It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Bilbo HB User
Freaking out over 3 yr ssdi review!

Its been well over 3 years since I started receiving SSDI. My case originally, like many, went all the way to the Admin Law Judge phase. I had the help of a lawyer as part of my benefits program from the company I used to work with. That benefit is no longer available. About 6 months ago I received a several page form to fill out detailing my current status. My situation, while common, has me very very worried. I just receive a brief letter from the State of California stating that my SSDI was under further review and that I had to list Dr's and treatments I have received. That is where the problem is. More on this later. Why the State of California. I am a college graduate and have read this thing several times. I don't get the connection. Are the sub contracting out work to the States?

My disability stems from a lifetime of back injuries that led to a 2 level cervical fusion and a 3 level lumbar fusion. It has been a few year since I have seen my neurosurgeon but he said my entire back was riddled with DDD and Spinal Stenosis and that at some point a thoracic fusion would be needed. Right now I am able to remedy the pain with meds but there is no way I could work. I can't stand for more than 20 minutes and can't sit for more than 30. I spend most of my time in bed reading and watching TV. I can't drive most days and because of the ultra sedentary lifestyle I have gained 50lbs.

During the 1st 5 years of all of this I sought every type of doctor I could to find out what was wrong with me and if anything could be done. I ran the entire gamut of the medical system driving them crazy and came to the conclusion that I suffer from chronic pain, severe depressive disorder, PTSD and super low testosterone. The mental and testosterone components were not part of the original filing. Since I ran out of options I am in a kinda holding pattern with my GP. I see him every few months for prescription protocol and discuss any new symptoms I might have. I was getting botox injections in '09 but I found them ineffective for nerve pain.

It is my understanding that to discontinue my SSDI I must IMPROVE in health status. I have a letter from my Dr stating that I will never work again and that I am permanently disabled. I am hoping to get this letter updated to reflect all current problems and that it will suffice. I am wrong? Would a printout from my pharmacy help since I take Methadone, Hydrocodone, Ambien, Xanax and Celexa.

It is ironic that my "mental disorder" has to do with "security" due to a horrible childhood and a vow I made to myself to kick, scratch and punch my way through college and not live in a world where we could be homeless at anytime. I became very successful and was doing very well when the accidents happened. Now, with this "threat" to my SSDI, I am literally freaking out. If we loose my income we are homeless. The carper has been ripped out beneath us. My wife was in the same industry as I was, which collapsed, and she is now working a low paying retail job with no benefits. We live paycheck to paycheck yet make too much for any extra assistance. I guess that is partly due to the fact the when I got hurt we decided to hold off on having children because we didn't know if I would be able to take care of one. So much for being responsible.

Sorry for the long post. I am venting. I see my therapist tomorrow and then I am going to try and get into see my GP to get the letter updated. In case it helps understand my situation better, I am 43 years old, 6'4 and 305lbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Freaking out over 3 yr ssdi review!

Hello bilbo!, how are you? I remember you from the sleeping section. You cannot sleep.
It is you, right? or my memory betrays me.

Pharmacy's printout is not good enough. Your doctor need to print that out and also your doctor need to add there that you cannot sit and/or stand etc.

Oh by the way, thanks bilbo!, thanks to you I started with the clonazepam and it did helps to sleep.

Good Luck

Closed Thread