It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
(male)

smithesque HB User
Question How do I know if a pharmacy-phone-in opioid refill request is being rejected?

Quick summary: 5/500 hydrocodone/aceto for lower back pain. Doc prescribes 45 at a time. They last about a month. I phone the pharmacy (CVS, Texas) for a refill once they're used up, they contact him, he approves, they refill. Usually all within the same day. Have been doing this for about 8 months with no issues. I take between half and two 5/500 as needed. Meds still work fine, and no sign of any kind of tolerance. In fact, I usually wait about two weeks after I've run out before requesting a refill. Call me paranoid but I like to check that I'm not developing any kind of tolerance/dependence, and two weeks of back pain and no meds is worth it to make sure I don't suffer any kind of withdrawal which would indicate some physical dependence developing.

However:

Most recent refill request was phoned on Friday morning, and when I phone to check if it's ready, the automatic system still tells me "This prescription is already being refilled but is not yet ready". I popped in on Friday evening (when the system had said it would be ready) but they said they still hadn't received docs approval. So usually approved on the same day, now we're on day 3.

So question:

If a doc decides not to refill, anyone know what that looks or sounds like in these pharmacy phone system setups? Does it just stay forever in the state of "...not yet ready"? In which case, how long should I wait before going to visit the doc? Or does it change to some form of an explicit "This was declined -- go talk to your doc"?

thx.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: How do I know if a pharmacy-phone-in opioid refill request is being rejected?

You know, it's probably just like any of our jobs where sometimes emergencies come up and we don't get something done right away. Your doc may be on vacation or may be sick or with a family emergency and probably just didn't get to it yet. I would just call the dr. office and find out if they have called in approval of the refill yet. I think there is a limit on the number of "refills" you can get for hydrocodone. I think in my state it's three refills and then a new paper prescription must come in. Maybe that's the hold up.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: How do I know if a pharmacy-phone-in opioid refill request is being rejected?

Yep..could be as simple as they closed early on Friday,vacation, or they just didn't have time to verify your file by Friday close of business..

Obviously they are not there on Sat/Sun like most Dr.s offices being closed...

My Dr.s office requires that all refills or call in to pu prescriptions are to be called in no earlier than 72 hours...So you have been lucky for a day turnaround..

From now on I would just watch the pill count and try to not have it happen on a Friday and give them a few days notice...You just call and say that you won't need to pick up until X day...but you're calling to give them time to fill the order...

As Toonces mentioned...it could be you are due to come in...Laws are changing now for narcotic prescriptions and how often the Dr. needs to see you to monitor everything...It helps both you and the Dr. in the long run..

Well..hopefully it will be ready for you on Monday...Good luck!

Closed Thread