteonecrosis or Keinbock's disease. It is basically the disruption of blood flow to the lunate bone in the wrist. It can cause the bone to die from a lack of blood supply.
If that is what it is, it will show on the xrays when they get them reviewed .
I know a bit about it since I was diagnosed with it two years ago. And it sounds similar to what you are experiencing.
If it is Keinbock's , you will need to find a wrist surgeon with some experience with treating it for the best outcome.
I hope that it turns out to be nothing more than a wrist sprain or strain.
Back

Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User

Thats Great Xenagurl! While sprains are painful and annoying, they heal with time.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
(female)

debarm HB User

Has anyone ever had scaphoid excission with four corner fusion to repair slac wrist?

Closed Thread