It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User
Question Fell down flight of stairs (13 of them)

As though I'm not in enough pain & have enough problems with my spine, now I haven't a clue how bad I screwed up my back even more!! Got xrays in ER- broke my 8th rib, but no other broken bones. Awaiting MRI's to see what else I did to myself. Damn, just when my pain management was going well......I feel like I just took 6 years backwards. I'm really sad about this.And my pain is so intense now

Also, how do I go about talking to my PM MD now that I am in more pain due to my new accident? Do I go in for an early appt? Thanks!!

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

The following user gives a hug of support to babs17:
Outtapain (05-25-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
(female)

Erosangel HB User
Re: Fell down flight of stairs (13 of them)

Yes you should go in early. Explain what happened and give him/her the chance to help. I have Meniere's Disease so I have vertigo and fall a lot. I've just started on the PM but would think they would be very supportive. I know my Dr's always were.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
(female)

Outtapain HB User

Yes you should definatly schedule a earlier appointment and explain what happen. If you have to bring in the hospital papers from when they did the x-rays so you can show him you have a broken rib. I hope it works out honey!!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Babs,
Call your PM doctor and ask him or her how they would like you to manage the pain from the ribs. You didn't take and fill a prescription for pain medications from the ER did you? If you did take it, do NOT fill it until you have first cleared it with your PM doctor, or you may find yourself dismissed, despite you having an accident and breaking your ribs.
Most PM contracts say that you are not to accept or fill a prescription from another doctor, including the ER unless you have cleared it with your PM doctor first.
I always call my PM doctors office if I am having any dental work done that might require me to take pain medications and ask them if they want me to fill it, or bring it over there or how they would like me to handle those problems when they come up.
I would hope that in your case that they would be understanding given the situation but I know that others here and on other forums have been dismissed, even in situations like yours.

Closed Thread