It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: I am afraid to ask my doctor for a dose increase.

the reason i asked about the ear inf as a child-there is this connection between chronic ear inf and the long term use of antibiotics in children/babies-later on developing gastro related and terrible symptoms-as the young man who started this thread describes-THERE is a doctor who practices and studies natural medicines and treatments and made this cconnection about children/babies who suffered chronic ear infections and were given oral anti-biotics-later as adults suffering severe gastro problems and he has solutions-if you can find him-as you can see moderator wont let me tell who it is-i did not try to post any website as i know this site wont allow; only to tell you too look under these types of doctors and you may find him

Last edited by BB07; 05-18-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #32
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

Hey there just wanted to let you know at least from MY point of view we ARE your friends on this board and we are NOT here to pass judgment only to offer support and pass on our advice and love.When i first found this board i was an UNBEILEVEABLE HOT MESS and i can't believe just HOW much and HOW many people reached out to me.I can tell you from FIRST-HAND experience because i worked side by side with a gastroenterologist before i became disabled and they do NOT give pain medication to take home with you for after the procedure.They will put you in the "twilight zone" to do the procedure so that you won't feel anything nor will you remember anything. PLEASE let me know if i can help you in the future.I would really like to talk to you and see how you are doing.Until Next Time TAKE CARE!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #33
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Ok guys. I saw my Primary Physician. I just simply explained my situation. He upped my dosage from 1 tablet 5-500 Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen twice a day, to 1 7.5-500 Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 4 times a day.

I did not even ask for a dose increase. He had decided this before I even had a chance to ask.

He has given me a 10 day supply for now. This is because I have my colonoscopy monday morning and he also wants to see how things are going on this dosage. Then we are going to go from there. I was so worried and in the end everything worked out fine. I plan to try and maintain this dosage for a long time. From reading your responses, I see that I need to handle myself better.

This is not to just totally block out my pain. Its is only one factor in managing my pain. There are other options I can use to try and aleviate any excess pain. I am going to try heating pads. I also am going to try and better monitor my diet. Then I can see if there any foods that may worsen my symptoms. Then I will adjust my diet accordingly.

Like I said my colonoscopy is Monday. I am pretty worried about it, but I am just going to push through this. After all this is for my own good. Any advice that you may have, that can help me not be so worried about my procedure would be great. I will let you know how it went.

Thank you all so much for your support and constructive criticism. I am sorry for being so defensive. After the past few days, I can now see that I need to take this much more seriously. This is not something to be taken lightly.

Be well.

Last edited by The Skitz; 05-20-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #34
(male)

steve63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skitz View Post
Ok guys. I saw my Primary Physician. I just simply explained my situation. He upped my dosage from 1 tablet 5-500 Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen twice a day, to 1 7.5-500 Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 4 times a day.

I did not even ask for a dose increase. He had decided this before I even had a chance to ask.

He has given me a 10 day supply for now. This is because I have my colonoscopy monday morning and he also wants to see how things are going on this dosage. Then we are going to go from there. I was so worried and in the end everything worked out fine. I plan to try and maintain this dosage for a long time. From reading your responses, I see that I need to handle myself better.

This is not to just totally block out my pain. Its is only one factor in managing my pain. There are other options I can use to try and aleviate any excess pain. I am going to try heating pads. I also am going to try and better monitor my diet. Then I can see if there any foods that may worsen my symptoms. Then I will adjust my diet accordingly.

Like I said my colonoscopy is Monday. I am pretty worried about it, but I am just going to push through this. After all this is for my own good. Any advice that you may have, that can help me not be so worried about my procedure would be great. I will let you know how it went.

Thank you all so much for your support and constructive criticism. I am sorry for being so defensive. After the past few days, I can now see that I need to take this much more seriously. This is not something to be taken lightly.

Be well.
Skitz,
Don't worry about the procedure. The worst part is the prep. I assume you will be heavily sedated for the procedure itself. I had a colonoscopy several years ago and it was no big deal. I was half asleep through it all and there was no pain or discomfort whatsoever. I have another one coming up in June and I'n not worried about it at all.

I'm glad to hear your doctor is willing to help you with pain meds. I think you realize now how important it is that you discipline yourself to take the meds carefully so you don't run out early. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Glad to hear that things went well with the appt!...That sounds like a good increase in meds both upping the strength and the amount per day and hopefully will help....

I space my medicine out through the day to provide even relief...this way there is less up/down with the pain...

Try not to worry too much about the colonoscopy...Whatever the results will be...you and your Dr. will handle it and come up with a plan..The worst part is actually the night before and having to drink all the stuff to 'clear out'....that's the not fun part!..So just plan for a long night with this near the bathroom..

The test itself is no biggie. They give you medicine to relax at first, and then they give you 'twilight' medicine...this is where you won't remember a single thing from the procedure...but you aren't put all the way out like in a major surgery...again...no worries as you won't be in any pain..

I just took my mom to get hers done last month...and I have had one done as well...

I hope that you can have a good weekend resting up...I'm glad that you realize that most of us were really trying to help you and want to see you in as little pain as possible..and that you can also use those other 'tools' to assist in that process...That medicine is just one piece of the puzzle..

I personally use tv as one of my tools as I get lost in a great show or movie or something so funny that I get to 'forget' about my pain for a tiny amount of time

Thanks for updating us and pop back in when you feel up to on Monday to let us know how everything went!...We are rooting for you!!

Old 05-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

If you need a pain med regularly, then ER Tramadol (300mg per day) plus Mobic (15mg per day) would give as good or better pain coverage as 7,5mg hydrocodone 4 times a day without the ups and downs in releif, and with almost no risk of dependence/addiction.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 05-20-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #37
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hey, not sure why your so concerned about the colonoscopy, you've had one before as you stated in your first post, I believe. But regardless, this is not somthing that you need to sit around worrying about. As long as you do the prep kit the day before as directed, using all of it completely, It should go fine. When you get their they'll put you under light sedation known as "twilight sleep" so that you won't feel the procedure or be conscious of what's going on around you, but it wears off much quicker than general anesthetic. You usually have to hang around for 30 minutes to and hour depending on the Dr. and then you go home. *lol* The worst part is that you'll most likely have uncontrollable gas for most of that day.

But you've done it before so it shouldn't be a big deal, definitely not worrying about so much. )

Kat

Old 05-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #38
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Hey, not sure why your so concerned about the colonoscopy, you've had one before as you stated in your first post, I believe. But regardless, this is not somthing that you need to sit around worrying about. As long as you do the prep kit the day before as directed, using all of it completely, It should go fine. When you get their they'll put you under light sedation known as "twilight sleep" so that you won't feel the procedure or be conscious of what's going on around you, but it wears off much quicker than general anesthetic. You usually have to hang around for 30 minutes to and hour depending on the Dr. and then you go home. *lol* The worst part is that you'll most likely have uncontrollable gas for most of that day.

But you've done it before so it shouldn't be a big deal, definitely not worrying about so much. )

Kat
I felt some discomfort last time. There were some brief periods where I felt too much pressure from the air. Did not like that very much at all. The GI said, he was surprised that I even recall that it happened.

I tend to fight passing out. I feel anxiety about dosing off uncontrolably and adrenaline kicks in. I am not sure why, it just frightens me when I start to lose consiousness for some reason. So I was more alert then a normal person I think. Like if I am extremely exhausted and cant stay awake. For some odd reason it freaks me out. I have sleep anxiety issues. There can be absolutey nothing wrong with me, then I start to fall asleep and I just suddenly jump up in a panic. This does not happen all the time though. So the idea of adding heavy anesthesia to that always freaks me out even more.

Its rediculous, I know.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #39
(female)

3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User

good luck for your procedure on Monday; hopefully the GI will be able to get to the root of the problem.

I'd like to apologize for starting the whole addict bandwagon, joined by others, with my first response; I was trying to say your rather lengthy post had a lot of flags reminding me of my late husband. I never meant to say, or imply, that you yourself were an addict. My advice, be true to your physician and true to yourself, remains on point. From someone who has been a CP for a long time to someone just climbing aboard, joining our little exclusive club has strict rules. We constantly must be on our toes, never too close to the edge and always taking the upmost in care, not fall between the cracks. I'm not sure why it is this way for us, I'm sure partly because of the DEA (and their silly rulebook), and the other part from physician(s) hysteria; whatever, CP's have to walk the very straight and narrow road.......sad, it should be enough for us to deal with constant pain. Anyway, point of this post and to clear the air, I didn't mean to imply you were using Vicodin to "be happy".....I was just saying, at times it did sound that way. For someone like me, I've heard all the stories.....I'm the first to admit, sometimes the past clouds my view of things and for that, I'm sorry to you if I created bad feelings between us...jamie

Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #40
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

I would mention to your doc on Monday what happened with the last one, that you were "too awake" and had recall of discomfort and ask them to give you more meds to deepen the twilight sleep. It won't be great for your sleep problems...but the procedure goes a whole lot better if your not conscious during it.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #41
(male)

Dan101 HB User

Hi mate, mabey you may feel a bit better (relativly) after reading my post? "Help! I've been kicked off my pain meds..". Don't think i am giving you a hard time or anything but what has happened to me and others i'm sure is really horrible.. Anyway I don't know how bad your pain is but I think it's all relative, like a lot of things.. Anyway If you or anyone reading this can help me with any advice I would be VERY grateful/relieved..
Thanx

Closed Thread