It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
(male)

sikofit HB User
lets hear your PM flak stories!

This is something I've been having a hard time with for months. the way people act towards you, their attitude towards you and comments they'll make about you taking pain meds.
My roomate(and good friend) always gives me attitude about it and feels like no ones 'needs' pain killers, and I figure that just because his worst injury was getting the tip of a finger slightly crushed. he makes synd remarks or when we argue about other stuff he always brings up pain meds to bring me down going as far as calling me a junky one day.. I almost lost it on him after that.

I had a cousin totally loose it on me one day because his mom is a huge addict, he went off on me callin me all sorts of things like a pill head etc and that really hurt..we still haven't talked since.

Then yesterday I got a voicemail from my mom saying I need to cut down on my meds, that I should be feeling better by now from the surgury. she was sayin how I always got off them asap and I could hear her tryin not to cry in the message... I didn't even get out of bed until 4pm that day.

I wish I didn't need them too, I wish I didn't hurt like I do.. I wish many things.
and being surronded by people that care...is good, but not when they make me feel even lower about my situation. I've been getting injured all my life and its in my nature to hide my pain, so no one even realizes how much I still hurt(besides for my doc)
and am I even on allot of pain meds? 10mg oxycodone 4x a day? it doesn't seem like it cause it doesn't take care of all the pain and it doesn't leave me feeling loopy. they had me on strong NSAIDS for months at first and those sent me to the hospital multiple times with internal bleeding problems.

anyone want to share their expierences and how they've handled them?

Last edited by sikofit; 06-02-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
Re: lets hear your PM flak stories!

After a few bad incidents, I learned to keep my mouth shut Only my closest family/friends know about this but I still dont talk to most of them about it, only a few. They cant understand.

Ok, here's the story that brought me to the point of keeping my mouth shut~

We were at a party at our 'good friend's' house. After my 'friend' had a few drinks, she blurted out of nowhere, in front of everyone. 'So, you're a drug addict now huh?' My other 'friend' nodded her head and said 'yup, she sure is!' They went on to discuss my 'drug addiction' and wouldnt let me get a word in edgewise to defend myself. I walked away, towards my truck to go home, sad that my friends werent what I thought they were. There were a group of other 'friends' hanging out near my truck. As soon as I walked up, a 'friend' loudly asked the group if anyone had a pain pill because his wife just called and said she had a migraine. Ya, right.

So, I know it'd be pretty hard to hide this from a roomate, but, I would stop telling everyone, never mention your pain and the pills again and let them assume you're all better now. Then find a friend or two that is sympathetic and kind that can be your support system in this.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: lets hear your PM flak stories!

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time with it, but you basically have to just develop a thicker skin and not let it get to you. You know that you're doing what's best for you and its completely legit, so who cares what others think. I've gotten to where I don't care who knows and I don't try to hide it, because that just makes it look like your ashamed and your doing something wrong.

My ex-husbands girlfriend's (the one he left our 22yr long marriage for and now lives with) favorite topic is my "drug addiction". She sends me nasty emails and text messages telling me what a druggy I am and how I'm such a bad influence to my sons. If I actually listened to her and took it seriously I'd be a basket case by now. But I know what's true and what's not and so do my boys, so who cares what that bimbo has to say?

And honestly, no, you are not on a lot of pain meds, 40mg a day of oxycontin is not much at all.

kat

Closed Thread