It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

KathieL HB User
MC1R gene

I have red hair and I never knew about this mutation until last week. It fits me to a T. I have always had trouble with pain meds working for me. I have had some surgeries and was given a pain pump while in the hospital. Never took the pain away. Same with asprin or other meds for general pain. Same when I go to the dentist. Wow, what an eye opener to have discovered this. I found out by watching an episode of "The Doctors" and then I researched it on my computer. I talked to my doctor about it too. I recently had back surgery and no wonder why the pain meds haven't worked. Knowing this doesn't make it any better for me, but at least now I have an answer as to why pain meds don't work for me.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User
Re: MC1R gene

Has it been confirmed without doubt, now?

Last I heard: It is unclear whether this gene affects basal pain sensitivity or the efficacy of analgesics acting at the more clinically relevant mu-opioid receptor.

There isn't exactly a wealth of information on it out there. If true, though, maybe we can start admitting that not everyone on earth is the exact same bag of bones and things like genes and race really do matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: MC1R gene

Not trying to hurt your feelings...But I have brown hair and have high tolerance to narcotic pain medication. I do not think anybody can even compete with me on that one cause i will be the winner. I will beat you, believe me. 10mg oxycontin one week, then 20mg oxycontin for 2 weeks and then 40mg oxycontin and now here I take it slow and suffer. Same goes with Percocet. 5mg for a week and then right away thing 10mg I am getting tired of this situation cause narcotic is the only thing that works for me.

I hate living like that. But remember, I have BROWN HAIR.

Closed Thread