It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

tylerbrown HB User
Unhappy lumbar fusion

Hello all,
I hope someone can relate to this and I'll try to keep it as short as I can! I have had two lumbar fusions (one in 2008 and one in 2009) and I'm in a very unique situation with workers comp. I was told I needed a third surgery about a year ago and it was confirmed through another neurosurgeon appointed from the commissioner. Unfortunately this has been dragging on and on for over a year now and my symptoms are getting worse. I have a failed fusion, a bad disc at L3/L4 (which is the level of the failed fusioin) and a compressed nerve at S1 on the right. I have had severe pain running down the back of my leg into my toes for quited some time now but recently I have been experiencing stabbing pains in my SI joints, horrible pain in the front of my thigh in addition to the back of my thigh, and now all of a sudden my hips are extremely painful! I can barely lay on my side, in fact it kept me up all night. With all the red tape with workers comp I haven't been able to see a doctor recently and I was wondering if anyone has similar symptoms? What the heck could be going on????? Any input is greatly appreciated I'm so depressed...

Old 05-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: lumbar fusion

Wow, this sounds like a lot of pain, and a pain in the ___ do have to get it approved through worker's comp. Do you have an attorney? I wonder if they could help you get your treatment sped up. It would be awful to have to live with this pain. What is the hold up? I also wanted to tell you there is a "back problems" board where there might be a few more people who have been through this. Many people here have spine problems, but this board is not exclusively for back/neck people.

When I had a failed fusion in my neck, my 2nd surgeon told me it was dangerous for me to just be moving about my life because if I got in an accident and the little titanium plate failed, I would be paralyzed. I've also heard people say that if you wait too long for surgery for nerve compression, the damage can become permanent. that's why I'm concerned if you have a lawyer because they might be able to protect your interests in getting treatment ASAP and then let him/her deal with all the red tape.

GOOD LUCK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

tylerbrown HB User

Thanks for the response, and sorry - I thought I posted on the spine board! I actually do have an attorney believe it or not. I moved out of state and that's the big hold up. I finally did get approval for a doctors appointment for this state but it's not scheduled yet. I am at my wits end with all of this because I've been getting worse and worse.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
(male)

Rob61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbrown View Post
Thanks for the response, and sorry - I thought I posted on the spine board! I actually do have an attorney believe it or not. I moved out of state and that's the big hold up. I finally did get approval for a doctors appointment for this state but it's not scheduled yet. I am at my wits end with all of this because I've been getting worse and worse.

I feel for you I went through the workers comp in NY and I did win. The first thing is (And I do not know if it is the same where you are as in NY) is find a good lawyer ask around and see who was happy with theirs. Then (this is where I am not sure how it works where you are) go to the Dr you want. In NY I could go to any Dr that I wanted and they HAD to pay that bill.

Once you do that then you would have to wait for the test that he ordered. But you can ask your lawyer for a hearing and you will get one, and he will ask for permission for the test.

I went as far as paying for an MRI that they denied and at the next hearing the judge slapped them with a fine for not approving it.

I do feel for you I also have a failed surgery at the levels of L4-L5 L5-S1 and now L3-L4 is a mess with degenerative disc I have rods screws bone dowel from a cadaver the works, I also am in pain even with the meds.

You have to keep fighting, you cannot let them win. They do this because there are people out there that are scamming the system and WE end up paying for it. It took me 2 years but I won I also like you had better reports from THEIR Dr's then mine. But at this point there is nothing more they can do for me, and I am going to the Dr next week for the last MRI that was done and I can imagine what he is going to say to me, But I will never have another surgery again I figured if they could not fix me the one time then no more. I have enough problems and just want to go on with my life, as hard as it is.

Good luck and do not let them win

Fight them with all you got and you will come out the winner.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
(female)

tylerbrown HB User

Thank you so much for the pep talk. I just can't believe how they can treat people who have a legitamite problem!! Workers comp isn't approving pain management so I have been paying for that and I recently gave the pharmacist my workers comp info when I dropped off my meds and workers comp hasn't approved that yet either. It's absolutely ridiculous. I received a phone call from my lawyer and he said they are willing to pay for surgery out of state (because the commissioner told them to 2 months ago) so I had all of my records send to a neurosugeon in the area and he has had them for two weeks. I know it doesn't sound long but to me it is!! I have been getting progressively worse and worse and no-one even knows or cares for that matter. I guess this doctor has to review my records to see if he wants to take me on as a patient.... Ugh... I just hope this doesn't turn into another friggin nightmare for me. I wont give up though!! Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
failed lumbar fusion, groin pain, hip pain