It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

emmasandy08 HB User
any help appreciated

Hi, I'm new to this and I sure hope some one can help....To make a long story short I was in an accident a few years ago and now have 2 fractured vertabrae in my lower back that never healed correctly and 2 bulging discs in the same area and 10% scoliosis.... I have done just about everything, chiropractic, PA, steroid shots etc. Finally I ended up just taking lots of Ibuprofen and tylenol....My last doc appt my liver enzymes came back too high in my regular blood tests....Doc said stop tylenol for 4 weeks and repeat the tests...So I've been taking as little pain meds as possible and tomorrow I go to repeat the test and want to talk to the doc....I've been researching meds that are more liver friendly...The only ones I see are opiates and the doc does not believe in those. Looks like addiction is the biggest problem....My question is How do I talk to my doc about this...At this point I don't care if I become addicted to meds or not....I'm just miserable...thanks for any help

Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: any help appreciated

sorry for the problems you are having, it's hard having back issues. First off-are you seeing a good back doctor? If not, you need to find one and work with him. If you have one-great, if not-get a refferal from your gp and go. Your gp isn't going to take care of your back issues except to tell you that you are taking too much tylenol.

Moving on....opiates are often prescribed for pain management. As a PM patient, I may end up with a dependancy, but it isn't an addiction. I don't take the drugs for a high or a rush feeling. I take the drugs to minimize the pain that I live with daily. See the difference? Many of is pm'ers will develop a dependancy...but it is NOT an addiction.

I think you will have to ask for a PM doctor. Most GPs will not prescribe Class II narcotics. The DEA keeps such a tight watch on doctors that prescribe them that GPs don't feel it is worth the effort. You can ask your doctor to prescribe something...and if he won't Ask for the refferal to someone who will. He should be able to reccomend someone to you. If not, as your pharmacist, ccheck with frineds...you get the pic.

Good luckand keep us posted...OH, while you are working on that, have you tried something like biofreeze-which is a cold therapy gel and works wonders..you can find it on line or at chiro offices. Or ask your gp for lidoderm patches. You put the patch on the pain area and keep it on for 12 hours/then off for 12. Cold pack-on for 15 minutes then off. just a few suggestions(I've tried them all)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

Sandyfet HB User

I recommend tramadol. It is a weak opiate that has a dual action and is somewhat unique. It has very low addiction potential. I have 3 slipped disks in my back and one in my neck. The best version for chronic pain is the extended release version, ultram er. It takes a few days to kick in. Addiction is less of a problem in those with pain versus those taking drugs recreationally. With tramadol, I feel totally normal with no high or low. You can become dependent to them so that if you stop, you wean yourself off slowly

Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Actually not to counter Sandy's post, but Ultram (Tramadol) has a pretty high addiction/dependency rate and is very hard to come off of, the withdrawals are very hard.

You really do need to consider seeing a different doctor. GP's are great, mine handles all of my pain meds, which I've been on for 8 yrs. now, but I also have a great ortho doc to handle my knee and leg issues. One of the problem that you're going to have is that most narcotics have tylenol in them, except for the very strong ones and generally docs don't jump straight to the big guns first.

The Lidoderm patches might be a good choice for you, there is also a prescription gel call Voltaren gel and it works really good.

I hope you find some relief and let us know what you decide to do.

Kat

Closed Thread