It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
(female)

Lindy77 HB User
Experience with OxyIR v Dilaudid???

Hi all,
Oxy IR v DilaudidÖ what seems to work better for people (for breakthrough pain)?

My severe pain seems to have come back and Oxy IR isnít really taking much of my pain away. I have been on Dilaudid, pill form (forget the mg), last year for a UC flare up and it helped tremendously. However, this time around the doctors wanted to try me on Oxy IR (along with Oxycontin).

Iím considering asking my doctor if he could possibly switch me to Dilaudid to control my breakthrough pain, or whatever he thinks may be best. My pain has just come back, and itís been terrible. So, I was wondering if anyone out there had experiences with these drugs and what worked best for them.

Thanks; I appreciate any insight as Iím kind of new to all of this.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
(male)

mju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB Usermju58 HB User
Re: Experience with OxyIR v Dilaudid???

I haven't tried Dilaudid but I used to be on Oxy and the IR. Unfortunately, I was on such a large daily dose of Oxy (400mg) that whenever I needed to take the IR, I'd needed like 8-12 5mg pills for me even to recognize I took anything. I suppose I was just too narcotic tolerant. If I were you, I'd go for the Dilaudid and hope it worked on the brain differently than the Oxy and you get the relief you need. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Your docs switched you most likely because there is a great reduction in prescribing of Dilauded. It is going to be going off market as an out patient pain medication. I'm surprised you have a doc that is still willing to RX it. Have you tried Percocet or something that works on a different receptor....what is your la med?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Oxycontin 20mg 2 x daily and Oxy IR 20 mg as needed or every 4-6hrs.

I used to be on Dilauded, Fetynal and Percocet, but when I was hospitalized, the pain management doctor thought this might be a better combo. He was willing to do the other, but I told him I would go with whatever he thought was best.

I have an appointment Monday, so Iíll see what my Doctor says.

Thank you both MJU and Katlin for your responses; I appreciate it.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
(male)

Just a quick comment for what it's worth. Your LA med is only 40mg daily but your breakthrough med is 20mg every 4-6 hours or as needed. I think that's out of whack. Either your LA should be higher or your BT should be lower, I'd guess the first. In a typical scenario, you'd be taking as much BT as LA and that's not right. I don't know what others experience is but that's been mine over the past 10-15 years. Take Care~!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Lindy,

Hey, that's probably why you aren't noticing the oxyIR working, since your on Oxy for long acting pain as well....they both hit the exact same reactors, since they're the same drug. You definitely should talk to your doc about increasing your Oxycontin. You shouldn't need to be taking your BT med regularly, they're only there for backup on days when the pain is spiking. Give one of the other BT meds a try, Percocet on one of those, they work on different pain centers in the brain, so it tends to help more when you have to take them.

Good luck at your appt., hope you'll come back and let us know how you're doing and how it went. have a great weekend.

kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Lindy77 (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Thank you for your insight. I was in the hospital when they switched my medications around from the Dilaudid/Fetynal/Percocet. The PM Dr was willing to give me all that in pill forms so I could go home, but he recommended the other, so I went with his recommendations. I see the PM Dr. on the 22nd, unless there is a cancellation (which I hope.) I had to cancel my apt. this week because I was hit with my first ever god awful terrible migraine. I'll ask him what he thinks. It's just my BT meds don't really take away much of my pain. Who knows. But, I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

What are you taking your medications for? (You don't have to answer that if you don't want to.)

Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Katlin,

Sorry, I didnít see your response when I hit the post reply button.

Thanks for informing me on this, like I saidÖ Iím new to all this stuff. I thought it was unusual to be taking my BT medication so often, but I hurt and it doesnít seem to go away. My LA doesnít seem to be helping like it should. This is a flare-up from hell.

I appreciate yíall being so informative, nice and wanting to know how my appointment goes. I hope something productive will be accomplished as Iím sick of being in pain and taking all kinds of meds (just as Iím sure most people on here are.)

Hope you have a great weekend as well Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Lindy,

*l* I'm an open book. I have a Degenerative Cartiledge Disease and Advanced Osteoarthritis in my knees. I've been doing this since I was 17. have had many, many surgeries, 21 in the last 12 years alone. My left knee was rebuilt in '09 an is mostly screws and metal rods. I'm due for total replacements of both knees but unfortunately I'm only 43....so until I age, or the technology gets better, my ortho and I are putting it off as long as possible. So, as long as i can walk, which I can somewhat, i deal with the pain and keep going. I'm currently on Morphine 120mg/day, Percocet 10/325 up to 6/day, Advil 1600mg/day, Lidocaine patches and Voltaren Gel. I keep my pain to around a 4 - 5 most days.

I'm sorry to hear about the migraine. I also have cluster migraines and a seizure disorder....I get migraines that last for 5 - 13 days.....it sucks royally!

All of this keeps life interesting though....I guess the key is to not give up and not let the pain win...I still work full time, work in my flower/rose gardens, feed/groom my horses (can't ride anymore). You have to make adjustments...but you can still have a life.

Okay I'll get off my soapbox now! *l* Welcome to the boards, hope you find it as usefull as I have over the years!

kat

Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Katlin,
Wow, my heart goes out to you. Youíve been though a lot; I canít even imagine. Iíve had 2 knee surgeries from sports injuries (2 lateral releases) which hurt and my knees still arenít right, but nothing compared to what youíve had to endure. I hope technology advance soon so they can do something to help you. I donít know what it would be like to constantly live with pain around 4-5 daily, even with that amount of medication.

WOAH! Migraines lasting for that long! Oh my dear god! I CANNOT imagine that. What do you do for them? Mine only lasted one day, but someone told me a trickÖ 3 alkerselzers (sp?) and advil. Thatís what his neurologist recommended and he said it helped tremendously.

You have such a positive outlook. Iím trying to keep my chin up. Iím just a little down currently. I had to drop my summer courses and delay my graduation until December due to my disease. I was looking forward to graduating this summer and begin my work but this has put a halt on things. Gonna try to adopt a positive outlook; it will all work out in the long run. I hope.

Thanks, hope to stay in touch. Talk to you later!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Lindy,

I am on a daily anti-migraine med Topomax, which helps alot. At onset when migraines hit I take Axert, which is a newer generation triptan, it's an Almotriptan. And I take caffeine pills to mix with that. Caffeine is great at manipulating the dilation and narrowing of the blood vessels in the brain which cause migraines. Never tried the alkasel.....have to ask my neuro about that one, he might be holding out on me!

Kat

Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Well, I just got back from my doctor's appointment. He wants to send me to Emory in Atlanta to see what is going on, and he switched my BT meds to Dilaudid instead of the Oxy IR. So let's hope this combo will help

Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
(male)

Sounds like things are moving along pretty well at this point. Congrats! It sounds like you got want you were looking for and hopefully things will only get better. Good Luck!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

did he talk about increasing your LA med?

kat

Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Thanks guys!

Kat,
No. I met with my family doctor. I missed my pain management appointment due to my first ever horrific migraine. I'm rescheduled in a few weeks, so I needed something to last me until then. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has to say.

Closed Thread