It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
(male)

The Skitz HB User
Unhappy I am afraid to ask my doctor for a dose increase.

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read. I am new to this site. I am a 24 year old male. I have an undiagnosed digestive condition. And I also have a very bad sinus problem. I get sinus pressure that is so bad, that I get headaches that are debilitating. I cannot function what so ever when this is going on. My headaches are related to my digestive problem. Although I dont know how its possible. I only get sinus headaches when I am having digestive problems. It is an odd pattern. I eat, then 20 to 30 minutes afterwords, I develop bloating, pain and a great deal of discomfort. Then after that happens, my sinus pressure begins and I develop headaches.

I am seeking treatment from my Primary doctor. My doctor and I dont have a whole lot of history. He does know me pretty well though. I first came to him specifically for my sinus headache problem. He prescribed everything under the sun for my sinus congestion. Nothing ever worked. He then decided to just give me 30 5mg hydrocodone for my headaches as needed. I had not seen him for a while after that. The 30 hydrocodone lasted me a long time. They lasted around a month and a half. Then my insurance lapsed. So I could not afford to see him anymore.

In the time that had gone by, I had developed my bowel problem. After it persisting for about 6 months and developing chronic pain from this digestion issue, I returned to see him. I had on and off digestive issues for about 3 years before this. I was always much too embarassed to talk about it. I had told him all of my problems. He was ok with prescribing me another 30 5mg hydrocodone. He also referred me to a Gastroenterologist. My appointment was for 30 days from the day I was referred. I returned for a refill about 3 weeks later. He gave me another 30 vicodin. I went through that bottle in about 10 days. I was taking 2 or 3 a day. I was never told to stick to a specific amount. He just said take them when I need them. I got one more prescription for 30 about 7 days after the last refill. I saw the GI. My GI decided to go ahead and schedule a Colonoscopy. I had to wait to do that. So I returned to my primary doctor again. I told him what went on at my Gi appointment. I also told him about how many I was taking, and that I felt that I would like enough to get through a solid month. He ended up writing me a prescription for 90 hydrocodone. Same dose 5mg.

Halfway through my bottle of 90 pills, I started to notice that they were not doing the job very well. I then needed to take more of them each day. I was taking 5 or 6 a day. To me that was too many. You see in the time that was going by, all sorts of great things were happening for me. I started going to the gym. I have been getting into amazing shape. I have never been In better shape. I also am about to start a job as a Personal Care Assistant. I have been seeing an old flame. Her and I are getting serious. I have become very social with friends and family that I have not seen in a long time. Some I havent seen in 3 years. I am enrolling in business school. Before being able to manage this pain, I was always in bed. My father was supporting me, because holding a job was too difficult. I was too depressed to do anything social. It just made everything in life much too hard. Some people dont realize the severity of my abdominal pain from digestion or sinus headaches. So now I have seen nothing but positive things happening for me. There has only been one negative. Its the fact that I need to lean on this medication to get by. To me it seems, that the good things are out weighing the bad.

So here is what my issue is now. I had a colonoscopy scheduled on the 11th. I went in for a refill. Also told my doc about the colonoscopy. I decided to be as honest as I could with my doctor. Explained all the good things happening for me. Told him how these meds were helping me cope. I also explained how consious I was about the dependency, how dangerous it could be. I also told him frankly that I was a little worried about becoming a major addict. Mentioned that I wanted to be safe about this. He was proud of how honest I was. He told me he needed to congratulate me for being aware. He then told me how rare it was to be so consious of all of this. He then said he is confident that I can handle using these to manage my pain and my life. He said hes not worried about me at all. I should have told him, that I was taking 5-6 of these things a day. But I was worried about how he would react. So I told him I was up to only 4 a day. So he wrote me a prescription. It was only for 90. For that to last a month, I would need to cut my usage in half. He was about to sign his name, then he stopped. He then preceded to ask me if I was sure that I needed 90 of them. I told him he gave me 90 before and I was taking 4 a day. I asked how that would be enough. He said " Im wondering if you can get by on 2 a day." Immediately my heart sank. I did not want to challenge him. So he ended up giving me only 70 of them. So now he wants me to try and only take 2 a day? I left the clinic with my 70 pills.

I failed horribly at getting by on 2 a day. Now I have only 6 left. It has only been 11 days since the prescription was filled. My ride to the colonoscopy (my uncle) flaked on me last minute. I am glad he told me before my prep. That would have sucked. So now I need more pills. I missed my Colonoscopy. It has not been enough time since it was filled. I do not have a contract or anything. I dont have urine analysis.

I am scared to death to ask him for more. And I dont know how to tell him that I need a higher dosage. Taking all of this Acetaminophen is not good. I also have to tell him that I missed my Colonoscopy appointment. Dont think he will like that. I have it rescheduled though. I also have a more resonsible person(my father)to bring me to my colonoscopy. I do not want to lose my doctors trust. I also dont want him to send me out the door. I have experienced a small taste of withdrawal before. I absolutely do not want to go through that. I have heard that it is terrible. I dont want all the positive things that have been happening to stop. I know everything will become too difficult again. The fact that the bad apples have made things this way for everyone, is unfair. We should not have to feel like this. I should be able to talk to my doctor with confidence. Instead I have to walk on egg shells. I am usually a bold person. If I were to be myself, I would seem too confident. Then it would be a red flag for doctors. I hate this. I just want to have enough pain medication, and go on with my life without so much worry. I have plenty of other issues to wotty about.

The fact that the bad apples have made things this way for everyone, is unfair. We should not have to feel like this. I should be able to talk to my doctor with confidence. Instead, I am supposed to try end twist things around so that I dont seem like some sort of seeker. I hate having to walk on egg shells all the time. I am usually a bold person. If I were to be myself, I would seem too confident. Then it would be a red flag for doctors. I hate this. I just want to have enough pain medication, and go on with my life without so much worry. I have plenty of other issues to worry about.

What should I do? Could anyone please help me with advice? I need insight on how to deal with my situation. Any tips on how to talk to my doctor about this would be very helpful. Like I said, I am scared to death. Scared of upsetting him. Scared of going through withdrawal. Scared of losing all the good things that have been happening for me.

I might have gave more info then needed. I just want things to be clear. Any further questions, feel free to ask. Thank so much you for reading.

Last edited by The Skitz; 05-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
(female)

3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User
Re: I am afraid to ask my doctor for a dose increase.

wow...you are kidding, right?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3red3red View Post
wow...you are kidding, right?
I should have expected this. I dont understand what your issue is.

Why would you ask me this? I am genuinely asking for advice. Your other posts seem so kind and heart felt.

Last edited by The Skitz; 05-12-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
(female)

3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User

I was, at one time, married to an addict and in reading your post, I was reminded of how he used to justify his need for pain meds. You are 24, about the same age as he was when I met him; I don't know that he ever had anything really wrong with him other than "everything" seemed better with hydrocodone. For him, it became really easy to slide into the family doctor's office, exaggerate some nonspecific and undiagnosed condition, and ask for just a few more pills - you know to get him through until next month when his insurance kicked in or his new job started. He became really adept in asking for a particular drug or even a specific amount of that drug, "just enough" to hold him until his next appointment. I can still almost hear him saying he had only done a few pills that day even though I'd already found the empty bottle and of course he couldn't stand up by then. I can quote you verbatim his speech on how much he was concerned about becoming an addict; at the same time, he always asked for more. If I confused your post with his past, I'm sorry.....but even at this late hour, you have to see why I would be so.

My advice - be honest with your doctor and be honest with yourself.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3red3red View Post
I was, at one time, married to an addict and in reading your post, I was reminded of how he used to justify his need for pain meds. You are 24, about the same age as he was when I met him; I don't know that he ever had anything really wrong with him other than "everything" seemed better with hydrocodone. For him, it became really easy to slide into the family doctor's office, exaggerate some nonspecific and undiagnosed condition, and ask for just a few more pills - you know to get him through until next month when his insurance kicked in or his new job started. He became really adept in asking for a particular drug or even a specific amount of that drug, "just enough" to hold him until his next appointment. I can still almost hear him saying he had only done a few pills that day even though I'd already found the empty bottle and of course he couldn't stand up by then. I can quote you verbatim his speech on how much he was concerned about becoming an addict; at the same time, he always asked for more. If I confused your post with his past, I'm sorry.....but even at this late hour, you have to see why I would be so.

My advice - be honest with your doctor and be honest with yourself.
First off, let me say as far as the hour goes, I have always been a night person. Its just who I am. I have worked 3rd shift jobs since I finished high school. Once as a press operator, then another time as a CNC machinist. Its always been difficult to get out of this sleep schedule. It just feels natural to me. I dont see the big deal.

I think its unfair to lump me into that category. My father was an alcoholic. And I know of 2 relatives that are pain med addicts. So the reason I express my worries about addiction, is because I dont want to end up like them. I see them nodding off all the time. Slurring their words. They also have wronged many of my family members. Many bridges were burned.

All I am saying is, I am well aware of the dangers. I mean I dont even drink or smoke.

The reason why so many things are better, is because they truly are. I have been very secluded for 3 years now. I have not been out very much at all in 3 years. I became very depressed. Things were not working for me before I started to develop health issues. I was not having very much luck socially. I also have had a few failed relationships. Everyone around me, friends and family, seemed to have better luck then I did. That eventually weighed on me very much. I guess you could say I had a nervous breakdown. What started as a little time alone, developed in total seclusion. It escalated. Depression got the best of me. I never left home for anything at all. After becoming someone who didnt even want to get out bed, I eventually got the urge to change things. But I wasnt working all that time, and my job history looked bad. It was hard to find work and crawl out of this hole that I had created. All I want to do is improve my life. Somewhere along the line I started getting on and off digestive troubles and sinus headaches. It started out as a minor thing. Now it has crippled every aspect of my life. I dont know what caused this. The only thing that makes any sense is that I did 2 6 month sessions of Accutane for severe cystic acne. After doing research it turns out that many people have developed Inflammatory Bowel Disease after taking Accutane. I am not saying that is what it is, I am just saying its possible. There were no warnings about it until years later. Now it is considered a major problem with past Accutane patients. I may not have a diagnoses, but My GI seems to think that it could be Inflammatory Bowel Disease. He also said its very hard to diagnose. So its taking time. I have had 1 Colonoscopy, an MRI and an Ultrasound. That didnt reveal much. All I know is that he said my colon looks abnormal. He had told me it could take time for IBD to reveal itself. That is why I am having another Colonoscopy now. It will be my second time having it done.

Although I dont know why any of this is relevant to needing advice on how to talk to your doctor about an increase in tolerance. I should not have even needed to explain all that. I am not justfying why I need meds. Saying those things was just to clear up why I am so positive about changes in my life.

I am just trying to remain positive during all of this. I was negative about everything for so very long. I am trying to improve my life. Thats all. Taking pain meds has allowed me to put my health issues in the back of my mind, so that I can focus on becoming independant an fixing my life. If you were secluded in your bedroom, never talking to friends or family, Feeling totally miserable, day in and out for 3 years solid, you might be a little happy about the changes in your life as well. Things are just working out very well and I dont want it to return to the way it was before. I will never go back to that lifestyle. I am sure you already can relate to depression somewhat, if you experience chronic pain. And I am positive you know plenty about chronic pain.

I am hoping that my medical team is able to make sense of these issues, then diagnose me. After that they can figure out the appropriate treatment. Once that happens. I will do whatever it takes to taper off of pain medication. I am only 24, I dont want to be on these meds forever. I just want the good that is happening in my life to continue.

I dont see anything wrong with that. I was under the assumption that most people on these boards would be supportive. I dont get much support elsewhere.

Last edited by The Skitz; 05-13-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
(female)

carscheles HB User

The very first thing that came to my mind when reading your post is food allergies. Have you been tested for allergies? Are you lactose intolerant?

I think that you missing the colonoscopy appointment is going to make you look bad to your doctor. If I were in your shoes, I would beg the gastro doctor to make a new appointment very quick. I would tell his/her office about how much pain you're in and that you're desperate to get seen right away. I would not ask for more pain medication until after I went for the colonoscopy - so I would certainly try to get in right away.

Good luck

Old 05-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

maybe if you put all down in a letter to him marked personal and confidential, it will be easier to be more "honest" with him, share everything you have told us here and i think he will understand where you are coming from-tell him you thought by writing a letter you would feel less intimidated, not wanting him to lose faith in you and that your illness is genuine and the medication has given you back your life-tell him how much you are really needing to take and what can he suggest so you can get good managable relief. thats probably what i would do because i know when your face to face with your doctor, sometimes things feel a little rushed and you dont always say what you really meant to say-so put it in a letter to him-i think he will appreciate it and see the sincerity. best wishes

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
Joybird941 (06-24-2012)
Old 05-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
maybe if you put all down in a letter to him marked personal and confidential, it will be easier to be more "honest" with him, share everything you have told us here and i think he will understand where you are coming from-tell him you thought by writing a letter you would feel less intimidated, not wanting him to lose faith in you and that your illness is genuine and the medication has given you back your life-tell him how much you are really needing to take and what can he suggest so you can get good managable relief. thats probably what i would do because i know when your face to face with your doctor, sometimes things feel a little rushed and you dont always say what you really meant to say-so put it in a letter to him-i think he will appreciate it and see the sincerity. best wishes
ps-i was wondering, as a baby/child did u suffer from chronic ear infections?
also, dont take everything you read to heart, alot is irrelevant to your issues

Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Have they ruled out issues with your Gallbladder or Pancreas? Trouble with both of these organs have symptoms after eating as you mentioned.

And as far as the sinus issues...Narcotics are usually never prescribed for this...

You are too young to realize that even just 20 years ago...these type of medicines were never prescribed for pain unless in the ER or hospital.

In all honesty here...but the big red flag is that you lied to your Dr...this is one of the first signs of 'possibly' becoming addicted to medication...

Those of us on here have suffered from pain for years and years in Pain Management....and the goal of medication is to help relieve SOME of the pain...not all....and that's it....

It's not to make us 'cope' better...

We aren't trying to attack you...we are trying to help...

If you..or I are given narcotics...you HAVE to follow the instructions the Dr. gives you...Period....Don't pass go...So when the Dr. said that you should only take 2 a day...this is what you need to do UNTIL he says otherwise and you have gotten a different type of instructions from him if he decided to up the dosage...

As well as missing your Colonoscopy...this also is a red flag to the Dr.s that you are only wanting the medication...and not any testing...

If you have to take a taxi...a bus...whatever..you need to keep those appts...

So that is where are concern is...you are taking matters into your own hands and taking more than you should...and then lying to your Dr. about it....This can get you into huge trouble with him...and then possibly put a mark in your records so that you aren't given any narcotics in the future...

I live with a pain level of 5-7 every day....but I have chronic pain from 3 cervical fusion surgeries....

You are at the stage with your Dr.s of still diagnosing you and figuring out what is wrong..

Also...narcotics are notorious for causing bowel issues so that is something that normally a Gastro won't prescribe in the future if you get diagnosed with something like IBS, etc...

The Dr. you are seeing is not a pain management Dr...you are not at that stage yet and hopefully will not have to be....So your Dr. is already risking a lot by prescribing narcotics for these few months...

They were only meant to be a temporary help...to use from time to time...to help with the most severe days...

You are taking the medication and then trying to live like a 'regular' 24 year old...that isn't the purpose of the meds..

If you are depressed....(which a lot of us in pain can become)..then you need a anti-depression medication....as well as working with a therapist to help deal with this right now....the Vicoden is not meant to 'improve your mood'..

This is where we are trying to warn you that you are on a slippery slope that needs to stop now...and reverse course...

Unless you have a life threatening disease or pain episode....you or I are not going to 'die' from our pain...we can't just take our meds to make it go away...

A narcotic is just one small tool in the toolbox to help with pain...

You are making your tolerance skyrocket...not the medicine...because you are taking so much more than ordered and doubling...tripiling your doses so quickly.....

The thing to do now is take the medicine EXACTLY as directed....be COMPLETELY honest with your Dr. from here on out....and use all the other methods of pain relief from eating well and healthy foods, getting good rest, SLOWING down your activities for the time being...see a therapist to get on an antidepressant if needed...

I hope that you can get a diagnosis soon and that it's an issue that can be fixed..

I wish you luck..

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
The Skitz (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
Have they ruled out issues with your Gallbladder or Pancreas? Trouble with both of these organs have symptoms after eating as you mentioned.

And as far as the sinus issues...Narcotics are usually never prescribed for this...

In all honesty here...but the big red flag is that you lied to your Dr...this is one of the first signs of 'possibly' becoming addicted to medication...

As well as missing your Colonoscopy...this also is a red flag to the Dr.s that you are only wanting the medication...and not any testing...

If you have to take a taxi...a bus...whatever..you need to keep those appts...

Also...narcotics are notorious for causing bowel issues so that is something that normally a Gastro won't prescribe in the future if you get diagnosed with something like IBS, etc...

You are taking the medication and then trying to live like a 'regular' 24 year old...that isn't the purpose of the meds..

If you are depressed....(which a lot of us in pain can become)..then you need a anti-depression medication....as well as working with a therapist to help deal with this right now....the Vicoden is not meant to 'improve your mood'..

This is where we are trying to warn you that you are on a slippery slope that needs to stop now...and reverse course...

I hope that you can get a diagnosis soon and that it's an issue that can be fixed..

I wish you luck..

I know its unorthodox to recieve narcotics for sinus pain. There is something much more serious afoot though. I dont have allergies. Somehow I only get this sinus pain and pressure when digestive discomfort is present. Dont know why. It is strange.

I am very aware how bad missing the colonoscopy seems. I dont have very many responsible people in my life. The endoscopy center told me that I need to have someone drive me. They said I cannot take a taxi or bus. They said I would need to reschedule if I dont have someone I know with me. Its their policy.

IBD is not to be confused with IBS. IBD is much more serious then IBS. IBS is a syndrome. IBD is a disease. Also Narcotic pain meds cause mainly constipation, where as constipation is not a symptom of mine. If so it is very rare. To be honest, when I have constipation, it seems more like a nice break rather then a problem. Also it is very common for IBD sufferers to take narcotics for pain. Flares can last years at a time. I am fairly certain I am having a flair right now. If so, I hope it does not last that long though. The sooner it stops the better.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease is either Uclerative colitis or Crohns Disease. Irritable Bowel Syndrome is not at all the same.

I have recieved attention for my depression. Lately though I dont feel very depressed. I am usually in a better mood when I can exercise. Its hard too keep up a regular workout pattern though. I am not using these meds to inmprove my mood. I am in a good mood because good things are happening. I am back together with my ex. We split up long before any of this was an issue. So let me make that clear now. Our split up is not related to any of this. Believe me, I do not want to mess things up with her. I refuse to let this ruin what we have.(dont want people to get confused)

I know I should slow down. Its just not in my nature anymore. I feel to compelled to continue what is going on.

I know I am headed down a slippery slope. I am trying to remain vigilant. I appreciate all of your advice. Thank you for understanding, as well us helping me to understand my own situation from another perspective.

I am not here to contradict everything that is said to me. Nor do I refuse to listen to reason. I am trying to keep an open mind.

Thank you. You have no idea how much this advice means to me.

Last edited by The Skitz; 05-13-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
(male)

The Skitz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
ps-i was wondering, as a baby/child did u suffer from chronic ear infections?
also, dont take everything you read to heart, alot is irrelevant to your issues
I cant recall if I did or not. I could ask my mother. I know I have some serious issues with my ear pressure and vision though. I have a stigmatism as well. My vision goes blurry when I have ear troubles as too.

Thanks for the support. I try not to take things to heart. Its just hard sometimes.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

it is hard sometimes-me too. i ask about chronic ear infections because i recently read an interesting article about same and later as an adult causing quite severe gastro/stomach issues as we r not allowed to give other web sites i am unable to give you thi info that may help you-but you could try googling chronic ear inf childhood treated w antibiotics or google homepathic drs and chronic childhoo ear inf treated e antibiotics-you can word it many ways you get the drift-it can be quite painful as you describe-no wonder the pain medicine is making a difference and you deserve some quality life like anybody else would in our state of constant pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
The Skitz (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Hi,
I just have to respond to your posts as some of the others have. While I don't doubt that you have something going on medically, and that you do suffer from episodes of pain, it seems to me that your condition is more acute, rather than chronic daily pain. You aren't going to find out what the condition is until you see the right doctors- a rheumy doctor, and and an internist, along with a gastroenterologist are all in order I am guessing from your description and possibly the addition of an ear , nose and throat doctor to help with the sinus and headache issues, and maybe a neurologist who may be able to help tie some of this together, all of them may be able to give you a diagnosis and then get you on the right meds to help you.

That aside, you do give out many red flags in your posts-tolerance is an issue that happens because of a steady intake of a medication ( pain medication or benzodiazepeine types come to mind). Tolerance issues are usually found in people who are taking daily amounts of these types of medications. However, tolerance doesn't usually increase that fast, although in some individuals it does, but I think that in your situation that you have simply increased your base dose of medication so much by taking two and three times what you are supposed to , that it isn't tolerance but a bit of withdrawal that you are experiencing from raising your base level so much and then running out or having to seriously cut back to make it to what you think might be a time frame that your doctor will give you another script.
I wouldn't be surprised if I were you , if you are urine tested at your next visit to make sure that you are taking what he is giving you, at the prescribed doses, not higher and not lower.

Given the descriptions of your conditions, it seems to me that you really shouldn't be taking daily doses of the pain medications anyway. It is/was supposed to be used sparingly for the worst of the days- when the GI symptoms or the headaches were not able to be managed in other ways.

Upping your own dosage, for any reason is a big, huge red flag waving in front of your and your doctor's face. I suspect that the reason that he reduced the number of daily doses that he gave you is because he suspects the same thing that some of us do. You are self medicating. It doesn't matter how much pain any of us are in, on any given day, we are not allowed to increase our dosages unless and until we have cleared it with our doctors first. To do anything else can and eventually will result in us being kicked out of the office of the doctor we are seeing, get a big, red flag listed in our medical records which will follow us whereever we go after, and it can also create yet another red flag with our pharmacy records, which is as bad as it is in our medical records with our doctors. Each prescription is for a given period of time- ie 60 oxycodone /30 days= 2 per day maximum , 90 oxycodone /30 days=3 per day maximum. If we take more than that, we can not fill another prescription for 29 days or so, give or take a day or two, depending on our insurance. If you fill on the 28th day last month, then by the pharmacy records, you now have medications to last you 32 days- so if you try to fill again at day 28 of the new prescription and it happens to go through, you now have meds for 36 days and if you try to fill a new prescription in month three, you won't be able to ......

The big problem that you are having is that one pill just isn't enough so you think that two will somehow be better, but then in a short time, your body will become accustomed to two and pain relief won't be as good, so you will take three- doing that results in one not being enough and 10 won't be enough eventually....you are heading down the slippery slope of becoming addicted to the good feelings that you get from the med, not so much for the pain relief. Doing what you are doing is what happens to someone who becomes addicted- they keep chasing the feeling that you get from the med- the problem is that you can never get that back....so you keep taking more and more and eventually, at the rate that you are going, are going to be using a month's worth of meds in just a few short days- then spending the rest of the month trying to figure out ways to get more- eventually it will all catch up with you and you will start loosing those good things happening in your life.

The other huge red flag is that you didn't follow through with the colonoscopy. Even though you rescheduled it, I seriously doubt that your doctor is going to give you another prescription until you have that done and see the gastroenterologist for the results, if he gives you one then. I suspect that your GP is concerned with the amount of meds that you are taking already and hence the reason he cut you down , I wouldn't be surprised if he tells you that any futher pain medications need to come from the gastro overseeing your testing.

I am glad to read that you seem to be so happy with how your life is going currently, it does sound like a lot of good things are happening, but there is an underlying tone to your posts that almost make it sound as if you feel somewhere in your head or your heart of hearts that without taking as much pain medication as you are, that you will somehow not be able to keep up and to maintain all of those good things. That somehow the good things happening in your life are because of/dependent upon you taking as much of the medications you are currently taking. The good things happening in your life are far more entertwined with how you are getting regular excercise, your self esteem has risen as a result, you made a concious decision to do something positive about your situation and then the actions to make that happen.....so you are the "reason" for those good things happening, not the medication. If you keep the motivations sustained to keep moving forward with your life, then the good things will happen with or without the medication.

I get the feeling from reading what you've written so far, that you are using the medications to give you the "boost" that you feel that you need to keep up with all of the changes going on in your life right now. Only you can answer that question for yourself but it is something to think about.

I am not saying any of this to hurt your feelings or to dump on you, but I am concerned and I think that there are others here who are too. You are throwing up huge, red flags all over the place and by your own words, it seems that you are connecting the good things in your life with your use of pain meds- I hope that you follow the advice of some of us who are suggesting that you follow through with the testing, see the right combination of doctors and then see how the pain can be managed through other means than relying on oral pain medications. And I hope , for your sake that you at least think about what some of us have said to you and do some serious soul searching as to why you are taking more meds than you are supposed to be- you don't have to answer us ( me) here, but you do have to answer yourself- be brutally honest in seeking those answers because they will be what helps you to help yourself and your doctors in giving you their best chance to help you.
Back

Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Very well said backhurtz! My feelings exactly....janiee

Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
(female)

You find all kinds of people on a Pain Management Board, most who have either been where you are or have loved someone in your shoes. What any of us want is for you doesn't come in a bottle; it has to come from within. You are a smart guy with a long road ahead of you. Don't sell yourself short by giving the credit to Vicoden. You are way too more important than that.

Accutane and its later effects are just coming to the forefront, I urge you to continue medical treatment. I have to say it again, you are 24.....live your life. I wish you only the best!
jamie

Closed Thread