It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
(female)

meatyard HB User
meds used for pain mgt - ms contin

Hey all,

I have tried many meds to gain relief from neck problems. My MD suggested we try ms contin 30mg for bedtime. They did nothing for me, not even a little bit of relief. I had always thought that morphine was one of the strongest drugs. I was just wondering if anyone else encountered this type of immunity to morphine?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: meds used for pain mgt - ms contin

When I switched from oxycontin to mscontin I had to go to a substantially higher dosage. You may just have to up your dosage to get the relief you need.....Now I have really good pain control with Percocet 10/325 for BT.

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
meatyard (05-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

30mg of oral morphine over 12 hours isnt that large a doseage, morphine by mouth needs to be used in a significantly higher dose than by injection in order to provide the same relief

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
meatyard (05-01-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
(female)

meatyard HB User
Thumbs up Re: meds used for pain mgt - ms contin

Thanks for the replies...I didn't realize that that morphine had such a low bioavailability. For bedtime use, I have switched to 20mg Oxycontin and I have found a HUGE improvement. During the day I take 15 mg oxycodone and that works pretty well (no tylenol, luckily - I still can't believe pharmaceutical companies are still using the oxycodone/tylenol combo since it's so terrible for your liver, especially for us in chronic pain). I'm glad I found this website to talk to others with similar problems. Thanks again for the responses on my very first post!

Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Also remember MS-Contin is a time release product, not the best choice for immediate help. I think that Morphine Bio-availability is actually pretty good compared to some......though I may be mistaken.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
(female)

vickye HB User

yes I have like there friends with interstitial cystits severe and they said ms contin was not strong enough..... one is on methadone now and the other said her 7.5mg percocets a day are stronger then the ms contin

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

People get in a very bad habit, when they're relatively new to PM, of expecting LA meds to work quickly and take care of their pain. They think that just because their now taking Oxycontin or Morphine that the pain is going to go away. These are time released Long Acting maintenance drugs. Their time-clock is set for 12 hr. intervals, and they slowly release the narcotic over that time period, they should never be used for immediate pain control. It takes a while for your blood plasma levels to be thoroughly be immersed with the Narcotic. That's why our Dr.'s give us BT (break thru) meds for pain relief, ones that are designed to start working immediately and last only a few hours, i.e. Percacet, Oxycodone.

On the subject of Tramadol, yes it was a wonder drug for a while, until patients and Dr.'s realized how incredibly dangerous it was. Tramadol is highly addictive, without taking much time for you to get that way. One of it's major side effects is Grand Mal Seizures and close to 60% of users have had this symptom. Since part of its pharmaceutical makeup was to act as a pain reliever/anti-depressant, many users ended up with Serotonin Syndrome, as their Dr.'s failed to mention the activity of the anti-depressant, and many PM patients are already on an anti-depressant of some type. Most reliable and dedicated PM docs do not RX Tramadol anymore.

kat

Closed Thread

Tags
morphine, ms contin, pain, strongest