It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

Outtapain HB User
Prices going up for norco???

Hi everyone I have posted before on here and found everyone very helpful so I have come back to ask another question to find out if anyone else is experiencing this.

Im not sure if most of you know but they pulled vicodin from the markey. The 500 mg ones because they said it was causing to many liver problems/deaths. When they first did this my doctor was instructed to move everyone who was on vicodin to norco because it has less tylenol in it. Well he wrote out my new script and when I turned it in at the pharmacy they told me it was going to be 50.00. I do not have health insurance so every time I need my medication I have to pay out of pocket. Before on the regular vicodin I was only paying 16.00. So it was already a dramatic increase. well about a month ago I had to get my meds filled again and found out it was 60 dollars now. I didnt understand it but payed it. Yesterday it was time for my meds to get filled again. When they rang me up it came up 90.00 !!! This seemed very big difference and I told the pharmacy my meds were 60 dollars before how were they 90 now. She said she would check for me and went to go find out. She said no the 90.00 dollars was the right price. So within a month it has gone up thirty dollars???? I dont understand has anyone else had this happen

Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Prices going up for norco???

I haven't had it with my meds, but we have a giant schnauzer that has diabetes incipitus. His vasosuppressant went from $74 a month to $179 in three months...with no change in dosage or coloration or anything. The pharmacist even called the co. and asked what the deal was....it's just the cost. ARGHH!

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
Outtapain (05-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

something IS most definitely 'not right" there with that pharmacy. are you going to an actual chain pharm or an independant like mom pop type of pharm? that CAN make a big difference too. but what i would do if i were in your shoes right now is actually just call around to all the other pharms in your area, first explaining your story to them, just to find out what the overall cost of 'their' norco is per how many pills your Rx is for and just see what 'their' prices are. this just sounds so insane to me too. i just do not understand how they can justify THAT much of an increase in price at all there.

you were getting generic hydro/apap before(or you would have been paying much more than 16.00 for brand vicodin) and i also believe that norco is also a generic as well? there should not be THAT much difference in price if everything stayed the same as far as your daily doses amt. how many pills per Rx and your actual per dose amt were you taking with the previous rx and what are you now with the norco? i know norco is 10 mgs hydro per pill and 325 apap. what was the type of hydro you WERE on 5/500 or 10/500? just wondering what they are using to justify that huge increase that could also have to do with the pill amt and the mgs with certain meds as well. i know this is very true with oxycontin. still crazy tho to jump up THAT insane amt over such short timeframe.

but DO make some phone calls and find out whats up at other pharms just to see whats going on around you with the other pharms as well. whether or not you are in PM does not matter in just making some calls here to find out what is possibly way cheaper somewhere else. if there IS a big difference in price at 'just" this pharm, THEN i would ask your PM if you can possibly switch pharms. but just find out whats up first. good luck with this and i do hope you can find it much more inexpensive somewhere else. if you DO find it much cheaper at another pharm, i would definitely tell your current pharm what you find out and see first if they will meet it in price or tell them you will take your business there instead. sometimes you CAN get somewhere and sometimes you cant. but trying, well ya gotta give it a shot. this just sounds SO wrong to me too. marcia

The following user gives a hug of support to feelbad:
Outtapain (05-14-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
(male)

acman3960 HB User

Outtapain.... I just filled my prescription today for #180 Norcos at my pharmacy. They gave me the Watson 367 10/325 generic for Norco and the price for that amount was $29.30 without insurance. The place I use in not a chain pharmacy but a mom and pop type place.
Best of luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to acman3960:
Outtapain (05-14-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
(female)

Outtapain HB User

Thanks guys I think that is what I am going to have to start doing! My old script was 120 5 x a day for 24 days. The mg was 7.5/325. Then my doctor and me talked and decided to change the orders to 6 a day still same amount in mg and amount I was getting per script. It makes no sense to me why it would be so much more when I have no insurance so everything has to come out of pocket for me.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would also check out what other specific generics they may have as the above poster mentioned as the watson version too(watsons version of hydro IS a good one. reliable in the overall hydro amt in it)? they may have some other 'form" of the 10/325 hydro/apap with the same exact dose as norco availiable. as long as your doc does NOT specify a specific generic or brand or DAW the script, YOU should be able to simply ask your own pharm if they have 10/325 hydro availiable in another version that is simply cheaper(like the watson or some other co's version). but alot of pharms will usually only carry one specific generic per any given "brand name" product since they DO buy in bulk to save money, usually on the cheapest 'deal' that THEY can find thru their distributor. but it never hurts to ask.

just an FYI here, back when they had the shortage on the BT meds like roxicodone and the MS going on when the ethex drug co had its recall a few years ago(THAT was a nightmare for many), i found out at my pain clinic that most of the 24 hour pharms actually carried the widest choices in how many different drug co's these 24 hour ones just carried. so if there ARE any 24 hour pharms around you, they just might carry many more different drug co's brands there compared to the non 24 hour ones. just remembered that.

but definitely start making some phone calls to any other pharms around you. make sure you also write down the name and the prices in a notebook or something so you just have a good solid 'list". you can also SHOW this list to your current pharm too esp if 'their" prices are just wayy too over the top compared to what you find at some others? i would also call your own current pharm to ask if they even carry another form of generic first just to see if they may have another there that would be cheaper the next time you go in. if they DO and its cheaper, great. if not, at least you asked them first, ya know? but THAT much raise in price is really really sick, esp when they KNOW you are having to pay out of pocket too? i just cannot imagine ANY real justification for THAT. its such a huge 'jump' in such little timeframe, and just sounds like wayy too much money to even begin to justify it. they more than 'make up" profit with the people who HAVE ins, to 'hit" people like you with no ins in such a cruel way.

just start making calls. you may be very suprised(in a GOOD way) at the differences you find at other pharms. i HAVE heard that the bigger "warehouse stores" like a sams club really do have some good prices in the stores that have the pharms in them? and you do NOT have to even be a member to use the pharmacy part either in most of them. just call anyplace that HAS a pharm in it like a walmart and such too. good luck with this, and let us know what you find out. i really AM rather curious myself as to what you are going to find out once you just do some simple checking around. marcia

Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

costco sell the generic norco/vicodin/lortab etc for a fraction of the price you are being charged, phone around and get some quotes

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread