It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
(male)

sikofit HB User
pharmicy misscounted my meds:(

For weeks now I've been getting 85 10mg oxycodones every 2 weeks. this last thursday my doc decded to give me a months worth every month which was fine w/ me. so on friday I was breaking down my script into the weekly pill planners when it became apparant that I' short quite a few. so I went from 3x a day down to 2x a day(down from 4) which filled my containers up.. and after doing some math... it looks like the pharmicy gave me my regular 84 instead of increasing it to 120(I though the bottle smead small?!)
so my question is: I'm prestty much SOL aint I? like they'd take my word over a phram. tech I figure reporting it is a waste of time correct?
From now on though I'm sureer than shoot gonna dump them aoll out on their counter and count them RIGHT in front of them cause now I'm so incrediably SCREWED to be missing 40!!! thats a 1/3 of whats supossed to get me thruogh this. and this is just my Luck

am I right tho? its a waste of time to call my doc or pharmicy?
edit: I kmow No one will correct the error for me and will just assume I'm trying to pull some thing but should I let my doctor know anywaysso they'll be possibly aware to a pharmicist making mistakes or being tricky?

This month is gonna SUCK big time.. idk what to do w/ mself

Last edited by sikofit; 05-29-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User
Re: pharmicy misscounted my meds:(

Hi Sikofit. First what does the bottle say the amount is. Next call the pharmacy and talk to them asap. They scewed me five different times on my meds. Twice they gave me vicodin instead of lortab, BIG MISTAKE. The other time they gave me 90 pills instead of 120. Yes, I called the pharmacists and got my pills back. And one time I got out of the hospital with kidney stones and had a script called in for lortabs and the pharmacists said since I already had a script for lortab he threw my script away. Last they gave me a wrong script altogether. So call the pharamacist RIGHT away. If no luck try your Dr. Being a controlled substance, he might do nothing. Also, with the pharmacicts, ask what the amount of pills is. Dr. could have writted it for the old amount. Had that happen to me also. Get on the phone asap and GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted. DEE088

Last edited by dee088; 05-29-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: wrong name

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The pharmacy should have an exact count of all their narcotics. It's not something they're supposed to screw up. Call them and get it sorted out.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I'm confused on your amount of medicine...If you were getting 85 every two weeks...that is 170 for 30 days......If you had 85 pills for 14 days...that equals out to 6 per day...

So if you are quoting the 120...and the Dr. wants this to now last for 30 days..that is 4 per day..

*** Also be aware that now you are getting monthly perscriptions...obviously some months have 31 days so either you need to adjust your dosage accordingly depending on when you get another prescription...or see if the Dr. give you an extra days worth...

Because if you take the 4 per day you will be out by day 30...

Hope you can get this sorted out asap..

Last edited by Administrator; 06-03-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hey,

Call the pharm, talk to the pharmacist, not a tech or asst. Stay calm, do not get assertive or defensive or the conversation will not go well, trust me.

They have to keep an exact count of all narcotics they sell, and all meds for that matter, so there should be an out of count log for that day. Did you notice this on the same day you got your pills? What does your bottle say, make sure it's for the new amount.

From now on, for the next few months at least, check your pills as soon as you get them, make sure you get the right amount. Even if it means sitting in the waiting section and counting them before leaving the pharmacy.

let us know how it goes.

kat

Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
(male)

sikofit HB User

thanks for the quick replies and sorry for the confusion, I'll try to straighten it out on tuesday when they open. to clear things up I was getting 90/10mg oxcy's every 2weeks and we just switched to a 2month basis so now its 120mg/month. I wasm't sure if I should calll the pharmicy or doctor cause I imagine them raising an eye brow at me and possibly making a mark in my file? I didn't count them out exactly when I 1st got them but its looking more and more look like the script was filled for only 90 even thouhj the bottle DOES say 120.

ths is gonna be a long month!!!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Hmm...now I'm even more confused...

Your first post says you got 85 every 2 weeks....(that would be 170 for 4 weeks...or 30 days/month)...

And then you write in that same original post that you didn't get the " 'usual 84'...and you are missing 40 pills!"...

None of that equals 40 pills...120-85 is 35...

But you were getting 170 pills per month before...

And now this new prescription is for 120 for the month....(and this last post you say you were getting 90 every two weeks???)

and you also say in this last post you all are going to every two months...

Just fyi...oxycodone does not have refills..it's a schedule 2 medicine....are you saying you got 2 writtend prescriptions for this...and the other is post dated for the following month?

So...it seems like you would know exactly how many pills you were taking and getting each month..

The big issue is how many pills do you take each day?
What does the prescription say per dosage...per day?

If it's only been a day or two since you filled this...I would call and ask the pharmacy if their pill count matches you bottle count of 120...

If it's been more than a few days...is it possible that you are taking more med than you realize...or someone else has access to your meds and are stealing them from you?

Just fyi..our Dr.s expect us to really know and keep track of our medicine and following the prescription exactly...

Hope you can get this straightened out..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 05-30-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
(male)

sikofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
Hmm...now I'm even more confused...

Your first post says you got 85 every 2 weeks....(that would be 170 for 4 weeks...or 30 days/month)...

And then you write in that same original post that you didn't get the " 'usual 84'...and you are missing 40 pills!"...

None of that equals 40 pills...120-85 is 35...

But you were getting 170 pills per month before...

And now this new prescription is for 120 for the month....(and this last post you say you were getting 90 every two weeks???)

and you also say in this last post you all are going to every two months...

Just fyi...oxycodone does not have refills..it's a schedule 2 medicine....are you saying you got 2 writtend prescriptions for this...and the other is post dated for the following month?

So...it seems like you would know exactly how many pills you were taking and getting each month..

The big issue is how many pills do you take each day?
What does the prescription say per dosage...per day?

If it's only been a day or two since you filled this...I would call and ask the pharmacy if their pill count matches you bottle count of 120...

If it's been more than a few days...is it possible that you are taking more med than you realize...or someone else has access to your meds and are stealing them from you?

Just fyi..our Dr.s expect us to really know and keep track of our medicine and following the prescription exactly...

Hope you can get this straightened out..
sorry for the confusion! I had to look at my bottles to clear it up(I break them into weekly planners). I usually get 10mg every 4hours or 6/day(which due to insomnia last for 20-22hrs). And I found where ALL the confusion came from, the pharmicy was most likely right on the money with 120pills(hopefully!). I thought they were wrong cause I didn't get to fill my weekly containers right, but as it turns out it was my doctor who made the mistake. He worte the Rx for 10mg every 6hrs(which i dont know about you guys but oxycodone only lasts me ~4hrs) instead of every 4hrs. so its no big deal I'll just make an appt for the 15th when I'll be running out. sorry about that! I'm all scatterbrained latley

edit: I know theres no refills on narcotics which is why I was going every 2weeks and now that the doc knows and trusts me he bumped it up to 1x/month. I take any where from 4-8 pills a day fyi, on the days I can get by on 4 I take 4 on the days where I did too much or theres a low pressure coming through I take 6-8 depending. and yes my doc knows. also I don't count my pills, it makes me even more peressed, same reason why I break them into weekly planners, I don't like looking at all of them all the time.

Last edited by sikofit; 05-30-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User
Thumbs up Re: pharmicy misscounted my meds:(

Hey Sikofit, I get you 100% percent and take my tabe as you do. Easy days 4, hard days 8, not to exceed 8 in 24 hrs when on lortabs. I am glad you figured this out somewhat. Best wishes to you. DEE088

Last edited by dee088; 05-30-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: need to add statement

Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
People can read my posts...or not...doesn't matter to me...
My intention is to help...
Not sure I recall saying anything about either of these....just making an additional point that in the world of Pain Managment it's not always so cut and dried. I've been doing this since I was 17....ummm....25 yrs, gosh I'm getting old!, I've had awful experiences, and great ones. i've been with my current doc for 12 yrs, and she and I are also good friends, and she does it all by the rules and the book, and keeps great chart notes as well. So nothing that I'm RX'd or take in any way, shape, form or fashion is not covered. But PM is a very large establishment and there are many ways to do it, by many diff. kinds of docs with many diff. standards and practices, THAT was my point.

kat

Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was really just directing that statement in general...not to you...

I think we are on the same page...and saying the same things...

I just wanted the OP to be careful about taking 8 each day when 6 is his max...

You must learn a lot of the stories that I hear from my Dr. when we meet for lunch or coffee....Obviously he never violates HIPAA law....but can share things in general about what he has been through and seen over 25 years as an Anesthesiologist and PM Dr..Some is funny....some is pathetic....and lots are just stories about trying to help those in pain...

Like some women don't ever realize that they are looking at the purse you bring in...if it's really heavy...and got all this stuff in it...they will make a mental note that she has no problem carrying this everyday...but is saying they can barely raise their arm or hold a pencil....etc....that's what I meant is they are observing us...seeing if we are wanting to be a partner....or just some person who only wants narcotics...

It really is fun to have some Dr.s as friends...I really love to learn new things...my other one is a Neurosurgeon...so I got to watch my actual video of my surgery...ewwww...but pretty cool...

So..I hope I wasn't coming off as snarky...just matter of factly to the OP as it's been a confusing post and the numbers weren't adding up..

Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Smile Re: pharmicy misscounted my meds:(

Good points to both ladies. But to I lovemycutedog, how is someone going to urine test you know if you are taking 8 or 6 tabs a day? I also need to know what type of dog do you have. Dee088

Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
(male)

sikofit HB User

yikes thanks for the responses but some people are reading too far into, or not enough of everything I typed...or maybe my posts are confuzing?

-I've been getting 10mg every 4 hours for months.
-I used to see the doc every 2 weeks which comes out to 84/wk(sorry for my own confuzion)
-Now I see him once a month and should be recieving 180 a month, how ever the doc slipped up and wrote 1 every 6hrs which was def an accident because he asked before hand if I needed an increase which I declined.
-I didn't notice until breaking them into 7day planners that the script had changed.
-So now I reschedualed my appt earlier to the 15th when I'll run out of them while taking 6/day.
-I called the doc to clarify all this
-the bottle (usually)says 1 every 4hrs but also says PRN on it and Ive told him how I take them
-I am not in a pain clinic and am not on a narcotic contract.
-I dont need to and dont want to 'count pills' by using the 7day planners, counting pills makes me more depressed and brings my self esteem down even lower.

any other questions/points anyone wants to make?

Last edited by sikofit; 05-31-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

In general when a bottle says "every 4 hours PRN" it means every 4 hours IF needed. Not every 4 hours AND if needed more.

Pup

Last edited by pupcake; 05-31-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

hi sik-i am not gonna read to much into ur post lol, i know what u mean too about counting meds and the big bottles and your self esteem. am glad u got everything straight. being in so much pain so often-we really do count on the pharmacy and dr getting our prescriptions rite so we dont drive ourselves nuts second guessing ourselves

Closed Thread