It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
Humiliated in Dr. office for asking to be given...

...some more pain meds. I came in to the office before closing hoping to talk to a real person vs. voicemail. I have Neuromas on the balls of both feet that are not doing well with injections so doc gave me 20 5/325 Norcos, 1 every 4 hrs. a week earlier. The little know-it-all nurse came into the waiting room telling me I should have plenty of meds (by the script orders, I was only taking half) and that they WOULD not (not COULD not) let me have any more. She also made reference about how odd it was that I show up right at closing, as if to have a better chance at "scoring". I hobbled out on my crutches, very angry and hurt. Today I called to cancel my next visit because of the way the nurse treated a hurting patient in-need and that I would not be coming back. JB

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Jackbeanstalk
Laurette (05-07-2011), ncmommakat (05-03-2011), Outtapain (05-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User
Re: Humiliated in Dr. office for asking to be given...

I would call back and ask to speak to the offiece manager and make a formal complaint. That was just un called for

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

This is just another case of all the "bad apples" ruining it for us legitmate CP'ers. I understand that yes, some of those folks do show up late and try to get squeezed in. But all in all, if you've done everything by the book, there's no reason to be treated like this. So many of those office workers try to lump everyone into the same boat and jump to conclusions too quickly without taking in all the facts. You probably did the right thing firing them but I do fear for you in the short term. Hopefully, you can find another doc pretty fast and get the care you deserve. Best of Luck to you!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

This Dr. has 2 offices he splits his time in. He has an office in the town where I live but he's only there on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I had tried calling for 2 hours, got tired of hurting, and just went the 2 miles to his office before they were gone. I told her that but it did not matter, she had me marked. I also said that the doc only gave me 20 pills for 7 days, she said that was plenty (she's never had a neuroma), but who is she to over-ride the Dr.? I don't get it.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Just FYI...Most Dr's will not prescribe long term pain medicine for this type of issue...Neuroma's either will fade a bit after some injections....or they just need to be removed surgically...

The type of Dr. is a Podiatrist that will do the injections as well as the surgery..I had mine taken out in 2004 after trying 2 steroid shots...He mentioned that if it doesn't go away after a few tries of these..then it usually won't subside...

It was a very easy surgery...outpatient that took all of 25 minutes....was off my feet for a week on crutches...but once it is taken out...the pain is pretty much gone instantly (minus some soreness from the actual surgery site for a few days)....I only needed a few pain pills the first two days then perfectly fine..

Also...I understand you were frustrated and in pain...but just showing up at their office, without an appt., at the end of the day...is unfortunately not going to get a good result...no matter if it's a wonderful office and staff...they just aren't set up to fit someone in and hand out pain meds that way...

Again..not trying to stick up for them...just helping you and others understand it didn't look too good that way...

The medicine they gave you was meant to be used sparingly...this is where it's best to be absolutely specific with the Dr. when being handed the prescription..

Again..they are only helping you with those meds for an 'acute' phase of pain...expecting that you will further proceed to have it taken care of with surgery...not to be a chronic pain patient for the neuroma..

What type of Dr. is this may I ask?

My PM Dr. is also now a friend of mine over the years...I have gone through a very interesting learning experience what it is like on the other side for him..and he is the most compassionate and caring Dr.s around!..People adore him!..

What will you do in place of canceling your appt? I hope that you can get one to have the surgery very soon and be back on your feet again and out of pain!

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 05-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
(male)

He is a Podiatrist I've known for many years, his Father did mine and my Father's foot problems long ago. I have a good reputation (as did my dad, a highly revered war hero and Karate Teacher. When he died in 1974 from malaria problems suffered in Asia, at 44, there were 300+ people there.) This Dr. has never had a problem with pain meds, foot pain can be very severe and not all Morton's Neuroma's are created equally. I've read and heard of pain compared to kidney stones and child-birth coming from them. Mine are quite bad but when you're self-employed, health insurance is too costly and they put you on the "bottom of the priority list" at most places if you carry none. In that type situation, little else other than relief of the patient's discomfort can be done without it being on credit (they don't go for that much any more). Pain meds allow a person in these dire straits to at least work some so they can eat, live under a roof, and then maybe have some left over to pay dr. with. That's where I stand but the bottom line is I can't hardly stand this dang pain, I wish I had the luxuries you did, done, over with, and paid for....that's great for you and I'm truly glad you do not suffer any more. That's all I was trying to do when I got nailed by the Druggy Avenger and being treated like a low-life and being turned out in obvious pain, not knowing me from the Man in the Moon. I am going to tell the dozen or so clients I've referred to this Dr. what occured so it does not fall back on me if she treats one of them as she did me, for I would have been the guide that sent them to this modern witchery crap, on the brink of public defammation of character, talking from across the office lobby, 12-15 feet away, right across the whole waiting room, with 1-3 folks still close by. Thats all there is to it. JB

Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I wasn't questioning the amount of pain...Most neuroma's are excruciating...and make it impossible to walk on..

My point is that because rules are getting more and more strict with pain meds...and Dr.s are under great pressure to have documentation of the cause and treatments of issues...this type of problem is usually thought of to be 'acute' because of the success in surgery...

So a Dr. will have trouble trying to explain to either insurance companies and/or the DEA why they provide long term narcotics and not actual recommend or perform the surgery to treat the problem..

It sounds like you would be a good candidate to get on medicaid if you are not able to get or afford insurance..

I'm not trying to excuse the behavior of the Dr.s office and their staff...of course we all deserve to be treated like human beings..I am just explaining the procedures of prescribing narcotics and that it's unfortunately not going to be a good outcome to show up without an appt.

My thought is that your Dr. may not even know how the office staff treated you...I would call up and keep the appt. with your Dr. and explain what has happened and about your financial status and what he recommends as the course of treatment and where to go from here...and if/when you get another prescription...have them write down in exact detail not just the amount taken (1 or 2 every 4 hours as example)..but for how many days he expects this to last...15, 20, 30..etc...that way...you have the written proof of when you are allowed to get a refill...

Believe me..I have been treated horribly by Dr.s as well as had some amazing one's...I just want to help you out from here on out to get treatment as well as help others get what they need...

As I mentioned...I have learned so much from my PM as a friend and what they have to go through just to be able to treat their patients...he got into medicine because he cares and wants to help people in pain..

I wish you luck..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 05-04-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I'm sorry for what you're going through. And I personally don't feel a refill on the medication is unreasonable until the situation is resolved (it isn't a situation where you even implied you were looking for long term pain management). Maybe you should make an attempt to talk to the Doctor personally. Make him aware of the level of pain, the directions on the bottle, and that you weren't expecting "long term" pain relief just some form of pain management until you are no longer in such severe pain. At this point you still need treatment, so I don't think you should cancel your appointment over one offensive office worker. I do understand what you're feeling. But your priority right now needs to be getting treatment so your life can return to normalcy.

You're in my thoughts.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 05-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User

Every person's situation is different. I have had my own nightmare experiences in over 10 years as a chronic pain patient. I have the utmost empathy for the author of this thread. Good luck, sir. Sorry you were made to feel disrespected. Life is hard enough as is.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I find it amazing that in America decisions like this are left to mere functionaries like nurses and office staff. Wether or not to give a patient more drugs should be the decision of the prescribing doctor along, I would never stand for having my case treated by a nurse (well, I might if I had a bad cold or somthing like that but i would never visit a doctor for a cold anyway)

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

But, 5/325 Norco is only a weak analgesic in 1 tablet doses, you would likely get the same amount of releif from a couple of Advil

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
(male)

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I still feel "funny" about that situation, I've never been "scolded" by an assistant nurse 25-30 years my junior for hobbling in on crutches with 2 very "known-to-be-painful" Neuromas on each foot and a look of obvious discomfort. I suppose I should have kept my appointment but when it was time to go, I could not do it, all out of anxiety of going through this again with the same nurse. She is often the one who directs patients to their room and does the preliminaries and I just did'nt want to confront her. I thibk if she made another reference to my taking pain meds, I might say or do something unlike myself. I can't tolerate that kind of crap. Thanks, JB

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
(female)

Erosangel HB User

Hi,

I just thought I would let you know that I had a doctor do that to me. I left their office and never went back. My husband worked there and he had to get a transfer to another office because of it. It was pretty nasty.I like you was taking less than what I was prescribed.

I guess once they run into a person just out to score it screws with us all.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

You didn't do anything wrong, JB. They did. It's called prejudice, bias and stereotyping and it's not just you - they do it to the majority of chronic pain patients.

In no other medical setting does this happen. None. Yet it is rife and blatant in the CP branch.

I understand completely the red flags, and showing up at closing time or just before a weekend asking for a refill.

Down below here I will list the "red flags" of drug seekers. Notice that many of them could just as easily indicate someone truly having significant, debilitating chronic pain.
As CP people we educate ourselves and most of us have probably tried dozens of medications, from conservative meds to potent narcotics. This is also a red flag...

Common Characteristics of the Drug Abuser:

Unusual behavior in the waiting room;
Assertive personality, often demanding immediate action;
Unusual appearance - extremes of either slovenliness or being over-dressed;
May show unusual knowledge of controlled substances and/or gives medical history with textbook symptoms OR gives evasive or vague answers to questions regarding medical history;
Reluctant or unwilling to provide reference information. Usually has no regular doctor and often no health insurance;
Will often request a specific controlled drug and is reluctant to try a different drug;
Generally has no interest in diagnosis - fails to keep appointments for further diagnostic tests or refuses to see another practitioner for consultation;
May exaggerate medical problems and/or simulate symptoms;
May exhibit mood disturbances, suicidal thoughts, lack of impulse control, thought disorders, and/or sexual dysfunction;
Cutaneous signs of drug abuse - skin tracks and related scars on the neck, axilla, forearm, wrist, foot and ankle. Such marks are usually multiple, hyper-pigmented and linear. New lesions may be inflamed. Shows signs of "pop" scars from subcutaneous injections.

Modus Operandi Often Used by the Drug-Seeking Patient Include:

Must be seen right away;
Wants an appointment toward end of office hours;
Calls or comes in after regular hours;
States he/she's traveling through town, visiting friends or relatives (not a permanent resident);
Feigns physical problems, such as abdominal or back pain, kidney stone, or migraine headache in an effort to obtain narcotic drugs;
Feigns psychological problems, such as anxiety, insomnia, fatigue or depression in an effort to obtain stimulants or depressants;
States that specific non-narcotic analgesics do not work or that he/she is allergic to them;
Contends to be a patient of a practitioner who is currently unavailable or will not give the name of a primary or reference physician;
States that a prescription has been lost or stolen and needs replacing;
Deceives the practitioner, such as by requesting refills more often than originally prescribed;
Pressures the practitioner by eliciting sympathy or guilt or by direct threats;
Utilizes a child or an elderly person when seeking methylphenidate or pain medication.

Basically what we have is a professional medical environment where everyone suffering from chronic pain is considered a liar, a fake, who is guilty of drug seeking behavior until proven innocent.
Once you do get prescribed narcotic medication it becomes even worse for you.
Not everyone that walks into the office for CP is so quickly judged and labeled, and with a long, uphill road ahead of them. But I would just about bet the farm that everyone between the ages of 18 and 50 is - not by everyone working in the office, but I guarantee you that at least one of them thinks you're less than genuine.

This burden should not fall on the shoulders of every CP patient, but instead rest squarely with the PM professionals and their staff. It's disgusting, humiliating and disrespectful to us that reality is the exact opposite of that.

It is literally the same as racism and bigotry, for all intents and purposes.

In the end, the problem isn't you but you will suffer the problem all the same.

Closed Thread