It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #16
(male)

The Skitz HB User
Re: I am afraid to ask my doctor for a dose increase.

Maybe I am just not very good at being clear about what is going on with me. READ carefully.

I was not given clear instructions on how to take my prescription. My doctor did not say take 1 or 2 or 3. He just wrote the prescription to begin with. I took them as needed. AS NEEDED. It escalated from there. I did not know how much was too much. I figured when people are taking things like morhine for low back problems, taking a few Vicodin was not an issue. It does not even compare. People with less problems then me take worse narcotics then I am given. I am sick of this nonsense. I am sick of seeing fake people taking extreme amounts of narcotics when they have minor pains.

I feel like my insides are being destroyed. Not a single person will take me seriously. All I know is, that my insides are extremely messed up and I am having trouble getting proper help. Others expecting me to just bite the bullet. Telling me to just continue on as if there are no issues. I AM IN PAIN. There used to be a time when someones word meant what was said.

It seems like every time someone has pain everything is a "RED FLAG" Why is it that Narcotics are such an issue, when anyone can just go to the liquor store?

My life is MY life. And I refuse to let misinformed people tell me how it is, when they are not in my shoes.

I am sick of trying to walk on egg shells and watching what I say

Thanks for making me seem like an addict 3red3red. Sorry your ex messed things up for you. I never once was not able to stand up. I never asked for this medication to begin with. If I really wanted to use this for recreation, I would just go buy it. I have family members that know how to get plenty.

There is a reason that I am trying to over explain things. And be clear. It is because I know several people that have major addiction problems. I know what it looks like. I am trying to make it clear that I am aware. And I have seen how people can mistake things when it comes to taking narcotics. All the losers have made it this way for everyone else. I am surrounded by drug addicts and I just want to make sure I dont end up like them. So I am just trying to make it clear for those that I must explain things to. Instead it comes off as a bad sign.

You are not the only person that does not use pain meds too get high.

It was a mistake coming to this site.
Screw it. I will just stop the medication, go through withdrawal and let it all fall apart. Seems life was depressing at the time before, but at least I didnt have to deal with all of this. It was easier. Trying to get help is useless. Thanks for nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Skitz For This Useful Post:
Toonces1 (05-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

dont go away so fast-i told you, dont take what everyone says to heart. i believe you. li believe you are suffering an the medication makes your life more livable. you just need to clarify with your dr how much you are needing to take, honestly-an he will take it from there. if you minimize your symptoms the d r cannot read your mind-so if you are having to take 6 because you are in misery you must tell him so. and remember, this is not the addicction board so no one should be commmenting on addiction on the pain mngt board anyhow. if you are posting here-you are not an addict-many people on this board support you-trust me.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
dont go away so fast-i told you, dont take what everyone says to heart. i believe you. li believe you are suffering an the medication makes your life more livable. you just need to clarify with your dr how much you are needing to take, honestly-an he will take it from there. if you minimize your symptoms the d r cannot read your mind-so if you are having to take 6 because you are in misery you must tell him so. and remember, this is not the addicction board so no one should be commmenting on addiction on the pain mngt board anyhow. if you are posting here-you are not an addict-many people on this board support you-trust me.
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Skitz, your problem is that the whole issue of pain meds have changed. If you had written this 5 years ago, you would have gotten completely different replies. Most people at the beginning of this horrible process called pain management, make mistakes or do things that can look like addiction issues.

You are also young and that is unfortunately a huge disadvantage because everybody assumes you are healthy and don't need the meds, which is ridiculous.

I suffered through my 20's with no doctors believing me and getting patted on the head and shoo'd out the door all the while a rare auto-immune disorder was eating my body alive. If I am lucky, my future holds a double lung transplant that may buy me a year and a half(Right now I am stable so that is a good thing!).

You know your body, you know when there is something wrong. The medical community actually had me almost convinced I was crazy because they couldn't find anything wrong except this symptom and that symptom, etc. But I KNEW something wasn't right and in a big way!

Keep searching and fighting for your right to have a quality of life. Be open and honest and try and make all your appointments and tests;it really helps, especially with validity but most importantly, you want the info, to help find out what's wrong.

As far as the pain meds, you do want to follow the doctors orders. I think it's much better to call after 10 days saying you just can't make it on 2 a day and be able to go in and show the doc that is what you have taken. Rather than go in with a few left. That shows the doc you will follow what he says and that goes a long way with trust.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this stuff so young. Hang in there, you will find out what's wrong!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerluver View Post
Skitz, your problem is that the whole issue of pain meds have changed. If you had written this 5 years ago, you would have gotten completely different replies. Most people at the beginning of this horrible process called pain management, make mistakes or do things that can look like addiction issues.

You are also young and that is unfortunately a huge disadvantage because everybody assumes you are healthy and don't need the meds, which is ridiculous.

I suffered through my 20's with no doctors believing me and getting patted on the head and shoo'd out the door all the while a rare auto-immune disorder was eating my body alive. If I am lucky, my future holds a double lung transplant that may buy me a year and a half(Right now I am stable so that is a good thing!).

You know your body, you know when there is something wrong. The medical community actually had me almost convinced I was crazy because they couldn't find anything wrong except this symptom and that symptom, etc. But I KNEW something wasn't right and in a big way!

Keep searching and fighting for your right to have a quality of life. Be open and honest and try and make all your appointments and tests;it really helps, especially with validity but most importantly, you want the info, to help find out what's wrong.

As far as the pain meds, you do want to follow the doctors orders. I think it's much better to call after 10 days saying you just can't make it on 2 a day and be able to go in and show the doc that is what you have taken. Rather than go in with a few left. That shows the doc you will follow what he says and that goes a long way with trust.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this stuff so young. Hang in there, you will find out what's wrong!
Thank you so much. This makes me feel better. I dont have many people that can relate to me.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Skitz - sorry if some people jumped down your throat on this board. Don't worry about them. You are smart to be aware of the addiction problem and making sure that you separate yourself from that and show your doctor that you are not an addict. Every on here knows somebody who was an opiate addict and made the world worse for all of us. I posted about a dose increase and someone immediately told me I was an addict. This world of chronic pain is so hard.

You know what I did last time I asked for an increase. I just told my doctor straight out that "I know what the problems are with these medications, and I am willing to try everything and anything else that you can help me with to try to help me with with this pain. I want you to know that I am not an addict and I nevr abuse my medications. The reason I am asking for an increase is because the increased pain is affecting me in the following ways: blah, blah blah." or something like that (I'm paraphrasing).

When I first started in pain management I had quite a few months where I got halfway through the month and I had taken 2/3 of my breakthrough pills, which meant I was going to run out. It caused me much mental anguish and anxiety, so I've worked out a pretty good way of managing my monthly prescription. Only once in three years have I had to ask for an early refill. I did it very delicately and brought in how many pills I had left (so they could see I hadn't taken them all or sold them). My doctor took me seriously, and I volunteered to take a drug test that day if it would help show my compliance.

Anyway, good luck and I wish you the best in the tough journey.

The following user gives a hug of support to Toonces1:
The Skitz (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #22
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
Skitz - sorry if some people jumped down your throat on this board. Don't worry about them. You are smart to be aware of the addiction problem and making sure that you separate yourself from that and show your doctor that you are not an addict. Every on here knows somebody who was an opiate addict and made the world worse for all of us. I posted about a dose increase and someone immediately told me I was an addict. This world of chronic pain is so hard.

You know what I did last time I asked for an increase. I just told my doctor straight out that "I know what the problems are with these medications, and I am willing to try everything and anything else that you can help me with to try to help me with with this pain. I want you to know that I am not an addict and I nevr abuse my medications. The reason I am asking for an increase is because the increased pain is affecting me in the following ways: blah, blah blah." or something like that (I'm paraphrasing).

When I first started in pain management I had quite a few months where I got halfway through the month and I had taken 2/3 of my breakthrough pills, which meant I was going to run out. It caused me much mental anguish and anxiety, so I've worked out a pretty good way of managing my monthly prescription. Only once in three years have I had to ask for an early refill. I did it very delicately and brought in how many pills I had left (so they could see I hadn't taken them all or sold them). My doctor took me seriously, and I volunteered to take a drug test that day if it would help show my compliance.

Anyway, good luck and I wish you the best in the tough journey.
Thank you. Your post has touched me the most so far. It just seems that you know exactly what is going on and how I feel. Your words were perfect. Thank you so much. I really feel better, because of you and the few others that support me.

I will take your advice and speak to my doctor in the way that you suggested to me. That seems like what I would say if I was just being myself. Somehow I feel like being myself is a bad idea. I can be very socially abrasive at times. If people are not as bold as I am, then it can cause them to become withdrawn from interaction. Wow that sounds arrogant. I am not trying to be arrogant. I am just being myself. Im sure you know what I am trying to say.

Man I cannot make it clear enough that you have hit the nail right on the head with your words. I appreciate your response.Thanks a great deal.

You deserve a hug.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #23
(male)

steve63 HB User

Skitz,
I'm sorry you feel judged. Pain management with narcotics is a complex deal. Opiate medications alleviate physical pain. But they also alleviate emotional and psychological pain. When people take narcotics to alleviate only psychological pain they are called drug abusers. I think some of the language of your posts has raised some flags that perhaps you are taking pain meds for emotional and psychological reasons, which is why some have reacted harshly to your posts. The only thing I would say to such folks is that chronic physical pain causes emotional and psychological pain. So it's very easy for a person to find that in addition to helping their physical pain, narcotics are also helping them "deal with life" better. Simply admitting that does not automatically make someone a drug abuser. If someone is in pain, they should not be denied pain medications simply for admitting that the meds help them feel better about life. Unless you are taking pain medications when you are NOT in pain, then you are NOT abusing them. I think what has alarmed some folks here is how fast you seem to be building up tolerance to the pain meds. We all know that regular use of pain meds will result in tolerance to both the pain relief and the euphoric side effects. However, tolerance to the euphoria develops much more rapidly than tolerance to the pain relieving effects. That provides one tool doctors have for flagging abusers. Abusers are constantly "chasing the high", and since tolerance to the high develops so quickly, they need to keep seeking dosage increases to feel good. When people are taking pain meds for pain relief only, they will not need to keep seeking dosage increase at a rapid rate once their pain is under control. So any time a person seeks frequent dosage increases of pain meds over a short time period, that does raise a red flag for abuse. Now in your case, it may be that your pain is increasing and/or you have never been given the proper amount of medication to begin with. In that case, you have just been chasing your pain which is why you keep needing a higher dose of pain medication. I think you need to discuss this whole issue with your doctor and ask if he will work with you (or refer you to another doctor) who will get your pain under control. Once that happens, you need to be careful that you don't keep asking for dosage increases. If you keep doing that you will get labeled a drug seeker. Also, make sure you tell your doctors that you are willing to try anything they could offer to help you, including non-narcotic medications, procedures, etc. Also, as others have said, you need to do everything in your power to keep your appointments and show that you are eager to get a diagnosis and hopefully an eventual cure to your ailment. No one has any right to judge you, although please don't ignore the advice you have been given. You may not be doing anything wrong, but you have exhibited some of the warning signs of abuse. That does NOT mean you are an abuser. It just means you have exhibited some signs that make you look like a potential abuser. So rather than get angry at those judging you, you should take their warnings as wake up call to be more careful about how you approach this whole pain management thing. I would hate to see you jeopardize your chances of future pain relief because you made a few careless mistakes. If you are in pain, you deserve to be helped and if narcotics are the only thing that will help you have a right to seek them. You just need to be aware of how suspicious doctors need to be nowadays because of concerns about being investigated by the DEA. Sometimes that even means putting up with a little suffering once in a while if it helps avoid looking like a drug seeker. I remember once I ran out of Percocet a week early. I was in pain and I had to make a choice.....call the doctor and ask for an early refill (and risk looking like a drug seeker) or wait it out for a week. I decided to wait it out. Yes, I suffered a little bit but I didn't want to look bad (I was less then a year into PM and didn't know how much my doc trusted me yet). Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling but I feel bad that you feel so judged by many here. On the other hand, please understand that many here are just trying to help you understand how careful you need to be with this PM business. At your age, you don't want a black mark on your medical history for the rest of your life just because some doctor came to the false conclusion you were a drug seeker. I do hope you are able to find the source of your pain as well as the relief from it that you deserve.

Steve

Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #24
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve63 View Post
Skitz,
I'm sorry you feel judged. Pain management with narcotics is a complex deal. Opiate medications alleviate physical pain. But they also alleviate emotional and psychological pain. When people take narcotics to alleviate only psychological pain they are called drug abusers. I think some of the language of your posts has raised some flags that perhaps you are taking pain meds for emotional and psychological reasons, which is why some have reacted harshly to your posts. The only thing I would say to such folks is that chronic physical pain causes emotional and psychological pain. So it's very easy for a person to find that in addition to helping their physical pain, narcotics are also helping them "deal with life" better. Simply admitting that does not automatically make someone a drug abuser. If someone is in pain, they should not be denied pain medications simply for admitting that the meds help them feel better about life. Unless you are taking pain medications when you are NOT in pain, then you are NOT abusing them. I think what has alarmed some folks here is how fast you seem to be building up tolerance to the pain meds. We all know that regular use of pain meds will result in tolerance to both the pain relief and the euphoric side effects. However, tolerance to the euphoria develops much more rapidly than tolerance to the pain relieving effects. That provides one tool doctors have for flagging abusers. Abusers are constantly "chasing the high", and since tolerance to the high develops so quickly, they need to keep seeking dosage increases to feel good. When people are taking pain meds for pain relief only, they will not need to keep seeking dosage increase at a rapid rate once their pain is under control. So any time a person seeks frequent dosage increases of pain meds over a short time period, that does raise a red flag for abuse. Now in your case, it may be that your pain is increasing and/or you have never been given the proper amount of medication to begin with. In that case, you have just been chasing your pain which is why you keep needing a higher dose of pain medication. I think you need to discuss this whole issue with your doctor and ask if he will work with you (or refer you to another doctor) who will get your pain under control. Once that happens, you need to be careful that you don't keep asking for dosage increases. If you keep doing that you will get labeled a drug seeker. Also, make sure you tell your doctors that you are willing to try anything they could offer to help you, including non-narcotic medications, procedures, etc. Also, as others have said, you need to do everything in your power to keep your appointments and show that you are eager to get a diagnosis and hopefully an eventual cure to your ailment. No one has any right to judge you, although please don't ignore the advice you have been given. You may not be doing anything wrong, but you have exhibited some of the warning signs of abuse. That does NOT mean you are an abuser. It just means you have exhibited some signs that make you look like a potential abuser. So rather than get angry at those judging you, you should take their warnings as wake up call to be more careful about how you approach this whole pain management thing. I would hate to see you jeopardize your chances of future pain relief because you made a few careless mistakes. If you are in pain, you deserve to be helped and if narcotics are the only thing that will help you have a right to seek them. You just need to be aware of how suspicious doctors need to be nowadays because of concerns about being investigated by the DEA. Sometimes that even means putting up with a little suffering once in a while if it helps avoid looking like a drug seeker. I remember once I ran out of Percocet a week early. I was in pain and I had to make a choice.....call the doctor and ask for an early refill (and risk looking like a drug seeker) or wait it out for a week. I decided to wait it out. Yes, I suffered a little bit but I didn't want to look bad (I was less then a year into PM and didn't know how much my doc trusted me yet). Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling but I feel bad that you feel so judged by many here. On the other hand, please understand that many here are just trying to help you understand how careful you need to be with this PM business. At your age, you don't want a black mark on your medical history for the rest of your life just because some doctor came to the false conclusion you were a drug seeker. I do hope you are able to find the source of your pain as well as the relief from it that you deserve.

Steve
Wow thank you.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #25
(female)

carscheles HB User

I really do believe that you are using the pain medication to relieve the pain. But you might be close to the end of your pain medication supply. Most doctors prescribe a small amount for acute pain to get you through until you get to a specialist.

I really believe you should be scrambling to get into the gastro office for an appointment ASAP - even if that means calling numerous gastro docs till you find one that can take you in right away.

Your primary doctor will probably want to turn over your care to a specialist and stop writing pain medication scripts for you in the very near future. I think you should move fast on that gastro appointment.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #26
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscheles View Post
I really do believe that you are using the pain medication to relieve the pain. But you might be close to the end of your pain medication supply. Most doctors prescribe a small amount for acute pain to get you through until you get to a specialist.

I really believe you should be scrambling to get into the gastro office for an appointment ASAP - even if that means calling numerous gastro docs till you find one that can take you in right away.

Your primary doctor will probably want to turn over your care to a specialist and stop writing pain medication scripts for you in the very near future. I think you should move fast on that gastro appointment.
My Primary's office also specializes in pain management. I have my Colonoscopy rescheduled for the 23rd of this month. That is the best I could do. My doctor is supposed to call me back today. The nurse seems to think that he will have me swing in and briefly talk with him. So I will see what happens then.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I was not judging in anyway shape or form...I am trying to help based on being in PM for over 9 years and what will raise red flags to Drs...

My whole post was to KEEP you getting treated by Dr.s and getting the help you need...but showing you that by some of things you are doing....how it will look to the Drs....

The last thing anyone wants is to be blacklisted by their Dr. and cut off from all their meds...

You mentioned that the Dr. specifically said this last time to get by on 2 a day....that is why I was saying you need to follow those orders OR call him and tell him that it is not working and ASK if you can take more..

I know you are new to pain mgmt....but most Dr.s perscribe medicine for a 30 day supply...so the 'as needed' is meant to last that time frame...

Again...I am also friends with my PM and have gotten so much information from him on what they have to deal with each day so I am trying to help others on things to look out for...

And I also mentioned that you need to find a PM Dr. to prescribe these meds as the type you are seeing don't do this long term...

You can take or leave what I or anyone else says...but I was not saying that you don't need your medication....I was also trying to give other ways in addition to meds to help with your pain if this is going to be long term...

Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
I was not judging in anyway shape or form...I am trying to help based on being in PM for over 9 years and what will raise red flags to Drs...

My whole post was to KEEP you getting treated by Dr.s and getting the help you need...but showing you that by some of things you are doing....how it will look to the Drs....

The last thing anyone wants is to be blacklisted by their Dr. and cut off from all their meds...

You mentioned that the Dr. specifically said this last time to get by on 2 a day....that is why I was saying you need to follow those orders OR call him and tell him that it is not working and ASK if you can take more..

I know you are new to pain mgmt....but most Dr.s perscribe medicine for a 30 day supply...so the 'as needed' is meant to last that time frame...

Again...I am also friends with my PM and have gotten so much information from him on what they have to deal with each day so I am trying to help others on things to look out for...

And I also mentioned that you need to find a PM Dr. to prescribe these meds as the type you are seeing don't do this long term...

You can take or leave what I or anyone else says...but I was not saying that you don't need your medication....I was also trying to give other ways in addition to meds to help with your pain if this is going to be long term...
Sadly it seems that my doctor has trouble remembering things. He has to go over everything with me each time I go in. Its as if he has no memory of what was said at my last appointment. He also will ask me something and forget what I said 3 minutes later. I think maybe he has trouble listening when he is trying to think. Its odd. He asked me how many I was taking. Then asked me again 3 minutes later. Then he wrote a script for 90 (3 a day). Then he decided void it out and change it to 70. A little over 2 a day. I thought it was odd that he wanted me to go down from 4 to 2. Considering there would already be a tolerance. I already told him I was having trouble with 4 a day. Its my thought that he should have had me go down to 3 a day at the bare minimum. I assumed he would just ask me to try and keep it at 4 a day. I somewhat think he gets confused a lot. But I also think he may be just trying to make sure my usage of the prescription doesnt get out of hand.

So thats the situation with him. I dont know what to do. I cant be certain if hes really forgetful, or if he is just trying to help me to not over use. I guess I could just ask him, but I dont want to offend him by implying that he has a memory problem. He is nearing the end of his career I would imagine.

But he is the best doctor I have had. He prides himself on talking to his patients. And listening to their feelings and troubles. Even says so right on his bio for the clinic website.

Like I said though, I will talk to him today. So I will see what happens I guess.

Last edited by The Skitz; 05-16-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I would just ask him to write everything down for you to have so you can be sure and follow things on your end...that way he will think it's for you and not his memory...that way you will be covered..

Hopefully if you explain to him about the quality of your life being affected and the 2-3 a day are just not working to even get simple tasks done...As well as for him to know you are working on getting the testing and diagnosis from a Gastro doc asap...hopefully he will help you out in the meantime..

Good luck and keep us posted...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #30
(female)

MindBodyDiscord HB User

BBO7 - I was reading this thread and noticed you asked is the OP suffered chronic ear infections as a child.
Why did you ask this?
Thanks,.

Closed Thread