It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User
Pain management vs, suboxone

I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions.
I have been on oxycodone 30mg 6x a day for the past 2 years for 4 rupered discs and spinal stenosis. My pain clinic closed for the second time and I went to my appt and the door was locked and said closed. I live in WPB and the DEA is closing pill mills, which I have never been apart of. So I went to a suboxone doctor so I wouldn't go into wd, HAD to go to work. The sub doc says there is pain med in the suboxone, NOT, doesn't help my pain at all, all he does is take my money and told me everyone has herniated discs and spinal stenosis, my pain is a 10 out of 10. I tryed this for a month and want to go back to a PM doc, and have a name of a REAL pm doc, not a pill mill doc.
Can I get into trouble for going back to a pm doc. I haven't had an RX for pain meds in over 2 months.
Please help. Ready to jump off a bridge if I don't get some relief, HAVE to work, had PT and epi-durals with no relief,
Thank you
ZoieGrace

Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: Pain management vs, suboxone

Unless you've been getting pain meds off the streets or illegally i don't see how you could get into any trouble for going back to a PM doc. There's no law that says once you try suboxone you can't ever go back to pain meds.

Good Luck.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Thank you so much. All of this is new to me, with all the rules etc. Are you on suboxone or on pain meds. All I do is work and come home and go to bed unless I have pain med, very boring and limited life. my 4th grandchild will be born next month and I want to be able to play and have fun, which I am unable to do if I don't have something to ease the pain.
Thanks again
GodBless,
zg

Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

I have been a chronic pain patient since I was 17. I've had 13 surgeries on both knees and a reconstruction on my left knee all except 2 in the last 12 years. I've also had 11 abdominal surgeries in the last 11 years. I was off and on narcotics since I was 25 and then 8 yrs ago went on them daily. I've taken just about all of them, Oxycontin, Fentanyl, Vicoden, Dilaudid, etc. I am now on Morphine and Percocet with Lidocaine patches and Voltaren gel as topicals. Eventually I'll have both of my knees replaced but I'm trying to wait and let the technology get better and age a bit, I'm only 42 and don't want to have to do this more than once in my life.

I've never taken suboxone and never will. I understand the depedency is a fact of my life and that won't change. I chose living with manageable pain and being able to walk. The fact that I have to take narcotics everyday doesn't bother me. I have a great medical team and a great pharmacist all that I've been with for the last 12 years.

kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
zoiegrace (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Ca 9. God Bless you. You've been thru so much pain in your life and I am grateful that you have a good doc and can get some relief from your agony.
I believe in pain management, no one should have to suffer with all the pain meds that are available, especially you
Thank you
zg

Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Just FYI...when/if you find a new PM Dr....please don't say that you are a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale...that is for someone, for example, in the ER after a car accident with bones sticking out of them and head wide open...

When you fill out the paperwork in the office of the Dr...they should describe the different levels to you...certainly be honest..but be realistic too...but if you use that number...a DR. will note in your file that you are trying to exaggerate your pain level...

A good Dr. wants to know 'how' it affects your life...so explain what you can and can't do...like hurts to reach up and grab cereal out of the cabinet...or after pushing a shopping cart..etc...

Myself...with 3 previous cervical fusions..(last one they went in from the front AND the back of the neck in one surgery...ouch!)...I live with a level 5-7 depending on the day and activity level..

You need to find a real PM that takes insurance...sends you to an actual pharmacy to fill the medicine...(even Kaiser doesn't give out the meds from a PM's office)...

Also...you may have to start all over again with injections, may even order new testing to see your pain issues, and then start on lower dose medications..etc...because lots of PM's that don't know you from Adam...need to establish for themselves what is going on...

Any Dr. that takes someone new and just starts prescribing heavy pain meds is someone you should run from...

My PM Dr. does Acupuncture, I have an exercise plan (30 minutes per day), I eat all organic, I use a muscle relaxer when needed, a narcotic when needed, as well as a sleep med, I went to counseling the first year of severe pain to help me find ways to cope with my 'new' life...and mourn my old one...so a good Dr. will make sure you are using all the tools in a toolbox to attack the chronic pain..not just a narcotic..

So it may take some time...but hopefully you can find a great Dr. who wants to help treat you as a 'whole' person..and help you with the chronic pain..

Good luck!

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 05-13-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dear I lovemycutedog, thanks for the info. The doctor I'm going to go to does take insurance, the last one just took $200 a month.
Back in 2003-2007 I went to a REAL pain med, and he took insurance but the urine test was $650, which I could not afford, and had a fit when I got the bill.
I've had 3 epidurals $10,000 each, my insurance paid 60% and it took me 3 years to pay the balance. I was put to sleep, caudel block and it didn't help one bit. My sub doc used to do blocks but says they don't work.
I weaned myself off of the suboxone, which cost 100 bucks a week, plus his visit. All of this is a big money maker. I have great fear about starting this process over, but I feel like a knife is in my back, my right leg is numb and tingles, difficult to carry groceries and I haven't been able to lift my 3 year old grand daughter in over 2 years. It blows. There are so many things I am missing out on. After work I have to lay down for over an hr, get up and do a few things and go to bed, up at 5am to go to work. Haven't been out at night maybe 10 times in the past 7 years, I've had PT. use ice and heating pad, all the gels that burn your back off. So I guess I should tell him all these things. I litterly crawl out of bed in the am and crawl back in around 7-8pm.
I take motrin 800mg, mobic and flexeril sometimes. I also have severe depression and anxiety, so I take 5 different meds at bed time, and the hr before I go to sleep, I'm in bed and it's the best hr of the day. 5mg percocett doesn't even touch the pain. The oxycodone 30mg that I was taking 6x a day really helped, but I doubt anyone will give me that again.
I was able to get on the floor and play with my grandkids.
I fell again about 3 months ago and my older daughter was living with me and her 2 kids and she couldn't believe how I had to get up.
Sorry to go on and thanks so much for you help and being there to vent to.
Someone who understands,
GodBless,
zg

Old 05-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Thank you for sharing more info...you definitely have a lot going on and have certainly tried many things to help....

I know that will be the hard part starting over with a new Dr...hopefully you will have all your medical records to show him that you have tried these things fairly recently so won't make you go through the ringer...

The good 're-do' is to do an MRI again if it wasn't in the last 3 years to show any changes..and to see if there is something that maybe would help some with surgery...

Yes..the 6 times a day Oxycodone at that mg. was pretty high and most Dr.s will need to start smaller and build up...especially if you've been off the medicine for awhile...your tolerance will be back down again to the medicine...so hopefully something more than 5 mg though...

What type of Dr. are you seeing that is prescribing all the other meds like the Flexeril and Mobic....will they not prescribe even some Percocet or any pain med for a month while you find a PM (most will do this if you show them you are actively searching for one)...?

Glad you are off the suboxone!!

And I'm sure you know...but please be careful about taking so many medicines right before bed...especially if more than one has sedation as a side effect....I worry about you!!

I really know how you feel...I was this way for awhile in betweek surgeries 1 and 3...I had some awful Dr.s ...I am so blessed now but it took a few years...

And no worries...vent away on here...I/we just want to help and listen...and thanks for hearing my message to you as it was intended...I truly want people to get the care they need!!...

Hope you can rest this weekend...and glad you got to see your grandkids!!

Take care..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 05-13-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Suboxone isnt just a med for drug addiction, it is also a potent analgesic - it has been used in europe, england, australia and new zealand for many years as a pain med before the use in addiction was discovered.

According to the Australian data sheet for Temgesic, it is an analgiesic with the potency of morphine, yet with an addiction potential similar to that of codeine. Dont write it off just because it is used in addiction, it can be an extremely safe and effective drug for chronic pain as well.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 05-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jonnstar, thanks for the info. My pharmacist told me there was no pain med in suboxone. Do you use it for pain? Does it work for you?

I've been struggling on what to do about pain management. My clinic closed and the thought of starting over with a new PM doc has increased my anxiety greatly. I've already had all the MRI's, 2 in the last 7 months, did PT, heat ice, massage, 3 epidurals at $10,000 each which my insurance only paid 60%. My suboxone cost $150 a week plus the sub doc which all comes to over $750 a month. It's only me as my husband died 4 years ago at the age of 51 from brain cancer. Pain has beaten me down, all I do is go to work and come home and go to bed by 6-7pm. I was on oxycodone 30mg 6x a day and was able to function, play with my grand children and go out at night with my girlfriends. It cost me $10 a month for the meds and $180 for the MD.
I'm at a crossroad and will not have surgery as my sub doc says I need as I would loose my job, insurance etc,
Any advice and thanks for being there.
ZG

Old 05-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

to I lovemycute dog.
Thanks so much for your support. My PM doc gave me the mobic and muscle relax. My sub doc will not give me any thing not even tramadol, which is not a narcotic. I haven't made the appt with my new PM doc. Been crazy off the charts, baby shower last weekend for my youngest daughter. Her friend had it at her house and I was the only person to help, lifting heavy tables and chairs, BIG mistake, spent the next 2 days in bed, probate and selling my dads house who passed away last year May 19th, my best friend in the entire world. No parents. Terrible, and I did a refi on my house. I've always been the go to women and was able to mulitask for years, 36 years as a nurse, which has caused most of my back problems. The 2 falls I had really put me over the edge, so for the past 6-7 years have been in chronic pain.
As I stated above I've had 2 MRIs in the past 7 months, last one in April, which my sub doc told me everyone has herinated discs and spinal stenosis.
What an ***, he just blows me off when I try and tell him how much pain I'm in. Haven't been back to see him. Money is the main factor of why I haven't called a new PM doc. All my records are at the clinic which closed, been there 3 times to see if I can get my records, big note on door, CLOSED, have left 5 messages on the answer machine to request my records. I have copies of the 2 MRIs I've had done and the actual films to take to the doctor, but I can not have surgery. I've worked for the same company for 21 years and have missed alot of work, on thin ice. On FMLA and only have 6 days left until Sept, if I miss more I will be put on perdium, loose my health insurance and all benifits, and no work as it is slow in summer.
Sorry to go on and on.
Thanks for being there.
gratefully
ZG

Old 05-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I dont use suboxone for pain, but i was given Temgesic for pain after surgery (its the same drug, but in lower dose pills, marketed for pain instead of addiction) and it was amazingly good.

In Australia, buprenorphine is marketed in three forsm

_ Temgesic tablets and injection, for releif of pain

-Subutex/Suboxone, high dose pills for addiction issues...... though because they are high dose they are finding a use in severe chronic pain (because 1 suboxone is equal to 10 Temgesic, its a lot more conveniant for a patient to take one Suboxone twice a day than 10 temgesics spread over 12 hours)

-Norspan patches, similar to the fentanyl patches, but the effect lasts for 7 days.

Wikipedia has a good article on buprenorphine

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Jonnstar,, are you telling me there is pain med in suboxone?? I'm so confused about all the info I have read and researched? All of this is so new to me.
I'm having oral surgery on the 27th, implants where they make an incision in the gum line and drill into the jaw bone to connect the implant to the new tooth, I'm really scared, already took the 12 percs they gave me for my back pain. I stopped the suboxone, because I have old pain med and hopefully it will work, then after this I plan to make an appt with PM doc. The suboxone does nothing for the pain. I was on oxycodone 30mg 6x a day for 2 years and was able to live a productive life. The PM clinic I was going to closed, don't know why, so that's when I went on the suboxone to prevent wd so I could work, weaned myself off the suboxone. I'm all screwed up. My pharmacist states there is no pain med in suboxone. Need to do more research.
Any advice??
Thanks for the info.
Peace,
ZG

Last edited by zoiegrace; 05-25-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Hello, is anyone out there anymore??
zg

Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Who ya looking for? I'm out here. *s* How are you doing?

kat

Closed Thread