It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Question Off Cymbalta now on to Zoloft...

Hey everyone, I don't usually start threads but I do occasionally posts replies. However, now I feel as though some members can help me out (I sure hope so!). I'm a 52yo male and I've been on Oxy for the past 5-8 years for chronic next pain. Recently my Mom passed (it's now been a little over a year ago) from a long battle with MS, she was 72. As one would expect, I suffered some depression for awhile but when it (along with whatever else) got onto 9 months later and I'd start crying out of the blue and feeling like crap, I reached out for help. I've now been seeing a therapist about once a week for the past two to three months or so. It's helped but the decision was made to start on an anti-depressant. The doc picked Cymbalta and explained how hit or miss the meds for depression are. I told her I was quite familiar with it after living with an ex who was bi-polar for 27 years (BP the last 10-15 years). She went through so many drug variations, I don't even know. So, again - I get it.

So, fast forward a bit and last Sunday/Monday I started getting a neck/headache like no other I've ever experienced! I had been on 60mg for 3-4 weeks and I was flat out from Sunday night through Wednesday. Needless to say, I stopped taking the Cymbalta immediately and have now been off it 7 days. I'm better with minimal side effects, yeah!!

Today, the doc replaced the Cymbalta with the generic version of Zoloft (insurance requires the generic). Once the headaches started with the Cymbalta, I started to research this site and others for what was going wrong. I was 99% sure it was the Cymbalta after reading tons of posts with similar problems. I truly feel I made a good decision to stop it. But now I fear the Zoloft for similar reasons. I'm aware many CP'ers are also on anti-depression meds and are the ones to pose this question to, so here I am.

What am I getting into and is there hope this could work? Any side effects anyone's experienced I should pay particular attention to. I am obviously aware of the sexual ones and if they aren't too bad, I can live with it. My wife and I aren't what you'd call, active. I'm really hoping you guys can help me out. Thank you so much!!

Last edited by mju58; 05-31-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Better Wording

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread