It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
(male)

Cory75 HB User
Pain DR in Maryland needed (narcotics)

Hello everyone. I am hoping someone can help me find a pain management doctor in Maryland, close to or in Montgomery County. I was in a bad car accident that left me with horrible migraines and lower back pain. I have tried all other non-narcotic meds over the years and know that oxycodone 30mg 6x a day is what really works for me. It is so hard to find a DR that doesn't look at you like a drug user in this area. My doctor recently got married and will be moving out of state. If anyone knows a good pain management doctor in the area that has reasonable rates (no insurance!) and wont kick me out of his office when I say the word "oxycodone", please send me a PM. I have all the necessary documents showing my pain in my back, however there is no way to prove the pain in my head (except to show the photos of my accident, head went thru windshield). I am desperate as I have only 2 weeks of meds left.....Please help me guys. Thank you.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Re: Pain DR in Maryland needed (narcotics)

I know the area well and about ten years ago I used to go to a place across from the Shady Grove hospital. It was in one of those twin 6 or so story office buildings on Shady Grove Rd. and I believe the firm was called Comprehensive Pain Management. I'd give them a try if I were you. They treated me well while I was there. I wish you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
(male)

Cory75 HB User

First of all, thank you for your respose. But of all the doctors out there, you named the place I m going to now lol ! And my doctor is leaving & no other doctor will perscribe narcotics. She told me so. Wow, whatare the chances of tht happening. Thank you gin tho for ur help. EDIT: Actually, I called Comprehensive Care Physicians. And since my primary pain is in my head (migraines) & my secondary pain is my back (which, according to my MRI & some doctors isn't "that bad") they said they couldn't treat me. Said I should see a nueroligist, which I did but they won't give me painkillers, only Topomax which does nothing. It's so hard to find a doctor in this area.....sigh....If anyone knows of any other place or speciffically a doctor, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by Cory75; 05-05-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
(male)

Cory75 HB User

oops. Posted twice by mistake. Pls erase this, I can't seem to do it.

Last edited by Cory75; 05-05-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User

Wow, that is ironic! Out of all the places I could name, I hit the one you're going to. Actually, I am surprised another doc there won't take over your care. Don't firms like that typically do things like that? As for another place, I'm really sorry but I don't have anything else to give you but I have to believe a web search should turn something up. I sort of remember a place in Frederick advertising someplace. Sorry I don't have more details but do some checking around, you should be able to find something. Good Luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

contact this departing dr and have him draft you a note briefly describing your treatment and the medicine you are taking and perhaps he could refer you to a colleague or at least give you some extra medication to cover your predicament, this should not be a problem for him knowing you will suffer WD if meds are stopped abruptly, if he has been a good dr to you he should have no problem giving you enough medication to cover you to give you adequate time to find someone, also have handy some recent notes of your visits from him along with a print out from your pharmacy records showing the consistancy of the meds this dr prescribed you

Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hello. Car accident. Do you have any problems with your disks? did they do an MRI?
Generally speaking, when you have herniated disks doctors have to treat you.

Topamax did not help you? - Have you tried Lamictal?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
(male)

Cory75 HB User

Well my back is my secondary pain & she said that although it does show a slipped disc that it's "not tht bad", to use her words. But sometimes I have to roll out of bed because I can't sit up. But my primary problem is my headaches. My head hurts so much sometimes (at least twice a week) that I have to turn off all the lights & put ear plugs in my ear. And I work with customers all day! Can't do that at work! She is saying that since she can't "see" the pain, she can no longer treat me. Now, this is the other doctor tht has taken over for the doctor that has left already. That doctor was treating me for 2 years . Nope, Topax & some other migraine pills have not worked for me. I think because my headaches are accident related & not "classic" migraine headaches. I've got a slight headache right now which will get worse later, plus back pain, and ON TOP of that, I'm going through withdrawls right now.....pretty crappy hand to be dealt, huh?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i would go t the er with my medications bottles and explain you have been left high n dry n they should give you some of the meds you were taking and they should be able to give you a referral. at the very least they have to treat the WD's-try to go to a teaching hospital if one is not to far away-they have free clinics for pt's with no ins

Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

You have a slipped disks and your doctor has told you it is not that bad? THat is a mistake. I have slipped disks(bulging disks, two to be precise)and suffer day in day out. I cannot even tell you. Mine is caused by a car accident. So you might suffer from the disks and from damaged ligaments/tendons and muscles - they call it soft tissue damage.

Second thing I want to ask you. Have you done MRI of your neck?. Sometimes slipped disks can cayse pain in the head. Trust me on that one.

So let us know.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
(male)

Cory75 HB User

Thnks for everyones help. No I've never donen MRI for my neck. I've always done them for my head & lower back. In fact, in the 16 years since my accident I have had 3 MRIs done & it's always been my head (which they didn't find anything) & my back ( which, come to think abt it, may be a BULGED disc). I hit the windshield with my face at abt 40mph (I wasn't driving) so it could have very well damaged my neck, but no doctor has ever requested the MRI people to "concentrate" the MRI on that......oh and I keep saying MRI but it's only a CAT scan. I cant hve an MRI done because I was shot when I was 16 & still have the bullet in me (small caliber .25) so I can't have an MRI done, only a CAT. The withdrawls are really getting to me now....no sleep, lost 10 lbs in like 3 days, my back hurts all day long, and there is always a dull pain in my head. Who ever says painkillers should be illegal should come live in my body for 1 single day....

Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

If I understand you correctly, you are taking a short-acting pain medication 6 times daily. If this is needed then many physicians generally feel more comfortable moving to a long-acting medication such as a patch or Oxycotin. That quantity of short-acting meds per day might be hard to come by. So when you do find a new doc, you might want to keep an open mind on this. I also could not tolerate Topamax. I have found Lyrica to be helpful and many people have found Cymbalta useful as well. Good luck to you!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

welll it's going to be difficult to find a PM clinic that will treat you for migraines. Generally you need a good neurologist for that. And narcotics don't work on migraines. you need a good anti-migraine drug that you take daily and then one for onset. I use Topomax for daily and Axert for onset. But there are many other ones out there. So if your primary pain is your migraines, I would search out a neurologist first.

Kat

Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cory75. Have you tried tyneol extra strengh for your migraine? or as I mentioned Lamictal.

Perhaps what you have is NOT migraine. Perhaps it is coming from your neck. Eventhough you DO NOT have neck pain, sometimes bad disks(caused by this accident you had, sorry) can cause you something similar to migraine and therefore you should do the CAT scan. That is all I can suggest. Perhaps you had a whiplash and you do not know. WHiplash can cause many problems include migraine.

So anyway, I suggest and think you should concentrate now on your neck.

I wish you good luck.

Last edited by nochange; 05-11-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

If you're looking for a good OTC med to try, Excedrin Migraine is decent. It has caffiene in it which helps shrink the blood vessels in the head that cause the migraines in the first place.

Closed Thread